Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Can you listen to songs in album order anymore?

Can you listen to songs in album order anymore?

I have premium and the first problem is an issue on both desktop and Android and the second problem is more related to Android but I'd imagine it would affect desktop as well but I don't download on that version.

Since the June update it seems there's no way to only listen to the tracks you like from an album in the order they appear on the album without having to like the whole album and manually skipping through the songs you don't like. 

Is there something that I'm missing that allows me to do it similarly to the old way?

Also I've noticed that my downloads has ballooned on Spotify because all the albums that I previously downloaded on the tracks I actually saved now has downloaded all the tracks from the album even if I don't have them as saved. This sounds like a different issue but because of how you changed everything with the update, with one thing getting fixed it would fix the other as well.

5 Replies

Hey @OutsidaII.

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

Since we rolled out the new Your Library experience, the way that music is saved has changed a bit. We suggest you check out this Spotify Answer to find out more.

To answer your question, you'll no longer be able to save albums partially. You can either save entire albums, which will appear under Albums, or you can add the individual songs from the album - these will be added to your Liked Songs playlist.

Hope that clears things up! Let us know if you have any further questions 😉

I have read through it multiple times but you didn't actually answer my main question. How do you play songs in order on an album if you don't want to hear every track on the album? It used to be that since you could see only saved tracks in albums you could play just those songs. With the new Liked Songs way there is no way to play them this way unless you save the entire album and manually skip through the songs you don't like.

Also, as I stated since you changed how it works all the album I had previously downloaded only partially are now fully downloaded on my phone which I feel is pretty bad business practice since you're forcing me to take up more space on my phone.

Your generic answer is a bit insulting. I was very specific about what I was asking for. 

I guess this just answers whether or not I need to find a new streaming service since Spotify doesn't seem to care that paying users aren't happy with the new layout.

Thanks for nothing.

Hey @OutsidaII.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Since you can only save entire albums, unfortunately there is no way to listen to albums partially. You can get around this problem either by adding the songs you want to hear from the album to your Queue, or you can create a playlist with just the songs that you want to listen to.

We regularly run updates such as this one to improve your experience with the app. The refreshed Your Library was developed to help you manage and access your favorites faster. It’s the first version of this update and we’ll continue to build on it based on your feedback.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns 🙂

Translation:

Hey @Outsidall.

Thanks for paying us for a subpar service.

Since we designed a massive UI overhaul and didn't have anyone test it or give us feedback on it (which is standard practice), you'll just have to suck it up and listen to music the way we tell you to! 🙂

Don't worry though, the albums with specific songs you saved for years? You can now create playlists to make up for it. It shouldn't take longer than several weeks :). Or you can add them to the queue manually song by song as you scroll through albums of 20+ songs you don't want to listen to.

We care about our customers as you can tell by this smiley face :). Let us know if you want to submit feedback on reverting changes in UI nobody complained about for years.

@Peter

Thanks for answering my question. I wish there was an actual solution to the problem.  It's like @AvoX said it's really a poor workaround to suggest making playlists of partial albums, so I could then scroll through 100+ playlists that consist of between 3 and 8 songs. You "fixed" something that wasn't broken and actually made it more complicated. 

It's really frustrating that you all claimed that this update was at the behest of many user comments, but all over the net all I can see is lot of comments saying how terrible of a redesign this is. The particular problem I brought up is just one of many that have with this new update including how slow the UI is on mobile now. 

Why not actually listen to the people that pay for the service and make decisions from there?

Suggested posts