Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS app too touch sensitive

iOS app too touch sensitive

Plan

Premium

Country

Switzerland

Device

iPhone XS

Operating System

iOS 12.1

My Question or Issue

The latest version of Spotify on iOS is way too touch sensitive. It happens often during scrolling through that a song or artist is selected accidentally when I was actually trying stop scrolling. 

I don‘t rember which update exactly changed the sensitivity but it must have been one of the last 2 updates. 

21 Replies

I've noticed this problem too. I wouldn't say it happens all the time for me, but it is noticeable. I wonder if others are having the same issue? For now I'm just being more concious of my scrolling. That's the only way I've found to avoid the issue.

The app is not sensitive. It is your phone, mine is working perfectly fine.

The app is not sensitive. It is your phone, mine is working perfectly fine. This happens when you have an old phone and haven't updated it.

well, I wouldn‘t be too sure about that. facing the same issue with an iphone xs running the latest version of iOS and Spotify.

Same problem with iPhone6. It became too sensitive with one of the summer ‘18 updates I guess. And it is really frustrating, I even think about canceling my premium membership just for this. Because I can’t really look for songs to add to que while listening a song.

Dude, no need to be so rude

There is definitely an issue with one of the latest updates. Easy to reproduceo on my iPhone 6S:

1. Start scrolling in a song list, initiating a scroll and letting the list continue scrolling after releasing the finger (just like you normally do with a long list)

2. Without waiting for the list to stop scrolling, initiate another similar scroll gesture, either in the same direction or the opposite.

Actual result: the song on which you initiated the second scroll gesture starts playing.

Expected result: no new song should be played.

This was working perfectly fine until a few weeks ago; performing the same scrolling actions on any other iOS-native list works fine.

This really ruins the app usage as unwanted songs start very often, killing your currently playing song.

This also rejoins a feature that I still do not understand why Spotify has not implemented: the ability to turn on a "lock" mode that would ask for a confirmation every time the app detects that the user starts a new song. This would prevent unwanted song interruptions (accidentally pressing he song instead of queuing it or accessing the more button), somehting very annoying when playing songs in a party for example.

Lol. Happens to me all the time. I thought it was just a side effect of the way that I scroll down through song lists. In a way it's good to hear that others are having the same problem!

Actually here is a simpler scenario:

1. Initiate a quick scroll action (one that leaves the finger down only for a short time) that leaves the list scrolling when you release it.

Actual result: the song on which you initiated the scroll gesture starts playing.

Expected result: no new song should be played.

This is definitely due to the fact that the actual press operation is very short and probably Spotify wrongly identifies it a a click.

There's deffinitely a problem with one of the latest updates. 

I have an iPhone 6 and this problem has been really frusturating to me. 

Hi,

For this specific issue it is a Spotify related but there is a copromise to fixing it, it seems like your device has very high sensivity, to change this go to:

1. General Settings in your iphone
  2. Then click 3D touch

3. After that a screen should pop up with a slider bar 

4.  Adjust it to either Medium or Firm.

If that doesnt help please let me know 🙂

Best of Luck to you,

Jack

Thank you for your suggestion. The 3D Touch settings have nothing to do with this. Changing the sensitivity or simply disabling 3D Touch does not change anything.

I have noticed that it does not happen when scrolling the contents of a playlist, while it happens when in a search results list or in an artist most popular songs (main artist page).

Same here! It’s been bothering really annoying to where I don’t even bother with the app... PLEASE FIX!

I know exactly what OP is talking about. I end up switching songs so frequently when scrolling because of this nonsense. It's annoying after a while!

Have also encountered this issue since updating. Was never a problem in the 10+ years I’ve been using Spotify, so definitely a problem with the latest version. 

I have also noticed this. The way it should work is that, when you tap the screen while inertial scrolling is occurring, the scrolling stops and the item under your finger is not activated. Taps should only activate the selection after scrolling has stopped.

I’ve been having the same issue for a couple of months now. It also doesn’t happen for me when I’m scrolling through playlists. It happens on artist pages and also in my library. I just tested again to see for sure, so I scrolled along a few pages by flicking my finger and tapping the screen to stop the scrolling events. So on any artist’s page, it doesn’t happen if my finger lands on the Shuffle Play button, it doesn’t happen if my finger lands on any of the playlists on the artist’s page, and it doesn’t happens if my finger lands on the See Discography button. On any “Popular Song” or album, it will happen. This doesn’t seem to be happening when I scroll through the contents of any individual playlists though. It also does happen when I go to my library and scroll through all of the songs in my library

Happened to me too at the same very moment that I removed the Apple Music app. As soon as I redownloaded the Apple music app, Spotify began functioning as normal again. Just a coinsidence?? Maybe 

I have also had this problem for a couple of months now on my iPhone 7, even after restoring it. It is pretty annoying, because it kills your current playlist.

Suggested posts