Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPod Shuffle Local files??

Solved!

iPod Shuffle Local files??

How can I sync my Spotify playlists to my iPod Shuffle? I have tried and the mac app says I can only sync local files to my ipod shuffle. Does this mean I can only put songs I own on my ipod shuffle?? I have a couple spotify playlists of music I don't own that I would like to put on it.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You are correct in your post, it is only possible to sync local files that you own to an iPod shuffle/nano/classic and not any tracks from the Spotify online catalogue.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

You are correct in your post, it is only possible to sync local files that you own to an iPod shuffle/nano/classic and not any tracks from the Spotify online catalogue.

Peter

Peter

Hi there,

Seems there is a big market for using spotify on a smaller device (size of a iPod Shuffle for example).  Know if this is on the roadmap?

I don't work for Spotify so I know as many details as you, but its unlikely since it would need to be a device capable of running the Spotify application. A Spotify brand "mp3 player" kind of device which you are suggesting has also been suggested before here so you might want to add your kudos and comments to that topic.

Peter

Peter

Spotify's instructions are bafflingly complex on this point. It says repeatedly that using spotify to sync your files with your ipod is one of the features. And then it says something that sounds like you can sync streaming songs locally to use on the ipod. But then when you try it, that doesn't work. You can't sync the online playlist songs locally. So you can't play them on the ipod.

So, why not just say that straight out. You can't use your ipod to play from the streaming catalog.

@maaadcow wrote:

Spotify's instructions are bafflingly complex on this point. It says repeatedly that using spotify to sync your files with your ipod is one of the features. And then it says something that sounds like you can sync streaming songs locally to use on the ipod. But then when you try it, that doesn't work. You can't sync the online playlist songs locally. So you can't play them on the ipod.

So, why not just say that straight out. You can't use your ipod to play from the streaming catalog.

Can you link to where you feel it is misleading?

Peter

Peter

I found that message here: https://www.spotify.com/us/blog/archives/2011/05/04/spotify-says-hello-to-the-ipod/

Apparently this was a big news flash a few years ago, and they even had a model where you could buy premium tracks and put them on your iPod (for 50p per song).

Is this whole featureset gone?

@thegranderson wrote:

I found that message here: https://www.spotify.com/us/blog/archives/2011/05/04/spotify-says-hello-to-the-ipod/

Apparently this was a big news flash a few years ago, and they even had a model where you could buy premium tracks and put them on your iPod (for 50p per song).

Is this whole featureset gone?

The downloads store from which you could buy mp3 downloads in bulk at 50p per download has been removed from Spotify in all countries. Details are outlined in this help page

Peter

Peter

I think spotify is misleading. It state that I can take my music anywhere by syncing my playlist to my ipod, but that;s not the case. when I try that program all that is synced is the local file that I have on my computer. I cant get any of the songs in my playlist. I might as well just get the free version of spotify instead of paying for  spotify premium.

I could argue that "my music" is not the same as "spotify's music" but I won't 🙂 Basically, you're right that, if you don't have an ipod touch or another mobile device capable of running a spotify app, then you don't need premium unless you still want to be able to stream at 320KB/s.

A compromise might be to opt for unlimited which is cheaper and doesn't give you those horrid adds and doesn't restrict you to 2.5 hours a week.

Suggested posts