Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify update on iPhone - battery draining rapidly

Spotify update on iPhone - battery draining rapidly

Hi,

I had an App Store update of Spotify on Monday since since then my iPhone 4S battery is draining at 15-20% per hour, to the point where I've had to stop using the app.  I haven't changed any settings and have been using Spotify for a number of months on my iPhone without any problems.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,

Linzi

P.S. I'd also like to add that this issue is still NOT SOLVED

61 Replies

Yes, my iPhone runs low on battery quickly. I absolutely love spotify for my iPhone, and really don't want to have to stop using it. Or even just refrain from using it at certain times(when I know I will need my phone for later).

I use Spotufy nearly all day so imagine my horror when my phone won't make it to lunch time anymore! As the problems started during the update, I've downloaded the Spotify for iOS4 users. Obvouisly, This does limit the features you get but, It does fix the battery drain! I would recommend you download the iOS4 version and wait for a update to fix the problem! Hope this helps

Me too. 20% an hour. 4s, latest of everything, AT&T "4G"

The problem seems to be resolved on my phone (plain old iPhone4) since the update before the most recent.

Exactly the same problem, running a 4s, problem was occuring on 5.1.1 yesterday and 6.0 today.

Even in airplane mode (no other apps open, lowest brightness) Spotify (offline mode, normal quality) is draining 15-20% battery in an hour (I haven't noticed the phone getting hot though).

Unsupprisingly this makes it pretty much useless for me to use on the go. This has only happened since the most recent update.

I've started to have this issue lately and today still with newest ios6. Normally when running only spotify on my iphone, I get ~10
% CPU usage. However I suddenly start to feel the phone to get hot on my pocket and check the CPU -> 50%. I pushed pause/play on spotify and CPU usage dropped to 10% again.

Fix this please. Kills the battery in couple hours.

I've worked throught this issue now. I found that a rogue app was using the location services to excess and causing the battery drain. I had to disable Location services to get this worked out then gradually turn them on again. The rogue app has since been deleted but I highly reccomend this approach.

Is there application for iphone that I can use to check CPU usage per process? WTB top.

Today again I was listening to spotify with iphone 4s/ios6 and noticed that cpu usage was close to 50%. I turned off all location services, but cpu usage stayed near 50%. Again when I paused spotify, then pressed play again, cpu usage went to normal 8-10%.

I'm getting some serious CPU usage / battery drain using Spotify on the iPhone 5. I fell asleep with Spotify playing music in the background and woke to find the phone burning hot and the battery almost depleted. It was at around 100% charge and fell to 50% within 1.5 hours.

Tried replicating the issue and had no issues getting the same results. Have restarted the app and rebooted the phone but the app is still draining the battery like no tomorrow.

I reinstalled and resynced my spotify local playlists. This didn't solve the problem.

I still have these issues, now even in iOS 6 😞

The problem is so severe that I normally don't use Spotify on the days where I am out and about a lot. The battery drain is extreme and the phone gets hot. 

This has now been an issue for several months. Hopefully the Spotify team will fix this before people start using other services. 

Here to corroborate this as well. My phone actually heats up and the battery drains extremely quickly when using Spotify. Even hitting pause, the phone still shows the play button in the taskbar and the album art in the lock screen, which leads me to think that Spotify is still using CPU power and draining even MORE battery. After an hour, my batter went from fully charged to 80%. This is a huge problem.

That "play button/lock screen" thing doesn't always happen, but it happens about half the time or more.

Also, I'm on the new iPhone, iOS6.

Just wanted to chime in and say same thing is happening on iPhone 5 with IOS6. Battery drains at a rate of 10% every 20 minutes. Battery rate was also just as bad on my iPhone 4 before switching but thought it was because battery was old and wasn't holding a charge as well. Very annoying.

Also I'm not sure if a version was released for iPhone 5 but screen has black areas at top and bottom.

Thanks.

Still having same issues with spotify. I am trying with carat to see what drains my battery. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carat/id504771500?mt=8

Just adding yet another "me too" comment regarding this issue in the hope Spotify will get into gear to resolve this quickly.

Glad to know that my suspicions of Spotify having a problem has caused the overheating and battery drain is confirmed and that I don't have a corrupt file needing a full iPhone 5 reset.

Please hurry with a fix Spotify!

Here are the Carat results for resource hogs on my system when only Spotify application is running:

xpcd

Music~iphone

Spotify

of which only spotify is user controllable process and I don't know about others because ios is closed system 😛

Add me to the list of people seeing massive battery drain. On iPhone 5 on Verizon with 3-5 bars of LTE, seeing about 10% battery drain every 15-20 minutes.

Another me too post here. It gets worse if I am in online mode which I have to turn on every time I run the app as it keeps logging me out

Having issues with the battery drain as well. 20% per hour when music is playing on Spotify (no streaming, offline mode only) and it started happening after one of the updates. It's not iPhones fault obviously. I have to say it is getting pretty frustrtating, I can't have my phone dead within 4-5 hours.

And I don't want to sound like an annoying customer, but is Spotify doing anything to resolve the issue? I see the last time a Spotify respresentative said anything was almost 4 months ago.

PS. I am just wondering why is this topic marked as resolved? I don't see a solution anywhere.

Suggested posts