Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify using mobile data even when cellular data turned off

Solved!

Spotify using mobile data even when cellular data turned off

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 12.4

My Question or Issue

Since updating the app last week, Spotify has started to use my mobile data to stream songs and podcasts even when they’re downloaded. This occurs when I am not on a wifi network. Cellular data use for Spotify is disabled through the iPhone settings, and the “use cellular data for downloads” option is turned off in the app. However when I play music or podcasts that are downloaded, my cellular data gets used, even though it is turned off through the iPhone settings. Switching the settings to offline mode through the app fixes the problem, but it’s annoying to have to toggle offline mode whenever I want to download a song. Is anyone else having this issue?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

Note that even if you've downloaded your songs the app can use data to update the cover cache, check for newer versions of a song and other general functions, that normally require internet connectivity. Keep in mind that the setting Download using cellular only affects downloads, not data used for streaming.

You can avoid this by setting your app in offline mode. You can learn how to do this here. We recommend using this setting instead of disabling cellular data through the iPhone setting menu, as it is the built in system that will definitely sever the connection to our servers. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

51 Replies

Hey @rtufjcnfick, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you check if you have another app using your mobile data, if the option is actually turned off in Settings > Mobile Data for that app, there's no way an app can use mobile data in iOS.

When you open Spotify it should indicate that there's no internet connection available (displays Spotify is offline at the bottom).

Just to make sure though, when on mobile data go to Spotify Settings > Playback and turn on Offline mode.

Also, make sure to install iOS 12.4.1 as it's the lastest version.

Thanks 🙂

This same thing is happening to me.

If my wifi connection drops off while I am streaming music Spotify will continuing streaming using data even though I have turned cellular data off in the iOS settings.

I just reinstalled the app and it is still doing this.

iOS: 12.4.1.

Phone: iPhone 7

Spotify: 8.5.23

Hey @HotHamWater@rtufjcnfick,

Could you try updating to iOS 13?

Thanks 🙂

I am currently experiencing the same problem with android. I can't confirm when the issue started, but I updated the app recently and the problem persists.

If I have pending files to download, after I turn on cellular data and even with the setting disabled, the app will still force to download everything with cellular data. I have attached a screenshot of my data usage tracker app where you can clearly see it's Spotify the app consuming the most data.

(Android 9 on a Moto G7 Power)

Same here. A few weeks ago I started noticing Spotify suddenly using my cellular data even with the DL using Cell switch is off.  I even went to App Info and App data usage and turned off background mobile data there too, and still while on strong 100mbps WiFi, I played about two hours of music today and noticed I burned 300mb mobile. Last month I burned over 2GB before I noticed. What the heck  going on all of a sudden? Clearly there is a flaw with the recent updates. Android 8 on Moto Z Force.

Same issue with the latest version of the app in Android 9. The app is suddenly downloading songs (essentially refreshing already downloaded data) even when the relevant setting is turned off and mobile data is used. Never seen this before. The other day it nearly downloaded 500mb on its own, depleting my monthly plan in an hour before I figured out what was going on and which app was eating up my data. I wasn't even listening to music at that time, I wasn't using the app at all. Hoping for a fix ASAP, this is an issue that is costing your customers money. 

Same here.  iPhone 8.   Cellular data is disabled in phone settings for Spotify, but it's using data.  I deleted the app and reinstalled, and it's still doing it.  Dec 1 2019

Just updated to the latest iOS.  It's still doing it.  Help please.

I am having this problem too. I updated iOS and I thought it had fixed it, but today I noticed mobile data still being used. I have all mobile data settings disabled in my iOS settings, yet I am still able to listen to songs on the Spotify app. This is serious as I pay a lot for my mobile data, and have lost quite a bit of money so far, because often I'm not aware that Spotify is using my mobile data. Is there a process for getting a refund please??

Same issue here, started turning phone to flight mode to stop the downloads

Here's a few tips that I've uncovered to solve the issue.

Firstly, find the app named NetGuard, install it and set it to block all cell data usage from Spotify. Just click on the angled Cell Signal Strength icon next to Spotify, so it turns red with a slash, and you're all set. I've found this app so valuable is finding scores of other 3rd party apps sneaking cell data that I paid for the full version to create logs of all apps.

Next, send an email to Spotify support at <snip - Moderator Edit>.  Tell them of the situation, and send them screenshots of the Cell usage, and the NetGuard logs.  After I did, I found within a few days they had it resolved.  I'm still tracking it, and blocking cell, but I haven't had an attempt for almost 2 weeks now, where before, it was only using cell, even when connected to Wifi.

Good luck. 

Thanks using it, now spotify actually says no internet connection.

Well, if it's not working while being restricted to Wifi, and your phone is connected to Wifi, then you need to double-check your settings.  If you can't figure it out, you need to contact support.  Ultimately, it appears it was set to run on Cell only. Check the settings.

Download over cellular was off as I believe is the default. It would still use my cellular data. I am now blocking cellular to spotify via a 3rd party app.

I have the same problem with an Iphone. The overall data is switched off and I can´t switch off data for Spotify individually, it is always green ("greyed out" green).

The app Netguard as suggested by Music Fan seems to be available only for Android. Does anybody know a similar program for Iphones?

Thank you

I am having the same issue.

Iphone XR

iOS 13.4

In Settings -> Cellular -> access is off

In the Spotify App access to cellular is off.

But the app still plays when I am not on WiFi. You can see in the image that cell is off but data has been used.

Any new ideas?

IMG_6269.PNG

Me too
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

Note that even if you've downloaded your songs the app can use data to update the cover cache, check for newer versions of a song and other general functions, that normally require internet connectivity. Keep in mind that the setting Download using cellular only affects downloads, not data used for streaming.

You can avoid this by setting your app in offline mode. You can learn how to do this here. We recommend using this setting instead of disabling cellular data through the iPhone setting menu, as it is the built in system that will definitely sever the connection to our servers. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hmm, a little late to the party Mihail.

There should be zero need to engage and disengage the offline mode, IF the Download Cellular is off, and works correctly.

Nobody is concerned about downloads or streaming while on Wifi.  The issue is with the Cell Data that is being used while away from Wifi.  If you have Cell Data switched off, and you are not connected to Wifi, the app should NOT be trying to connect to your servers to download anything, ever.

With every app update, it's been hit or miss on whether this issue pops up again, so I've defaulted to leaving NetGuard blocking the cell data, because frankly your app is unreliable in safeguarding this.

And BTW, it's interesting to see the various servers the app does try to reach out to.  Facebook, GoogleUser, Akami, Amazon, and scores of others beyond your servers.  Again, this is a rather serious issue which I don't believe is a priority to resolve.  I've got my cell blocker and my cell data is no longer disappearing.

Suggested posts