Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Bug: Audio cuts out when placed on wireless charger

Solved!

[iOS] Bug: Audio cuts out when placed on wireless charger

This bug has happened on iOS 14.5, then 14.6, and now the 15.0 beta on an iPhone 12 Pro.

When listening to music through either bluetooth or just the speaker on my iPhone and placing the phone on a wireless charger (brand doesn't matter, I've tried Anker, Samsung, and some no-name) the audio cuts out for about a half a second before being restored. It does this when the phone should be making the charging "ding" and shows the little charge bolt animation over the battery at the top right. Once you remove the phone from the wireless charger the audio cuts out again as the charging icon changes back to the battery. This is reproducible 100% of the time for me and doesn't happen when plugged into a cable to charge.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I was able to find the cause. I did the reinstall then went preference by preference. The audio cutout happened immediately when I activated the "enable voice" function. I think that's causing the cut out. 

View solution in original post

D4660A61-D104-4F28-B5B9-EF8F496C5582.png
31 Replies

I’m experiencing the exact same issue. iPhone 12 Pro, any wireless charger connection or disconnection stops the music for a split second. Doesn’t matter whether it’s paired to Bluetooth or playing out of the phone speakers. I’ve found that deleting and reinstalling Spotify will fix the issue for anywhere from a few hours to a few days, but it comes back every time and it is extremely frustrating as I am a heavy wireless charger user!

Hi @Kubra1286 and @spelchekr,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind letting us know if this is only happening with Spotify or with other streaming apps as well?

Also, could you let us know if this happens with a wired charger too or only with the wireless one?

We'll be waiting for your reply 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

It only happens with Spotify (tested with Spotify, Apple Music, Pocket Casts, and Overcast while audio was playing from each) and only with wireless charging. Wired charging works normally with no hiccups in the sound.

Hey @Kubra1286,

Thanks for the info 🙂

Could you give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall? This one is more thorough than the usual one.

In case nothing changes, could you share with us the following? We'll look into this further.

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Video recording of how the audio stops.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I did the steps above and it’s fixed the issue for now. I’ll continue testing this and report if /when the issue re-occurs. Thanks

Hey there @Kubra1286,

Thanks for the post and for letting us know what worked for you 🙂

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I also did the steps above and the problem went away for a while, but in the last two days it's started doing it again.

Hi there @spelchekr,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear that the issue has come back.

Try clearing the app data for Spotify. 

1. Open the Settings app. 
  2. Select "General" and tap "iPhone Storage."
  3. Select Spotify and tap on "Offload App".

Let us know if that fixes it.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

I am now also on the iOS 15 beta (19A5307g) and still experiencing the issue.

I offloaded the app a couple of times, and tried reinstalling from the same settings page, tapping on the app icon on the homescreen, and from the App Store. No change. I uninstalled the entire app from the iPhone Storage menu and reinstalled, and that fixed it for now.

It barely fixed the issue for a day. I've taken a screen recording and I'm going to do a clean reinstall again, that seemed to fix the issue for the longest.

I'm attaching a screen recording of the issue. I'm on an iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.0 (19A5307g), and Spotify 8.6.52.1200.

Hey @spelchekr,

Thanks for your update on this and for the screen recording.

Could you let us know if this also happens using a different phone?

It's also a good idea to exclude the app from any Battery optimization software that might be active on your smartphone.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I haven't experienced the issue on any other phones, it only started happening after switching to an iPhone 12 Pro but it's been consistent on this device for me. And since I'm on iOS, I don't have app-specific battery optimization, so that's not a likely culprit.

I just had the issue turn back up, 12 days after a clean reinstall of the whole app following the instructions previously linked in this thread. Currently on iOS 15.0 Public Beta (19A5325f), Spotify 8.6.56.1456, but again it's been consistent since I got this device on iOS 14 point something. I'm clean reinstalling now, see y'all in two ish weeks!

Also having the same issue on my iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro.

Pls fix Spotify thx

Issue just came back after 44 days since the last clean reinstall. I’m getting real tired of having to re-download my entire library monthly… iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.0 (19A344), Spotify 8.6.68.1328.

My friend just got a base model iPhone 12 and is experiencing the issue as well.

The skipping was back not two hours after clean reinstalling. Did the whole process again and it seems to have worked, let's see how long it takes to return now...

I have had the same problem of audio cutting out when placed on the wireless charger after upgrading to my iPhone 13 Pro.

Simply uninstalling and reinstalling the iPhone app solved the problem (no need for the advanced clearing the cache and other steps.)

Note to Spotify: My apps auto-upgrade. It should never be necessary to do a clean install of the app to solve problems like this.

Hopefully this stays fixed, and doesn't revert to the old problem like others have said on this thread.

Same problem! iPhone 11 Pro. Please fix!

Issue is back after about a month and a half.

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Could you please share with us the following info if you haven't already, so we can investigate this further:

• Device + OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Video recording of the issue
  • When exactly this occurred?
  • The troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far 

Keep us posted. 

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts