Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

offline sync for iPhone

Solved!

offline sync for iPhone

I have songs on my iPhone playlist that are greyed out.  When I click on them, I get a note telling me to put on Offline Sync and be on the same wifi as my computer.  

I have looked all over the Spotify computer app and my iPhone app and cannot find anywhere an offline sync button.

I have been all over help and cannot find this topic.  

Can anyone please help me get my songs on my iPhone?  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just follow this instructions (exactly) for you to be able to sync local files from your desktop to your iPhone.

Note: This feature is for Premium users only.
  1. Using the desktop app, add local music files you want to sync to a playlist.
  2. Log into Spotify on your iPhone using the same WiFi network as your desktop.
  3. Tap the menu button (User-added image).
  4. Tap Your Music.
    User-added image
  5. Tap Playlists.
    Playlists button
  6. Tap Local Files, or the playlist containing local files from your computer.
  7. Select the playlist containing the local music files and press the Available Offline switch at the top.
    User-added image
  8. A green arrow will appear next to the tracks when syncing is complete.
    Offline sync green icon
AJ Carter

View solution in original post

10 Replies

The songs show up grayed out when you do not have a network connection so the app is in offline mode. You have to make sure the songs are downloaded offline to listen to them when you do not have an internet connection. The offline switch is in the right corner of your song library or playlist. You just hit this switch and it will make your songs offline for the specific playlist or your whole library. The songs should no longer show up grayed out. I hope this helps. Not sure if this answers your question?

AJ Carter

No this is something else.  It tells me when I try to play the song on my iPhone that if I own it I can sync it from my computer.  Then it tells me to mark my playlist either on my iPhone or on the computer for Offline Sync.  I have looked high and low for something called Offline Sync and can't find it.  It says I have to be on the same network on both devices.  I am.  But I can't get the two apps to sync.  So I can't listen to music that I own.

It's driving me nuts.

Thanks.

That is very strange. I have never heard of that before. I had no idea that you can sync your 3rd party music with the Spotify app on iOS. I thought that was just a Mac/Windows feature. I am sorry I can not help you with this because I have no idea what offline sync is. I wish you good luck!
AJ Carter

I will try to see if I can do some digging about this issue. I will let you know if I find anything out about this!

AJ Carter

Thanks so much. It would seem like they should have a help topic on it since they tell you to do it.

Kerry

That's what Local Files are on your Windows computer. It is where they put all the music that Spotify finds on your computer. That includes iTunes and your personal CD's and any other music you ask Spotify to import. Then one can add this to the playlists. Spotify requires that I come into my computer at least once every 30 days so it can verify everything.

Somehow these greyed out songs didn't get verified. So that's what I'm trying to do now through this sync process.

What a hassle.

Kerry
Marked as solution

Just follow this instructions (exactly) for you to be able to sync local files from your desktop to your iPhone.

Note: This feature is for Premium users only.
  1. Using the desktop app, add local music files you want to sync to a playlist.
  2. Log into Spotify on your iPhone using the same WiFi network as your desktop.
  3. Tap the menu button (User-added image).
  4. Tap Your Music.
    User-added image
  5. Tap Playlists.
    Playlists button
  6. Tap Local Files, or the playlist containing local files from your computer.
  7. Select the playlist containing the local music files and press the Available Offline switch at the top.
    User-added image
  8. A green arrow will appear next to the tracks when syncing is complete.
    Offline sync green icon
AJ Carter

I think I might have figured it out. You have to make sure that the playlist on your phone is downloaded offline that contains any local files from your computer. Once you make the playlist with the local files ( the one grayed out ), you will see them become available to listen. 

AJ Carter

This is where it tells me to mark the playlist either on my iPhone or computer for OFFLINE SYNC. I have spent probably hours looking for Offline Sync and can't find it.

I sit in front of my computer with my iPhone with both devices on the same wifi and Spotify open on both devices. Nothing happens. I can click on the greyed out song on the iPhone and it will play on the computer. But it won't ever be non-grey on the iPhone.

This is really weird.

Kerry

I don't see an available offline button on the iPhone app or the computer app.

Kerry

Suggested posts