Premium

Country

Germany

Device

iPad Pro 11 (2020)

Operating System

IpadOS 14.4.2

My Question or Issue

If you start the app normally (in full screen), play a song and then try to start the App in Slide-Over Mode the whole App crashes. Tried reinstalling, clearing caches and rebooting the device.

13 Replies

Hi there @timtom243,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

Just to confirm, did you follow these steps when you reinstalled the app? 

If so, can you try the following to see if the issue persists:

• If your device has some sort of low power mode or app, try disabling or whitelisting Spotify
  • Enable Background App Refresh from your phone's Settings > Spotify
  • Try with another internet connection

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks a lot for your help!

You‘re right I tried your guide to reinstall the app.
As far as I know there is nothing like a power saving mode on IPad, background refreshing is enabled and I got this problem with multiple different Networks.

Greetings,
timtom243

Hey there @timtom243

Thanks for getting back in touch about this.

Could you check if the OS of your device has any pending updates?

Also, would you mind letting us know if this is only happening on your iPad or on other devices as well?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hey Eni,

The app itself (8.6.20) and IPadOS (14.4.2) are up to date.
The problem only occurs on the iPad for me, App on iPhone and Linux are working fine, but I don‘t have any other opportunities to test it on another iPad.

Thanks for your help!

Hi @timtom243

Thanks for getting back to us. 

If possible, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in to their personal account using your iPad to see if they can replicate this?

Let us know how it goes so we can continue investigating this. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey Novy,

Thanks for your reply. I‘m trying to find someone in the time, but I don‘t have a lot People around me with an iPad. The new update to iPadOS 14.5 didn‘t fix the problem for me.
I will report it here if I get a chance to try the app with another iPad!

Hey @timtom243,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

No worries if you don't have another iPad to try at the moment - if you get to try with one, let us know how it goes. In the meantime, we'd like you to try logging in to a different account, like a friend's or relative's, on your iPad to see if the issue persists. This would help us check if this is account-related.

We'd also like to know if this didn't happen before and if it started after a specific event, such as an app or OS update.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I have the exact same issue.

Plan: Premium

iPad Pro 11 (2021)

iPadOS Version: 14.6

Spotify Version: 8.6.40.1248

I previously experienced issues which seemed to indicate some sort of poor optimisation for switching between full screen and slide-over mode, such as when swiping right on a song wouldn’t add it to the queue if app was open in slide-over mode. This specific issue seems to have been fixed recently, but I’m experiencing crashes nearly every time I have the app open in full screen mode, then try to open it in slide-over.

I have noticed this issue happening over the past month. While the issue is pretty annoying, I’m thankful the app launches again in under a second.

Hi @skillz21,

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Would you mind sending us a screen recording of the issue happening so we can take a closer look? Make sure not to send any private info. 

On another note, could you try again using a different internet connection to check if that makes the difference?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I’m finding the issue hard to repeat. It happens almost randomly. Earlier today I noticed it happening when I had the Spotify App open for a while, playing music in the background, then opening it in slide-over.

The erratic nature of this issue means I probably won’t be able to capture it in a screen recording. 

Using a different internet connection regularly in an attempt to repeat this issue is not currently possible for me, sorry.

Hey @skillz21,

Thanks for keeping us on the loop. 

Since using a different internet connection is not an option, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

If you get to make a screen recording of the issue that would be very helpful for us. 

Keep us posted!

CarlosEModerator

So I managed to find a way to reliably crash the app, I have a screen recording attached below.

1. I have my Bluetooth headphones connected and music playing with app in full-screen

2. Go to Home Screen, turn off Bluetooth headphones

3. Open app in slide-over and app crashes

Hi there @skillz21,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

In this case we suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Let us know how it works after that 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts