Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

427 Replies

Totally unreasonable. The low rate of usage of this feature is probably due to the fact that only very few of the people actually know about this feature. For the once that do use it it's a vital part in discovering new music on Spotify, it makes browsing through the recommendations way easier and more efficient. This really bothers me and I hope the dev team will reconsider this decision as I think it doesn't improve the app in any way. 

Just keep digging deeper . Keep removing features until there’s none left to take away . That’ll reel them in . Surely .

376BCC91-728A-47A8-972F-319709198E01.gif

Inexcusable. I think it had a low engagement because literally no one even knew it was there. When I would tell my friends about this feature, 99% of the time they would be dumbfounded, delighted and immediately start using it all the time. This was the worst user experience decision I’ve ever seen. 

THIS FEATURE WAS SO GOOD i dont like having to individually go through every song to determine if its good id rather just get a preview and fron that determine how much i like it. I 10/10 recommend for it to be put back 

I wish you would bring back the long press preview. That was what I loved about using Spotify on iOS. It was great for music discovery. 

Yeah...it also saved me from accidental clicks...like...if I pressed a track I could hold it down and swipe off before it actually just played it. 

Devin Richter | @gossamer.blue

Completely the wrong move. I used this feature every day. Do not ever delete features. Only add them. It’s mind boggling that you’d do that, in fact!

Please bring it back....you monsters

What’s done is done.  The powers that be won’t listen to us.  It’s been 3 or 4 months and nothing has happened, no updates.  

Im so sad. I really loved that feature. Just because it had low engagement doesn’t mean you should get rid of it. Most people probably didn’t know about it. It really should be added back!

I used to be able to hold down on a song and it’d give me a preview of the song, this feature was very helpful as it let me know whether or not I found the song I was looking for since there are multiple versions of some songs. Please fix this Spotify!!! 

This actually makes me so mad. I have considered deleting the app because of this. Previewing songs was how I found every single song on all of my playlists.

The fact that no one uses that feature is totally ridiculous. I don't know one person who doesn't use it and i'm in high school with soo many kids who all use this app. 

The only reason i'm keeping this app is because i'm happy with my playlists now. What am I gonna do in a month when I get bored of the songs and want new ones because I am not making finding new sons a long process.

This needs to be fixed now.

I'm very sad to hear about this! I was wondering for months where the feature went missing. This one feature differentiated spotify from the rest of its competitors for me - when choosing the perfect music app. If I would've known this I would never have updated my Spotify version. This doesn't make spotify much different now that I look at it because you're forced to play every song and skim through just to actually preview it like you would on YouTube or any other music app. 

I really liked the preview of songs. Bring it back!

Spotify used to innovate with updates to their app. They haven’t offered a new major feature to their app in well over two years now. They still don’t have an Apple Watch app. They’re now taking features away instead of adding/improving. The app still has the same stupid bugs it’s had for a while. I just don’t get it. I used to rave about Spotify but recently I’ve just lost my enthusiasm. Do they want their customers to leave?

As I use Spotify to discover new music, this was one of my favorite features! I have a ton of friends who use apple music and this is one of the features I used to impress them! The reactions I got were always so amazed! I truly believe that this was a lack of awareness that the feature actually exists. I'd love to see it back, but until then I'll continue using your awesome service!

@Cyberkeeper01 said this on the idea thread:

“Umm... don’t vent your frustration here. They actually do not read comments. Go to the Facebook page and their messenger support page and spam the **bleep** out of them. I did it, and boy did that work. Finally at least someone answered. For every week they don’t answer, repost the exact same message. ALL OF YOU. Consider this a personal challenge. Also, please go to the landscape mode for iPhone page and vote up that feature! Force their hand guys... the only way to see action is to take action. Again, do not post here about it because they ignore it. They can’t ignore emails and support requests and such. They couldn’t possibly.”

Why would you do that guys!!!

Makes me very upset because I was using it all the time. But I remember I bumped into this feature by accident. I wasn’t told that it’s there. Maybe that’s why not many people knew about it. 

Maybe i I should consider canceling my subscription until the “new features” will be there. Because right now I’m well mad about it. 

Thanks to whoever thought it was a good idea. Shame on you! 

*drops the mic* 

Chalk me up as another upset customer. To remove touch preview is maddening. I was considering going premium but now there is no way I will give Spotify my money and I'm currently looking at taking my business elsewhere. 

Please add this feature back, for the love of God!

Suggested posts