Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

While using Carplay, it will only load the first 10 playlists. No more. But other times it works...

While using Carplay, it will only load the first 10 playlists. No more. But other times it works...

Plan

Free/Premium

Device: iPhone X

Operating System

iOS 12.1.4 on a Mazda Connect. CX-5 2016

My Question or Issue

When using Apple Carplay and trying to scroll through my playlists I can only see about the first 10 playlists or so. Then it just won't scroll any further. Same with some other features. But sometimes I can scroll and see all of my playlists. So I know it's capable of working. What's the problem here? Is there some kind of work around??

23 Replies

Same happens to me. Sometimes it works but most of the times it doesn't, so i have to look down on a stop lying search for the phone and the chose the playlist i wanna hear. 

This is a big challenge if i am on the highway for a long drive and i can't just look down and unlock the phone. 

I have the same problem on my 2017 Mazda 3. Occasionally (1 time in 20), Spotify will display the full list. Additionally, it isn't just the playlist: it occurs for all lists on all tabs of the UI. I have the latest Mazda Connect firmware as of April 2019 and an iPhone 6 with iOS 12.2.

Hey @elowndes_biz and @user-removed,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Have you tried reinstalling the app? You can read here how to do it. Try to reinstall the app in the car as well and see if that makes any difference.

If that doesn't work, please let us know which Spotify version you are on.

Looking forward to your reply. Have a nice day!

Mine does this when I'm driving.  Stop at a stop sign and it shows all of them again.  Likely a safety thing, but can this be turned off?

It happens always. It doesn't matter the version of Spotify because I always use the last one.
Every once in a while I can see the full list. I discovered that if I unlock the device before connecting the usb cable then I can see the whole list but even this method isn't 100% working all the time. Thank you

That is the problem! If the vehicle is stopped, I see full lists and the touchscreen works. As soon as I start moving again, the touchscreen is inactive and the display changes to the short lists. 

Fix it already spotify. Come on get off your a** and fix the damn bug. It’s been going on for years. Put the phone into offline mode and all the playlists show up on the Apple car. Connect it online again and 80% of them disappear. It can’t be that hard to replicate and fix. What are you waiting for , a class action lawsuit because people were too busy looking at their phones to see why the damn Spotify app won’t show the playlists on the car screen after having been reported on atleast 10 different topics for so many years????

This is definitely the problem. As soon as you start moving, carplay will only load the first ten playlists, or the first ten songs within a playlist. If this is meant as a safety feature, then it is having the opposite effect. It is just forcing me to pick up my phone to select the playlists/song that I want.

Hey there @justinrando and @Rboy2,  

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this? Did you manage to try what @Guido suggested and what was the outcome? 

Let us know how it goes! We’ll be right here if you still need help.   

Yes it very much is, I've posted more screenshots and troubleshooting details here (as have other people also, so yeah this isn't limited to me only).

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Playlists-missing-from-CarPlay/m-p/5040400

Hey there @Rboy2,

Thanks for sharing your info with the Community!

We've passed on all of the relevant information to the right team and they'll look into it. 

Since this issue only occurs some times and it is involving other apps and devices, we cannot guarantee that it will be resolved in the future. We're always trying to improve the app's functionality and we've taken your feedback into account. So we recommend enabling automatic updates for your app, as this issue might be resolved in one of the next updates.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Problem is still here with IOS 14.4 latest Spotify app and Carplay last version in Subaru Outback 2020. Only first 10 elements of each list are usable. Can’t scroll further or choose the 11th element of a list even if I see them...

Hi there @Gobi,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

As previously mentioned in this thread, this might be related to some safety measures. Rest assured, we'll pass your feedback on to the right folks. In the meantime, we recommend keeping the app always updated.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

@CarlosE I don’t buy that because about 20% of the times it shows the entire list, about 80% of the times it will only show the first 10 odd songs. So it’s something with Spotify. I don’t see this problem with Audible or podcast apps. Only Spotify app. 

Hey @Rboy2,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We can confirm that this is indeed related to safety measures set by the car's system and how it's implemented with CarPlay, as stated on the CarPlay Guidelines for audio apps, and that's why it only happens to some users, as it might depend on the car. It reads ''...Certain cars may cause CarPlay to truncate lists of content when the vehicle is in motion or has exceeded a certain speed...''.

Rest assured, we'll make sure to pass your feedback on to the right folks here at Spotify.

We hope this sheds some light on the situation. If you need anything else, we're always a post away.

Take care!

CarlosEModerator

@CarlosE it doesn't. Infact there's nothing in the link you shared that explains this bug. The only reference to limitation is the following:

Limit your content hierarchy to three levels or fewer. The less navigation required to reach content, the better. Although the system permits a maximum depth of five levels, three levels or fewer is recommended. For example, Artists > Albums > Songs, or Playlists > Songs.

This bug isn't about number of levels, it's about the number of items displayed in a page. Also I reported in my last post that this problem happens about 80% of the times, i.e. 20% of the times it works just fine and it shows *ALL* the songs and playlists.

Surely you aren't trying to pull a fast one on the community just to defect the bug away from Spotify to Apple.

Hey again @Rboy2,

Thanks for your reply.

We're sorry for any misunderstanding. In the link I sent in my previous reply, you can find a section that reads: ''Intelligently filter content when the vehicle is moving. Certain cars may cause CarPlay to truncate lists of content when the vehicle is in motion or has exceeded a certain speed. Consider displaying a curated set of essential information and options when this mode becomes active.'', and that's the one I was referring to. That's why in some cars some lists of content from audio apps are truncated, and this depends on the car, rather than being an issue with the apps.

You could try using a different type of connection, like Bluetooth or a cable.

We'll be right here in case you need anything else.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

I have recently the same issue. Last week, it was working fine, I was able to drive and all the songs would load. However, this week, only the first 10 songs will load while I am driving, and then when the car comes to a complete stop, all the songs will load. Spotify, can you please change this back to how it worked before? I need all the songs to load while I am driving. It safer to display all the songs on Apple Carplay than having to pick up my phone and search for a song. At first I thought this was a Iphone IOS issue but I tried with an older IOS and the same thing occurs. And there were no recent updates made to Mazda 2018 Infotainment system. I think the Spotify update is definitely the problem since it was just working last week.

List of artists is incomplete as well. On my Spotify, my list of artist is complete since my list is so short. My husband’s list of artists stops at R. He has artists in his list like Zac Brown band but can’t scroll down no matter what we try. I have artists beyond R and no problem seeing them in my list because I only have 8 artists added. I don’t use it the same way he does.   
Seriously this should be fixed. I get the safety concern, but scrolling through dozens of artists A through R and cutting off there doesn’t make much sense.  As a passenger- I should be able to access all the music without having to mess with the phone.  Yes this is still an issue - paying customer. 

Suggested posts