Country

UK

Device

iPad

Operating System

iOS 12.5.5

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

During the last few weeks Spotify on iOS has become unuseable.  The App starts off ok but within a short space of time the commands (text click or swipe) become extremely sluggish eg I swipe a eg playlist and maybe 5-10 seconds later the playlist scrolls up or down.  Same when I click on any of the text commands eg playlist title etc.

Have tried clearing cache and reloading App etc.

My Android and Windows Apps do not exhibit this issue on their relevant devices.

I think the app started glitching when the Lyrics update was rolled out - any connection to this being reported elseswere - the first thing I noticed when using Lyrics was that they jerked there way up the screen.  Since then things have gone downhill.

Any clues/ideas appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @LekkerPotjie,

Thanks for your post.

Devices running iOS 12 are currently not supported. The minimum system requirements for mobile devices are to be running iOS 13 and above. More info here. We can't guarantee that the app would work as expected on older devices.

Hope this info clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions. 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Hey there @SpokeyDokey,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community!

We haven't been receiving reports about this, so we'd like to investigate a bit more and offer some other troubleshooting steps first.

Does the issue occur both on Wifi and mobile data? Could you try downloading a playlist or an album to check if the app is still slow in offline mode?

It'd also be really helpful if you can send us a short screen recording that shows the app's behavior.

Keep us posted on this.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

Hi Elena

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

The iPad that I have is not an Air model so no mobile data to test - sorry.

I have downloaded a playlist and this also stutters when trying to scroll up and down the tracks.  There is a one to two second lag between flicking the screen, which builds up to around 5 seconds or more the more you try, and the screen responding.  NB: the new lyrics 'feed' also jerks as it is revealing itself and takes an age to fully open on any given track.

I guess that rules out the Wifi being a potential problem.  Nonetheless both of my Spotify installs on phone (Android) and Laptop (Windows) work perfectly over Wifi.  The Broadband is fibre direct to my house with 1Gb at the router.  There are no issues with outher Apps on the iPAD nor any issues with any other Apps on my phone or laptop.

Interestingly, when I scroll up and down a QUEUE it does NOT exhibit this behaviour.  Just on PLAYLISTS.

No new Apps installed on the iPAD for well over a couple of years.  Nothing has been changed in any settings etc.

Hope that this helps.

Nick

Hi again @SpokeyDokey,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you confirm that your iPad has enough free space? Keep in mind that you need to have at least 1 GB left to ensure a stable performance of the Spotify app. You can also try disabling the Background App Refresh in your iPad's settings to see if that'll make a difference.

It'd be great if you can use your iPad to log in to someone else's account (a friend's or a family member's) so you can check if the same issue is present there.

Lastly, check if you can update the iOS version past 12.5.5. Feel free to mention the model of your iPad as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Take care!

ElenaModerator

Same issue. iPad Air 1 version 12.5.5

Hi @JoeDavy,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. 

Could you please confirm to us the information requested by @Elena? This way we can get more insights about the issue and your setup.

Also, it's worth running a clean reinstall of the app, this way you can start from scratch and free up your iPad of any unnecessary cache and old files. 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Hi

Further to your request for an update.

In the end I gave up with my iPad and consigned it to lesser duties in the
house.

Apparently its OS cannot be upgraded.

This is the final nail in the coffin (we have had similar issues with
iPhones) and we are now Apple-less.

Samsung Tab 7 purchased and Spotify runs beautifully on it.

IPAD mine is the same, slow scrolling, play list loading. I'm a spinning instructor and I cant do my job as a result!!!!!! £10 per month???? Why????

I have the same problem on Ipad. I need it for my gym classes and can't do my job properly. Why do they keep introducing things like Lyrics? They just made it worse. I cant use it and am going to move unless spotify act quickly!

It did seem to start about the same time as lyrics were introduced - which
I think are great BTW.

But... it seems that Apple are the problem as I just cannot update my old iPad anymore.

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab and all is well on Android.

Ya-boo to Apple.

Hey folks,

Thank you for you reports.

Could you let us know the following info:

• Model and OS version of your iPad
  • Spotify version
  • Amount of free space on the device

We'll be looking forward to your replies.

AlexModerator

I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue. Can't tell you the number of times I've almost smashed the iPad against the wall.

On iOS 12 as well, I have deleted cache, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, reset my iPad, but to no avail. Is there no way Spotify can have a "Lite" version of the app or something? Or at least sort out the iOS issue? It's frustrating to pay for a premium subscription that works only on certain devices. 

I went and purchased a cheap Samsung Tab 7 and use it only as a controller
for my music system. All working perfectly now.

No more Apple products in this house.

No blame on Spotify from me.
Marked as solution

Hey @LekkerPotjie,

Thanks for your post.

Devices running iOS 12 are currently not supported. The minimum system requirements for mobile devices are to be running iOS 13 and above. More info here. We can't guarantee that the app would work as expected on older devices.

Hope this info clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions. 

AlexModerator

Had exactly the same issue for last four months. Please fix ASAP.

Why SPOTIFY are so slow on iPad with iOS 12? I can run 3D games on it no problem and music app can't work smooth? This is ridiculous.

Its not about Apple/iOS, its about Spotify software developers who can't optimize relatively simple app on powerful device (iPad).

I have the exact same issue on my iPad. It is really annoying and we're all still waiting for a fix, so please Spotify developers do something about this...

Same issues here, Spotify on my iPad air 1 are laggy

Suggested posts