Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS App Freezing, crashing and lagging

iOS App Freezing, crashing and lagging

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 7

Operating System

iOS 12.1

My Question or Issue

The past couple of months (4-5) I have been experiencing issues with the mobile app. It is constantly crashing, lagging and freezing. For example, I will press a song and it will not play it, and then will finally start playing 30 seconds later or so, and during that time the app will stay frozen. 

Also, it will often continue playing a song after I change it or pause it, and once it finally catches up and un-freezes, the app will crash. I just deleted and re-downloaded the app recently and it did not solve this problem.

13 Replies

I’ve also been having this issue but it’s only started recently. The freezing/crashing started with the last update it seems. I hope they’re working on a fix for this issue. I’ve been a member since 2012 and have an iPhone 6s

Hey @mitchellpageee & @amhaygard and welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you add your details here in this thread?

Thanks 🙂

For me it seems to be related to connecting and disconnecting my bose qc35 headphones. When I reconnect, Spotify is unresponsive. 

I am finding this issue when any of the following occur:

1. Add or remove headphones
  2. Connect or disconnect from car Bluetooth
  3. Change audio output device between speaker and Bluetooth, after initial connection is made

On each of these, the Spotify app will freeze and become unresponsive.

I have the latest Spotify app 8.4.91.903 running on 12.1.2.

Mine will just glitch out with no reason at all (I'll just go in in the mornings and it'll crash immediately or play without sound, shuffle when it isn't on shuffle, etc.) Is there any way to fix this? I like using Spotify but not when it doesn't work half the time...

Hey there @saraestalote,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

It's a good idea to restart the device and then to log out and log back in again. If that doesn't do the trick, you can give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing any issues.

If you have any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Still same issues having with iOS 14.4.1 and the latest Spotify app. I have to restart the app every time after connecting my AirPods. 

Hey @Maholine,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

It's a good idea to give the steps mentioned in the thread a go. In case nothing changes, we'd suggest you also try re-connecting your Airpods to the phone.

Does the issue occur when you try listening to music without the Airpods? We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

My Spotify just started lagging today, app won’t respond until seconds later and it will stop playing songs and close the app on it’s own. I already re started my phone and updated to the last version what else can I do?

Hi @Camila111,

Thanks for the post!

You can try to do a clean reinstall of the app, following this guide. This involves deleting all app data and cache.

If that doesn't help, let us know if the app is lagging both on WiFi and mobile data.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I'm having major issues with this app on wifi and through mobile data on various devices. The app takes forever to load regardless of how many times I try or uninstall and reinstall/ restart my device. Then it takes a very long time to actually play the music. I won't be paying for a subscription any longer if this continues. I have no more patience for this nonsense. No other apps are disfunctioning to this degree. Brand new phone, super fast wifi.

Hi @mcguirebecca,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

It's odd that this is happening across multiple devices. Can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists?

Alternatively, you can create a free account here to do the test. Just make sure to log out of your own account before creating a new one. 

This will help us understand if this is generated from your account. 

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator

Suggested posts