Premium

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 12.4

My Question or Issue

Since updating the app last week, Spotify has started to use my mobile data to stream songs and podcasts even when they’re downloaded. This occurs when I am not on a wifi network. Cellular data use for Spotify is disabled through the iPhone settings, and the “use cellular data for downloads” option is turned off in the app. However when I play music or podcasts that are downloaded, my cellular data gets used, even though it is turned off through the iPhone settings. Switching the settings to offline mode through the app fixes the problem, but it’s annoying to have to toggle offline mode whenever I want to download a song. Is anyone else having this issue?

51 Replies

Hello

I agree. No app should access cell day when I have it turned off in
settings.

I am disappointed. This glitch has cost me data and really, if it is this
unreliable, there are other choices for music streaming services.

Mr Archer is absolutely right. While I appreciate the extreme solution of activating offline mode, it does not solve the issue that Spotify is using cellulaire data even when the setting is set to Off in iOS cellulaire data panel. We need a solution that lets us stream on wifi and not on cellular. I’ve been a subscriber for years and this problem is recent. 

Hi there folks,

As @Mihail suggested, turning on Offline mode is currently the only way to disable the Mobile data usage of the app when Wi-Fi is not available.  If you'd like more information on how to reduce your Internet and data usage, we'd recommend checking this support article.

On another note, if the option to stream only on Wi-Fi networks is something you'd like to be implemented in the app, we'd suggest heading in our Ideas Exchange and posting it here.

Also, if you'd like more information on how the Ideas Exchange works, make sure to head here.

Hope you find this info useful.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Wait a second there Alex.  Do you really think it's appropriate to propose an Ideas Exchange submission to request the app work as it's intended, lol?

When you turn off Cell Data, that should be it. The end all.  Why don't you guys just fix the problem instead of continually dancing around the problem?

And, while we're at it, you guys might want to look into all of these 3rd party servers your app is reaching out to.  You guys are aware these kind of things can breach certain provisions in CPPA, right?  That's a big deal my friend.

Does this mean all we're getting is an obnoxious workaround rather than a long term solution? Since when did permanent software fixes become "Ideas Exchange"?

Having the app cost you money because it ate away your precious mobile data due to an obvious defect, is not a feature to be discussed in an "Ideas Exchange". It's a defect to be fixed as soon as possible.

Please try harder guys.

This is ridiculous and if that is what is required the Offline switch needs to be part of the main interface. Not buried in the settings menu.

Also, I just watched Spotify download a previously downloaded 500 mb playlist over cellular and I'm not connected to wifi. Download over cellular is off. I got a notice today that I have used all of my data for the month and after checking I see Spotify has blown through 3 gigs of data. I haven't even been using spotify this month because I have a SiriusXM trial with my new car. wth?

Hi,
quick reminder that this problem is still unsolved with the latest version.
This should not be treated as an"idea to be proposed" if one decides to switch off cell data for a specific app (whether it is iOS or Android) the app should not use cell data.
That's a massive design fail and rather annoying

This is not acceptable. When download over cellular is off the app should not be using data to update playlists when not connected to WiFi. I rarely use data to stream and only listen to downloaded playlists when driving or running. Yet, Spotify already burned through a huge chunk of my data this cycle. It is, I'm assuming since I get the download notification for several hundred songs at a time, updating playlists I had already downloaded. I don't, like many others, have unlimited data. I pay per gig on google fi. It's been by far, the cheapest cellular service I have ever used until this problem began.

Screenshot_20201201-133851.png

Screenshot_20201201-133252.png

@Alex, I don't think your answer is acceptable sorry.

Take some responsibility. You are basically saying that the app is not respecting the users Mobile Data settings. I think you will find this could be in breach of Apples App Store guidelines, and breaches could result in your app being removed from the App Store. I would take this more seriously if I was you.

“5.1.1 (iv) Access Apps must respect the user’s permission settings and not attempt to manipulate, trick, or force people to consent to unnecessary data access.“

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#legal

@yachtsox Fully agree. This is a severe bug from my point of view!
@Alex Sorry, but your answer doesn‘t feel appropriate given that this issue could unexpectedly drain people‘s data volume and is a clear breach of Apple‘s guidelines. Please prioritize this topic accordingly!

I'm a premium member and just used up my monthly data in one day while listening to the Joe Rogan podcast in my car -- I followed the instructions: downloaded the podcast prior to listening, toggled the "Offline" button off in Playback, and then closed the app after hitting play.  By the time I got home I had 10% data left for 29 days of my Verizon plan and had to spend $ to add data. So I'm paying Spotify $11 a month, along with 144 million other people, and they can't get this fixed?

Any news on a PERMANENT fix?

I had this issue again last week. I launched Spotify just before I left home and it automatically began downloading playlists over wifi. All well. Then before downloading finished, I left home and Spotify switched the downloading remainder to mobile data for no good reason and without me taking notice. There goes my monthly plan. Thanks a lot guys.

Keep in mind the added costs of your plan and the extra data you had to purchase. Spotify now costs significantly more than $11. Other services are looking much better.

Guys, clearly Spotify doesn't give a **bleep** as they obviously know there is an issue.

The ONLY surefire way to prevent these situations is to get an app Cell Data Blocker.  In an earlier post, I mentioned I tried NetGuard on Android and not only does it work perfectly, it identified another program with the same issue, albeit at a considerably lower data rate.  Now I have zero issues.  Sucks that Spotify allows this to happen, but it's a non-issue now for me.  Imho, waiting here for a solution is a total waste of time.

The app should default to playing downloaded songs at all times. It can 'update' downloaded songs to the latest version when on wifi. This is the simple solution to this problem.

Juntaka - When you switch off "Download using Cellular", that is exactly how it should work.  However if you haven't noticed, after well over a year, they still cannot fix the problem.  So if you have a "simple solution", by all means, spill it.  Stating the obvious offers ZERO.

The only 100% solution is using a 3rd party app to block Spotify from ever using Cell Data.  If you trust Spotify, there is a very high likelihood you will get burned.

I agree but according to the moderator the download over cellular switch only affects 'downloads' not streaming. So, even if I have a song downloaded onto my phone Spotify currently defaults to streaming the song if there is a 'more up-to-date version'. That is how I took his comment. My simple fix is for Spotify to always play the downloaded version of a song regardless of 'version'. The app can update the version when my phone connects to a wifi network.

Forget about the moderators, who clearly are not the developers.

The "Download using Cellular" switched OFF should be the end all.  If they cannot get that right, do you really think they are capable of adequately parsing this out for two independent fixes? Not a chance.

The fact is, with the switch OFF, it still downloads incredible amounts of data, and curiously, connects with all sorts of irrelevant servers like Facebook, and Amazon, so there's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes.  Obviously this is deliberate, and they aren't changing that.  

The only iron-clad solution is to go 3rd party.  I've been doing this for a few months, and there hasn't been a single hiccup. I also get full transcripts of what the Spotify app is trying to do, and what servers, so after viewing that, I'm very glad I was able to shut all that down.

If you really think you can encourage a solution here, take that one Mod's advice and submit a suggestion box stuffer.  And be prepared to wait forever.

I don't see NetGuard available for iOS, unfortunately.

doesn't work

try to do your **bleep**ing job and NOT wasting my money!!!!

fix quickly!!!

Suggested posts