Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads in Unlimited (after years without ads)

Solved!

Ads in Unlimited (after years without ads)

Hi, For quite a long time I have an unlimited account, without ads. But since a few days I get ads, both visual in the player and in audio.

I followed the tips I found on this forum, such as log out and in again. I even fully uninstalled the application and installed a newly downloaded app. But the the ads are still there. Anybody help?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Normally when this happens you most recent payment has failed and your account has reverted to Spotify free.

What is your subscription status on your online overview

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@karikari - If that is on the discover page, you should be able to hide it by going to Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Music Annoucements > Hide on Discover page.

If its somewhere else, can you let us know where abouts? 

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

@Mark_hogg - Are you using Unlimited or Premium? On an iPhone, unlimited is identical to free. If you want the full experience on mobile that requires a Premium subscription.

For some more information, there is a table comparing subscription plans here:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Newcomers-and-Contribution/Subscription-Comparison-Chart/td-p/666916

Also, if you wish to upgrade to Premium, just follow the steps here:
https://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/Unlimited-to-Premium

Peter

68 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Normally when this happens you most recent payment has failed and your account has reverted to Spotify free.

What is your subscription status on your online overview

Peter

Peter

Cheers! Indeed my credit card has been renewed... 🙂

I get (some) ads even if I pay to not have ads. I have an Unlimited acocunt, and it is active (i.e., no problems with visa-cards or anything), but still you put a big ad of some crappy artist (Miley Cyrus) (in the field above "recommended artists", which I understand is based on what i listen to, i.e., NOT Miley Cyrus).

I don't accept this (the ad above the recommended, I don't mind the recommended artists). If I pay for an ad-free  product, you should not put any ads beyond those that are based on what I am already listening to.

Marked as solution

@karikari - If that is on the discover page, you should be able to hide it by going to Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Music Annoucements > Hide on Discover page.

If its somewhere else, can you let us know where abouts? 

Peter

Peter

Hi, I've been using Spotify since September. I pay for an unlimited subscription, but suddently tonight it randomly played ads in the middle of listening to an artist. It was playing Spotify sessions. I checked my credit card, and it doesn't expire until 2016 (and my next bill date isn't for a few weeks anyway), so the payment is good. Is this just a glitch or does it have to do with the Spotify sessions?

Hey @adorkable1987 - your Premium subscription is running okay so you shouldn't be hearing any ads at all, and we don't play them in the middle of songs even so.

If you play that same Spotify Sessions album now, is it still acting weirdly? If so, mind posting a link?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

It hasn't happened again, and I don't remember who it was (I've been browsing a lot over the past few hours--keeping me going through an all nighter for grad school!). If it happens again, I'll be sure to post a link. Thanks for your quick response!

I have been using Spotify unlimited for some time.  I pay for it because I want to avoid the ads.  All of a sudden I get ads every few songs?  What am I paying for if I now have to listen to commercials?

Hi @judiscariot!

Your subscription may have expired and you may no longer be paying for Unlimited or Premium. Can you confirm your account status on your account overview page

Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

Do you listen your Unlimited on mobile or tablet? Then you get ads because Unlimited is advertised as no ads in pc.

I've been using Unlimited for a few years now and have never had ads, even on my iPad.  Earlier this week it starts playing ads. What gives Spotify?

Hi @hierospace,

Unlimited is only meant for ad-free experience on the PC.
Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

Until earlier this month, you could only listen to spotify on ipad with a premium subscription - is that what you meant?

You could listen to radio.

Ive now started getting ads too. ive been an unlimited subscriber for about 3 years. Was delighted to see i could stream through my ipad (my desktop is borked) and its been playing great all week. Yes today ive had a load of ads every other sogn, or even two after one song.

Whats going on? My payment goes through fine, it is fine, and not due for another 2 weeks.

Unlimited on a tablet comes with ads. Only the desktop is ad-free. Upgrade to Premium and banish ads for good.

Blimming facebook!

Thanks for getting in contact.

Just had a look at your account and it appears you have a duplicate (second) account connected to your email.

It seems when you connected to Facebook, our system created a new account instead of connecting the two.

Good news is I can delete the duplicate account, all I need is the following information:

Phew, I was going utter bonkers!

Hi, oh god really?

You are correct. It seems i am paying for the same service the free users get. So i. Downgrading my account now. Thanks for your reply.

Suggested posts