Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

If you would like to see Touch Preview come back, you can add your vote to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900370

427 Replies

Well I can say that I have loved my Spotify account for the past 4 years and I did use this feature a ton. It saved me from having to listen to a whole song to figure out if I liked it or not. After this month is up I'll probably be switching to another streaming service. I came across this feature on accident and loved it. The problem that nobody used it wasn't the fault of the consumer it was the fault of Spotify. This was not a highly known feature because advertisement failed there. I know that I am only one and that doesn't make much of an impact but for the $10 a month I could go to another streaming service that offers most if not all popular artists.

I agree with what many others have already posted. The feature didn't have low usage because people didn't like it. It's because they were not aware of it. I too discovered it by mistake and it was instantly one of my favorite features of Spotify. I used it mostly for finding songs to add to playlists and for making sure it was the correct version of the song, and now since its removal, I have to wait and login to Spotify at home on a computer (I'm not a premium user), or go to another site like Youtube to listen. Horrible decision! First you take away messaging other users and now this...you get rid of the best features, and that's not improving user experience. Maybe market the good features of Spotify better so more users are aware of its existence, instead of getting rid of them all the time. Please bring back this feature, asap.

Totally **bleep** idea. Only one phone from iOS family supports this to date hence low uptake. Are you bonkers? Next month a new model of iPhone - same 3D Touch, more users = uptake higher. Jees. Get rid of a good idea why don't you. Now I ruin music to check if the song I've found is the correct one. Better off with Apple Music at this rate. Not worth subscribing if losing good features 

Absolutely devastating. The thing that gave spotify the edge on Apple devices that stopped us choosing Apple Music instead. Well if that's gone there's nothing that gives spotify anything more than what Apple Music has to offer. Gutted by this decision. Please rethink and add it back. I forsee a lot of people cancelling their accounts in the coming days 

I NEED IT. NEED. NEED. NEED! Please bring it back 🙂

Well that was a poor decision. I used this function all the time. Is there a way to uninstall the app update? 

Bring it back please. 

Poor decision. I used it a lot. One big feature that sets Spotify apart from its main rival: Apple Music. 

Hey Spotify, users here!

Your Statement please!

No good, i'm so Disappointed. The touch preview is the only thing make me prefer spotify to other competitor.

I think the same thing

HELLA MAD! that is your most-used feature! bring it back. it even made it harder to scroll through the spotify page because the songs move along with your finger now.

Seriously?  This feature was one of the main reasons I came back to spotify premium after trying apple music for about 6 months.   I used it almost everyday.  You said there was limited engagement, but I wonder how many people even know it existed.  I discovered it by accident.  If more people knew about it, they would love it too.  This feature is what set you apart from other music services.  Now without local apple watch playback, there's really nothing keeping me with Spotify.  

Please don't replace long press with another feature.  Put this back or I'm taking my money somewhere else.  

I considered the touch preview a major advantage, when using Spotify, and it was one of the only reasons I didn't switch to Apple Music. I'm really disappointed. It was an awesome feature. So simple, yet so helpful. I see no reason why it needed to be removed. "Low engagement rate" - can't roll my eyes any harder.

Such a terrible idea. I used this so often especially on Friday in the New Music section. Do they not understand how useful it is to be able to just hold and preview an entire section of music instead of go through and click each song INDIVIDUALLY to see if you like it or not.

So we STILL can't interact with our friends on mobile, and now they take this away too. I'll be a new Apple Music subscriber very soon..

Will not be renewing subscription then.

low engagement?  even if only ten customers were using it, you MUST regard everybody, ALL users, before making a decision like this. clearly, many people want the feature back.

Low engagement rate for iPhone users?  I find that preposterous!  It is a big mistake to remove the feature.  Please reconsider to bring it back.  It is such an excellent feature!!  Bring it back!!

Been a loyal paying user for more than 7 years, but not for much longer if you keep making Spotify worse for each update. Shame on you!

I used touch preview every day I used Spotify, it made scanning through songs to fin ones I liked easy and was a big reason I liked Spotify. 

If you are going to remove it for a different feature... Put the other feature in, or at least have an option in the settings to decide to have it on or off. 

You say you have a low engagement rate but from the looks of it a pretty big portion of people used Spotify only because of these feature and used it a lot. I would really like to see this added back otherwise I might look around for other services. 

Suggested posts