Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to change e-mail address if I lost access to it?

Solved!

How to change e-mail address if I lost access to it?

Hi, I just recently cancelled my premium account in order to try and fix this issue.

Many years ago I created this Spotify account through the Facebook login tool, which caused my account to be created with the e-mail that used to be associated with my Facebook account. The thing is, back then I used my old university e-mail on Facebook, but have since changed it and use my personal e-mail. I tried changing the e-mail back then, but I didn't find out how to do it, and since I didn't use to use Spotify a lot those days, I must have given up.

Fast foward to these past few years, and I started using it a lot more, always logging in through Facebook because at this point I have even forgotten about the e-mail issue. A few weeks ago I tried logging in into the app on my work computer, and realized I couldn't login without being logged into Facebook as well (which I'm not allowed to do on my work pc). I tried creating an username and password to use to login, but Spotify sends the password creation link to that old e-mail, which I have lost access many years ago now. Learning this, I decide to then try to close this account and create a new one, and that's why I cancelled my subscription. But I have tried every possible way to close it, and it always requires a confirmation e-mail to go to that old e-mail address, even though many website and Spotify community posts have posted ways of doing this without this step, this never works for me.

Lately I have noticed that the e-mail address field on the Edit Profile page is no longer gray and inaccessible, suggesting that it is possible to change it, but no matter what e-mail I input, I receive an error ("We're sorry, that email is taken."), even though those e-mails are not associated to any Spotify account.

For now it doesn't seem that my old e-mail has been assigned to a new student, but in the future this could mean that student could access my account and lock me out of it.

So please, how can I either change my e-mail address or close this account for good? I have attached a screen capture of the Spotify account link on Facebook with creation date as proof.

spotify-fb.PNG
spotify-email-error.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @anacsg ,

Thanks for letting me know.

Please try using this contact form link while you're logged out of any Spotify account: https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-anonymous/.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hey @anacsg ,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

In this case, you should reach out to Spotify's Support Team so that they can look into this for you: https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/.

Hope this helps 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Thank you for your response, but I have tried that as well. When I send a message through that form, it says that they will get back to me through the e-mail address that I no longer have access to, which is not helpful at all. 😕

Marked as solution

Hey @anacsg ,

Thanks for letting me know.

Please try using this contact form link while you're logged out of any Spotify account: https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-anonymous/.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Hey, thanks again for the help, they finally solved my issue!

I will detail everything here in case someone with the same problems stumbles upon this thread in the future:

I tried doing what you suggested and they got back to me on an e-mail account I could actually use (on the form it says to use the e-mail registered to your account, but I ignored this). They asked me to yet again send the form while being logged in to the account, as proof that it really was my account (which is fair but I got a little annoyed as I had already sent countless forms before about this issue). lol

Anyway, I tried doing as they said, but when I went to the Contact Us form again, for the first time instead of being redirected to the form, the website actually redirected me to the bot chat, and eventually I managed to speak to a Spotify agent in real time, and they readily solved my issue once I provided proof in the form of a premium payment receipt.

So that was it, I'm really happy I didn't have to close the account and lose my playlists!

Suggested posts