Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS 8 Battery Drain?

iOS 8 Battery Drain?

Since upgrading to iOS 8, I have noticed that Spotify is using significantly more battery than before the update. I generally listen to music stored on my device during my commute to work (about 30 minutes) and before iOS 8, would arrive at work having used about 5% battery, now with iOS 8, it's more like 15-20% of the battery.  Spotify also comes up to the top of my Battery usage on the new page, despite my commute to work being the primary time I use Spotify.

Anyone else noticing any issue with battery drain using Spotify with iOS 8?

18 Replies

Hello,

You're not the only one, it looks like the app is having the same weird bug that it had a few years ago.

I have also notice that my iphone is getting Hot as hell while using spotify.

Me too... since upgraded to iOS8 battery life has been bad in general (maybe 4hrs of life).  

Spotify is at the top of the battery usage list.

I also use spotify a lot via bluetooth connection to play music on other devices.

Note:  I download all my content to my phone (iPhone 5)... so don't belive its related to Spotify wifi or cellular usage.

Also, trying out other general iOS8 fixes (e.g. handoff off, location services, etc).

Thanks,

Scott

I'm still having this on my iPhone 6 running 8.1.1 and Spotify app version 2.0.0.1643

Same here.... I need to stop Spotify from the APP and then kill it if I don't want it to have it draining my battery (plus heating my iPhone)

Iphone 6 here.

Spotify is eating up my battery at a ridiculous rate, even when I'm not using it. I disabled background refresh for it as well, and am still seeing significant battery drain. 

This is a joke. I am going to cancel my subscription, the battery drain on my iPhone 6 is a joke.

Having the same problem on my Iphone 6 plus

Peter

Using Spotify on Thinkpad Yoga, Iphone 6Plus, Ipad Mini 2, Playstation 3 & 4

I am a new spotify user and have noticed that my battery life is significantly reduced since installing Spotify on my iphone 5 running ios 8. I m considering trying rdio unless Spotify resolves the issue

Here's my response from "premium@spotify.com":

Thanks for getting in touch with the Spotify team. I'll be happy to help you figure this out.

Sorry to hear this is happening to you. However, there's not much we can do. Please get in touch with Apple so they can help out with this.

I assume line one was part of the template, because line two wasn't very helpful at all.

iPhone 5, iOS8.1.

I use Spotify for 30 minutes (playing songs offline) and it uses 20% of the battery.

Even after I stop using Spotify, kill the app and make sure the Background App Refresh is disabled, the battery continues to be drained to the point that after 3 hours after having used Spotify it is 50% lower and the phone is warm. Power off, power on, load to 100% again and the problem stops.

I will avoid using Spotify until the problem is solved.  

Same here !! When are you gonna do something guys !!!

And what's the reaction of the spotify team for this? I have iPhone 5s, premium account and in offline mode my phone doesn't last 4 hours...
And spotify does? They block possibility of writing a review in the App Store for all the iPhone users...

I did small test today.

Using Spotify:

Location services - off

3G/LTE - off

WiFi - off

Battery usage per hour 20%

Using music iPhone app made by Apple

Location services - on

LTE - on

WiFi - off

Battery usage per hour 1%

I'm asking when will you fix this? I just canceled my premuim account....

Also i have a lot of battery usage if i use spotify

Peter

Using Spotify on Thinkpad Yoga, Iphone 6Plus, Ipad Mini 2, Playstation 3 & 4

It feels like this is a regression, it didn't use to be this bad. I have to kill spotify to have any battery left at the end of the day.

4 days until Apple Music migration. Bye bye crappy Spotify iPhone app, bye bye crappy Spotify support team who does not take time to answer customers requests.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad/Spotify-crashes-or-gets-killed-when-syncing-of...

I installed Spotify over the weekend on my ipad mini.  Immediately noticed 2 issues:

1.  Drained the battery really quickly

2.  Won't play if I lock the screen or close the cover (to try and save battery).

Pandora and soma.fm on the ipad will run for hours w/o significant battery usage.

Not very encouraging to see this 1+ year old thread.

I have noticed this too! When I'm using spotify on WiFi my phone will instantly drop from around 40-60% battery life to 1%, without even warning me it's under 20%. It won't let me turn it back on because it says its dead but when I get home to charge it and turns back on it always says its somewhere between 40-60%. I love listening to spotify on my runs or walks but might have to go back to Pandora for this very reason.

Has anyone else experienced it THIS bad? Some of you mentioned that it just started recently with this version.. I just recently got spotify, did it not do this with the other versions?

Suggested posts