Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot Apply Gift Cards

Cannot Apply Gift Cards

I have a premium account but when I try to apply Gift Card I get the following message.

"Unfortunately you can't apply this Premium code on your account. This is likely because you have an existing Premium subscription that cannot be combined with a Premium code." 

How can apply these cards to my account?

37 Replies

Thanks to this forum I was also able to have this resolved in the same way.

Support downgraded the account and then applied the voucher, after that I upgraded back to the family plan again. The $72 credit is now being used on the family plan.

Hopefully this billing process will be streamlined in the future.

Thanks all!

I am glad to hear they can fix it.  Now I just need them to get to mine.  I submitted a ticket a week ago, but have not heard anything (I white listed spotify so it is not going to spam).  My case number is #02292325.  I would like to get this resolved soon.

Thanks

@jspot122 

I have forwarded your post to the support team at Spotify. Hopefully someone will be in contact soon.

Thanks for your patience!

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @jspot122 ! It looks like our support team has responded to you now. Please have a look. We hope things will be fixed for you soon. 

No, no one has contacted me yet.  The only emails I have received have been from the community and this thread.  I have whitelisted spotify and I just checked my spam folder just in case, but nothing yet.

@jspot122 

Sorry about that! I've asked James to look into this again.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey @jspot122 

Hmm.. that's strange. Not to worry, I've asked our Support team to get back in touch with you. You should hear from them soon. 

So someone bought me Spotify gift cards thinking "Oh it is just money, it should work with the family plan" but lo and behold it doesn't.  It should be noted it says nowhere on the card itself OR on Spotify's own gift card website where you purchase them.  It only tells you buried deep within their support site, which by the time you see that, it is too late.  I don't know if this was planned or Spotify just botched yet another rollout of something (lol at Your Music still not supporting beyond 10k tracks).

Can you do that process yourself of cancelling, waiting till it runs out, applying the gift cards and then upping to the family plan instead of dealing with customer support?  Anyone know?  I really, really don't feel like fighthing with support to allow for this.

Edit - nevermind

I too ran into this issue since I received a gift card from some relatives. I have been raving to everyone how much I loved spotify since switching from Pandora premium. I had just upgraded to the Family plan a week ago to add my daughter for a Christmas gift, I did participate in the deal that added her free for the first three months. I don't understand how that makes a difference. 

I emailed support yesterday and got the response that I was out of luck. Copying and pasting their response and then mine too. 

Hi ####,
Thank you for getting in touch with us. Managing your account shouldn't break you a sweat. No worries, we'll get this all figured out for you. 
We’re afraid you can’t use a Spotify gift card to sign up for an offer. Your gift card is always worth the amount of time shown on it, and can’t be used with other deals.
Also, per our terms and conditions, you can’t use a Gift Card to sign up for a Premium trial, introductory offer or any other subscription that comes with a discounted rate. Again, sorry for any frustration.
Let us know if you have any other questions. 
We'd be sure to give you a hand. 
Have a great day!
Joshua

We’re afraid you can’t use a Spotify gift card to sign up for an offer. Your gift card is always worth the amount of time shown on it, and can’t be used with other deals.

I am beside myself right now. This gift card is nothing more than 30 US dollars that was spent to purchase a gift card worth 30 dollars of Spotify credit. There is nothing special about it, no way of beating the system to obtain extra value out of it. I would simply like to use it to pay for my account instead of my credit card that is on file, until it runs out and then resume with the credit card. Are you saying I have to wait three months until I start paying 14.99? 30 dollars is 30 dollars. 

Also, per our terms and conditions, you can’t use a Gift Card to sign up for a Premium trial, introductory offer or any other subscription that comes with a discounted rate. Again, sorry for any frustration.
This should be displayed on the gift card too. Simply for the fact that the people buying gift cards for others with Spotify accounts, have no idea what the terms and conditions are, for obvious reasons. Once again, 30 dollars is 30 dollars. 
Thank you for getting in touch with us. Managing your account shouldn't break you a sweat. No worries, we'll get this all figured out for you. 
You have certainly caused me to break a sweat. 30 dollars from a credit card, 30 dollars from a debit card, 30 dollars from a gift card, etc are all worth 30 dollars.  Here is an example of what you have explained to me and how I and others would see it. 
Someone uses 100 US dollars to buy me a gift card for 100 US dollars my local grocery store, I shop there anyway, right? I go grocery shopping, buy some normal priced items, some sale items, even have some coupons. When I go to check out, my bill is 175 dollars. I can't use my gift card because some items are on sale. Cash was paid for the gift card, but now that gift card is not as useful as it was before because there are stipulations, like items are on sale. Now why would someone buy that gift card again? Word would get around, people would stop buying that gift card and just give someone cash instead. Now that money is flexible and not guaranteed to be spent on that grocery store, someone might just be near a different grocery store one day, because there isn't only one grocery store in existence. 
Fix this now. 

I too am having this same issue now... and have recieved the exact same copy and paste responses you all have recieved fstarting over 2 years ago.  They have known about this issue and havnt even updated their cut and paste responses to deal with the actual issue.  This is bait and switch and I would imagine grounds for a class action lawsuit.  The first reply I got from suport suggested I give the cards to a friend to use?????  WHAT???? are you kiding me....  Not only are you not gonna honor your giftcard, but your gonna use me to try to farm for new customers.  There are plenty of competitors who honor the exact value on their giftcards.  How is Spotify still in business.  

I too am having this same issue now... and have recieved the exact same copy and paste responses you all have recieved fstarting over 2 years ago. They have known about this issue and havnt even updated their cut and paste responses to deal with the actual issue. This is bait and switch and I would imagine grounds for a class action lawsuit. The first reply I got from suport suggested I give the cards to a friend to use????? WHAT???? are you kiding me.... Not only are you not gonna honor your giftcard, but your gonna use me to try to farm for new customers. There are plenty of competitors who honor the exact value on their giftcards. How is Spotify still in business.

I'm having the same issue with my gift cards I received for Christmas.  No where in the terms on the card does it say anything about excluding group plans.  The support people however keep sending a link to the Spotify gift card terms that differ from the terms on the back of the card.  Bait and switch indeed.  I just canceled my account, this company obviously doesn't care about their customer base.  In a sea of similar services, I'll just look elsewhere.

October 12, 2016

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Can't apply a simple gift card. Lame. End of story. This shouldn't even be an issue.

I'm having the same issue; received a gift card for Mother's Day. I don't understand how they can refuse to honor a gift card they sold. This makes no sense to me.

This is the only "fix" found

Here are the steps we had to follow.

1) Downgrade your account to Free

2) Apply the Giftcard information. 

3) After the redemption codes had been applied, I then logged in to my account and upgraded it to Premium service. This of course required that I set up my account billing all over again.

4) After I successfully re-upgraded to Premium I was then able to re-apply for the Family plan thereby re-linking my account with my wife's account.

This issue still exists and it's absurd...

This happened to me and I don't even have a Family account. I have Premium with Hulu, which I didn't realize was a special thing. The terms of the gift card are definitely not clear that this won't work. I agree with others, a "gift card" should not be this restrictive.

Suggested posts