Issue connecting to Sonos Speakers from one particular Spotify account

Solved!

Issue connecting to Sonos Speakers from one particular Spotify account

Plan

Premium Family

Country

UK

Device

iPhone 11 Pro Max, MacBook Pro 2020, Dell Laptop, Sonos (circa 12 speakers over 2 locations, home and office, plus tested on a friend’s system).

Operating System

iOS 14, Mac OS, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Fundamentally I cannot play music from my main Spotify account on any of the Sonos Speakers. 

This started when I decided to "log out all sessions", since I had left my user logged in at a friend’s house one evening. 

Once I did this, I then re-logged in via the iOS application. I could no longer connect to the Sonos system (connection feels like it is timing out since it shows "Connecting..." but never connects). I then deleted my account from the Sonos system, it still refused to connect to the system, as such could still not play via the Spotify app to Sonos. I then re-authorised the account with the Sonos system. Tried to play via the Sonos app. The app said "Unable to play track xxx - xxx". Same issues from Spotify of being unable to connect to the Sonos system. I log out from my Spotify account on the iPhone, test another family account on the iPhone - Connects to the Sonos system with no issues, plays fine without flaw. I try connecting to the Sonos system with my Spotify account on the MacBook Pro, same as the iPhone, won't connect. With another family account, fine, no problem.

This pushes me to thinking there is an issue with the individual Spotify account itself since the Sonos system seems fine with everyone else's Spotify account, additionally all the devices I am attempting to connect from work fine with other Spotify user accounts. There are also other Spotify family accounts on the Sonos system, these work fine in the same way the Audible and Amazon music accounts work without problems.

For the sake of saying “yes I have done that”; I deleted all the accounts. from Sonos. Turned off every single speaker in the house. Turned off the broadband router. Turned off all WIFI points in the house (complete black out on communications front - left the system offline for 10 minutes).

I came back and turned things on slowly, I then logged into one of the Spotify accounts (another family member), tested everything worked fine (both via the Sonos app and the iOS app). Again, I try with my account, the same issues of “Connecting…” and never connecting, or via the Sonos app saying “Unable to play track xxx – xxx”. Again the other Spotify accounts work fine on the Sonos again once re-authorised.

So, as I said, I feel there is something wrong with my Spotify account, it is a relatively old account since I have been a member for some years, is there an issue maybe? If so, who do I speak to at Spotify?

The one thing I don't want is to have my Spotify account reset, there is years of history and an "Artist" account linked - Spotify "know my music taste" quite well after all those years - It would be painful to start again!

Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey again @ped,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. Sorry to hear that it didn't do the trick.

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

If that doesn't do the trick we suggest that you create a new account. You can transfer you library from your current account to the new one by following these steps. We also suggest that you have a look at this article.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hey there @

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're sorry to hear that you experience this.

Can you try removing Sonos from your Spotify settings here? You mention that you did that on the Sonos app,so it can be good to remove Sonos from Spotify's end as well and then remove it from Sonos, and restart the devices and then reconnect everything.

Let us know how everything goes so we can keep on assist you if you need us to. We're here to help.

Cheers 🙂

JeremyModerator

Hi Jeremy,

This was one thing I had not done, however it did not resolve the issue.
Please tell me you have another idea, this is driving me crazy 😉
Thanks.

Paul
Marked as solution

Hey again @ped,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation. Sorry to hear that it didn't do the trick.

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

If that doesn't do the trick we suggest that you create a new account. You can transfer you library from your current account to the new one by following these steps. We also suggest that you have a look at this article.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator

Suggested posts