Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My display name and photo keeps resetting.

My display name and photo keeps resetting.

My Issue:

My display name keeps changing back to my original display name daily, and my photo (at the same time) will reset entirely.

18 Replies

Hi there @darkgreencone,

thanks for reaching out to the community !

Could you please let me know if you account is registered through Facebook or Email ?

In the meanwhile, i do recommend using the "Sign Out Everywhere" option on your account overview page here to shake things up.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

My account was created through email. I'll try "sign out everywhere" and see how it goes. Thanks!

It's still happening, and now it's happening multiple times a day. I'm still not sure what is causing this.

Hi there @darkgreencone,

Thanks for letting us know that. 

In this case, we'd suggest that you run a clean reinstall of the app to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.  

On another note, if your account was created with the user "coolc*********", that's the username of the account and it can't be changed. However, a display name can be added so it's shown instead of the username. In this case, other people will be able to find your account with the display name "darkg********".

You can take a look at this article to get more info about this. 

Also, we don't recommend sharing usernames in the Community so we suggest that you edit your post and mask the username/display name like we did. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

i edited my post. and sorry for the confusion, i mean that my display name is constantly resetting back to the original display name, and that my profile picture is resetting to a blank image. and i attempted to uninstall and clear cache files and whatnot and it is still resetting both my display name and my profile picture to its original state (from "darkg********" back to "coolc*********".)

Hi there @darkgreencone,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you try connecting to a different network or logging in with your account on the device of a friend/family member to try to alter the display name and profile picture from there?

There might be an issue with the way cache is stored on your device or some network restrictions on your router that hinder the update.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Im highjacking this thread because I have a similar problem.
I just signed out everywhere, did a clean install of the desktop app, signed in with my email. Profile name was displaying correctly. Closed the desktop app, reopened, I was still signed in, now my profile name reverted back to the Spotify designated username and the app opened with an error page with something along the lines of *we can't find what your are looking for, this page is missing*

Hi @anonymunchy,

Thanks for reaching out.

This sounds like an issue caused by the cache files on your computer. Can you try running another clean reinstall of the app on your PC, following the steps described here. After that check your host files for any entries containing Spotify and delete those. Have a look at this Solution for a detailed guide.

Let us know how things look after that.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I've tried what you said. However, the issue is not with changing/setting the profile picture/display name, it's with it resetting randomly. It did it just a minute ago and I'm trying another reinstall of the app.

I've followed all the steps above, looked at appdata and localappdata, also checked the hosts file, rebooted computer, reinstalled Spotify (this time through the microsoft store instead of downloading directly from spotify site) First log in is fine, closing and reopening with "remember me" turned on, the profile name reverts. I'm now going to reset my router.

Resetting my router seems to have solved it for me.

So, in the end, resetting my router seems to have fixed the issue.

(accidental double post)

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

@anonymunchy, we're glad to know it was sorted out 🙂

@darkgreencone, could you also try resetting your router to see if that does the trick for you too?

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

thanks for baring with me on this, i can’t seem to figure this out. I’ve had to reset my router multiple times in the past few days, so that solution is out of the door. it seems as though anony and i had mostly separate issues. i’m glad his was sorted out. this is just a minor nuisance and i appreciate everyone’s help.

Hey @darkgreencone,

Thanks for trying and getting back in touch.

If possible, try using a different account, like a friend's or relative's, to see if this issue persists.

If it doesn't, it most likely is account-related. You can try creating a new account and transferring your music over.

However, even though in the app the display name changes back to the original username, rest assured that other users will see your current display name and not the original username on your Spotify profile.

We'll be right here in case you have any questions.

CarlosEModerator

thank you for the recommendations, i'll try tomorrow.

I'm not sure what fixed it, but it seemed to have stopped happening 2 weeks ago. thanks for the help i suppose lol

Hey @darkgreencone

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We're glad to hear that everything's now working as it should. 

We'll be right here if anything else comes up. 

Have a good one 🙂

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts