Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Will Spotify Premium allow Spotify to work overseas?

Will Spotify Premium allow Spotify to work overseas?

I live in Australia and I have a free Spotify account which works fine. However when I went to Vietnam earlier this year my Spotify would not work. In a few weeks I will be heading off to France for two months and I really need Spotify with me. Does Premium allow Spotify to work overseas? I don't want to buy premium if I can't use it for two months.

34 Replies

Hey @Squishidinks! Welcome to the community!

Great question! -- You can use Spotify Free up to 14 days outside of your country and Spotify Premium as long as you'd like. You will have to go online every 30 days to confirm your subscription status though. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care!

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey, 

I'm from Malaysia and currently on Spotify Free. I've just moved to Vietnam and will be here for more than 6 months.

Will signing up for Spotify Premium enable me to use Spotify in Vietnam?

Hey @tannmarie!

Yes! You can use your Spotify Premium subscription in every country around the world, as long as you have a payment method from a country where Spotify is available. You can upgrade here: spotify.com/premium. If you have any questions, just give me a shout!

Keep rocking!

HuboSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi! 

Just to clarify, what if I already have a Premium account and will be going abroad for more than a year - for studies? I will still be able to continue using my Premium account without any disruption right?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi there @kaya_bun,

You'd need to periodically visit your original home address in order to the Family membership to remain active. As long as you go back home to your original address once in a while, everything should be fine. If you stay abroad for longer than a year you might need to switch to an individual Premium plan.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the prompt reply! I do have an individual Premium account actually, and not a Family plan. So this means I will be able to use my Spotify without any disruptions then. Would I need to change to a local plan if I were to stay longer than a year rather than being able to keep my home country's plan?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks!

Hi @kaya_bun,

Thanks for the quick reply!

If you have an Individual Premium account, you should have no trouble listening to music anywhere you go in the world, as long as your payment method is active. You won't need to change the country settings of your account or anything.

In case you move to another country permanently you can follow the advice in this support article on how to update your payment details.

Give us a shout if you have more questions. We're always happy to help with whatever we can!

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

Noted and thank you so much for your help!

Take care and stay safe!

Hi, I am an Indian studying in the UK. I have an Indian Spotify account and looking to upgrade to Spotify premium with the help of a Student discount. Can I upgrade my account to premium and continue using the same account in the UK without any issues?

Hi @Divyansh2,

Thank you for sharing your post on this thread.

In order to upgrade to the Student Discount, you need to change your account location first. Please check this article that explains how to change your country settings.

Then, you'll be able to sign up for the Student Discount. Keep in mind that your payment method needs to be issued in the UK as well.

Let us know if you have any questions.

MafeGModerator

Hi @MafeG,
Thank you for your reply to my query. 
I would like to share a piece of information that I have already paid for my student premium account before flying in. So how will that affect my account? Also from now onwards how would it work?

Hi @Divyansh2,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop. 

If you already registered your discount with a university from India, you can use it for the next 12 months. Once the 12 months are finished, you'll be able to register the discount again with a university from the UK. 

If your discount was registered with a university from the UK, then you can keep using your Premium subscription without having to do any change. 

If you still have any questions, please let us know with which university you registered the discount. This will help us to better assist you.

Cheers.

MafeGModerator

Hello! 
I am an American citizen and I moved to Colombia a few years ago. I have Colombian citizenship now, and Colombian bank cards.  I currently have a Free Spotify account that is based in the U.S.; I opened it a long time ago in the U.S. and I have lots of playlists and music saved on it.  My question is, can I use my current account and switch over to a Premium account that is based in Colombia since I live there now?  I would like to purchase the Colombian Annual Subscription for Spotify.  And if I do, when I go back to the U.S. to visit (sometimes I go back for long periods of time) will I have any trouble using my Colombian Spotify account in the U.S.? 

Hi there @ssgray3

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

No worries, you can use your account that has all your music and playlists, you just need to change your account's country settings following the steps here. Once you've done that, you'll be able to pay for 12 month of individual Premium here. Make sure to use a payment method issued in Colombia. 

On another note, with your Premium account you'll be able to listen to music wherever you're in the world, as long as your payment method is active.

If you have any questions, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

@Eni

"On another note, with your Premium account you'll be able to listen to music wherever you're in the world, as long as your payment method is active."

What if i used a gift card to get Spotify Premium, would i still be able to listen to music wherever you're in the world?

Hi there @vince604,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Yes, you'll be able to listen to Spotify no matter where you'll be in the world if you're using a gift card 🙂

We hope that this information was helpful.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

@Jeremy

Thanks. I originally created my account in Canada, but I have switched my country in settings to the US. Should i switch it back to my original country and redeem the gift card, or am I able to redeem it while under the US?

Hey @vince604,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

It's necessary that the payment method is issued in the same country as the one your Spotify account is set to. 

For example, if you got the gift card in Canada, you can redeem it once you're back in Canada. 

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator

Hello, is the subscription plan country-based? meaning if I paid a yearly plan, should it still work if I resided to another country? Thanks in advanced.

Suggested posts