Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Dupe/Ghost account issues (facebook login vs email login)

Solved!

Dupe/Ghost account issues (facebook login vs email login)

When I started using spotify two years ago, I used to log in with Facebook, until around 3 months ago, when my credit card expired and then I started using TiDaL HiFi. Now I decided to go back to Spotify after trying tidal and I found this interesting issue that seems related to my account being duped or ghosted by another account (still mine) having the same email address as my facebook one, but not linked together with the facebook account.

Here's the symptoms:

-- Logging in via Spotify Client MaxOSX or Windows) --

When I log in on the Spotify application with the "Log in with Facebook" button (without using user/password), I get "Spotify desktop client communication failed." on the browser and eventually the Spotify application reports the "404 error".

If I use the facebook email and password on the Spotify client login windown, I can log in, see playlists etc, but the top notification bar says "Error 404" and I can't listen to music or anything. The username is shown as "118399578".

-- Logging in via Web Portal --

If I log in on the web portal https://www.spotify.com/ie/login/ using the "LOG IN WITH FACEBOOK" button, I get: "It looks like you already have a Spotify account with the email bitclash@gmail.com. Please login below"

If I log in on the web portal using the facebook email and password, I get "Forbidden character in username: @"

If I log in on the web portal using "bitclash" (no email) and password, I can get in, but that's not the account with all my playlists etc...

I really want to go back Premium on my original Facebook originated account that has a lot of playlists and starred items, including a precious collection of lullabies for my daughter - How can I do so? Looks like I can only log into the ghost email based account now...

Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I have forwarded your post to the support team at Spotify. Hopefully someone will be in contact soon.

Thanks for your patience. I have no idea how to help with this problem, but hopefully someone from support can look into this.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

I suggest you contact support so they can take a look at your account and see what is going on. They can help with account problems.

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi Matt, thanks for suggesting this.

I already opened a case (Spotify Case # 02280686) 12 days ago and haven't got an answer yet. So I thought this is either a serious problem or a very trivial one. To try to exclude the latter I decide to post here on the community.

Cheers

One thing I should point out is that my facebook login is myusername@domain.org and my account based login is myusername - can this be the source of the account mess up?
Marked as solution

I have forwarded your post to the support team at Spotify. Hopefully someone will be in contact soon.

Thanks for your patience. I have no idea how to help with this problem, but hopefully someone from support can look into this.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi Matt, that's brilliant, I just got a reply from the support team and they identified the problem and already have a plan for fixing it.
Thanks!

You're welcome!

Glad to hear it! Hope everything works out. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

I am having the exact same issue as above, however I can't even login to post on this forum using my Spotify/FB account - I am instead using an old account which I set up when I was living in Italy to post here.

The issue is completely absurd - when I try to login using the Facebook sign in process, I get a 404 error on the apps (iOS and desktop), whereas on the site itself I receive the following message: 

It looks like you already have a Spotify account with the email my.name@gmail.com. Please login below

Please could someone from tech support email me to assist - I have a Premium account and have been locked out for two days now. My Premium account has the same email as the one I am currently using to post, except it is @gmail.com rather than @googlemail.com.

I think the problem may be linked to the fact that I signed up to Spotify originally a few years ago using my @gmail.com account, then signed up again with FB (which is linked to the same email address) for a different account.

Hey @dominicL

Sorry to hear about this. Have you contacted support so far? If so, do you have a case number handy?

I'll chase this up for you.

Suggested posts