Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Need to change display name

Need to change display name

I'm on Spotify premium, and have been for a long time. I just switched to a Family plan.

Doing this, I noticed that my display name is just a long number – 113xxxxxxx. I haven't found a way to change this.

16 Replies

EDIT: It's now possible to add and change your display name! For more details make sure to check out this article. 

Hi, currently it's not possible to change your username and display name. 

The only thing you can do, is link your Spotify profile to your Facebook account, so your display name will change to your Facebook name. Here's an article on how to do it. Or you can create a new profile and choose new display name. 

You can also add your vote on this idea. 

I keep seeing these responses to change display name suggesting to simply create a new account and migrate data.  This has never worked.  The "What should we call you" field is simply ignored.  

I don't think I'm missing anything.

When I made my Spotify account, they asked me 'what should we call you?'. What I wrote there is now my display name. However, recently I created a Spotify account for my mom, and the chosen display name never showed up. 

So there might be an issue on their end with displaying correct names. 

Thank you for confirming that I wasn't being gaslighted by all those posts.

Very disappointing.

I do not want to connect Facebook, as I don't have an account there anymore. In fact, it may have been me disabling Facebook integration that gave me this name.

Creating a new profile would mean losing all my playlists etc, right? I am also unsure if "profile" is the same as "account": I have a family account, so removing my current account would affect other people. In any case, this is not a hassle that I as a user want to have to go through to fix a name that I never chose.

@shallbetter  There's also a thread regarding usernames not displaying correctly: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Created-a-username-but-got-numbers-and-letters/idc-p...

But I'm not sure if it's the same issue, since your username changed with changing subscription. Ours just never showed up. Either way, feel free to check it out. 

I changed my Facebook username, but my Spotify username is not matching up even when I log out and log back in. Do I maybe need to give it time?

Hello @analisacorral

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

It's now possible to change your display name, so you can enter your preferred name manually. You can do that via your mobile or tablet.

More details can be found in this support article

If your Facebook details are not displayed correctly, make sure the option to process your data is on. 

I hope you'll find this helpful! 

It's worth pointing out that this isn't a solution for people without the mobile app.

Why can't your display name be changed on a desktop PC?

Hello @Khelrauko

Currently it's not possible to change your display name on desktop, but the changes made on mobile will be reflected everywhere in the app. 

I'd recommend submitting an idea for this in the Idea Exchange. 

For more details on how to do it, make sure to check out this Spotify Answer

Have a great day!

I can't make changes on the mobile app as well. I don't even have "edit profile" button. I have "find friends" instead, even though my Facebook is disconnected. 

Hello @mnemonic00

I'd recommend performing clean reinstall of your Spotify app. It's different than regular reinstallation.
Just find your device in this article and follow the steps provided there.

It should help the display name. 

Let me know how it goes!

This doesn't work. I am already connected with Facebook but I still don't have a display name. Also, there is no option called "Social" in Settings menu.

Hey @kheriashakti,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

If you'd like for Spotify to take up your name from Facebook as a display name, first make sure that they are properly connected. This page explains how to link your two profiles. Note that this step is only necessary if you haven't created your Spotify account through Facebook.

After the connection is established, it's a good idea to make sure that the option to process your Facebook data is enabled. You can learn how to do this here.  Keep in mind that it can take up to 48 hours for you display name to get updated.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mihail,

The crux of the problem is that these help documents like the one which you
mentioned for linking my facebook account to my Spotify Account are
outdated/incorrect.

Lets take
https://support.spotify.com/in/article/using-spotify-with-facebook/, it
says the following:
Connect an existing account to Facebook
Mobile and tablet
Desktop

1. Click in the top-right corner of the app.
2. Click *Settings*.
3. Under *Social*, click *CONNECT TO FACEBOOK*.
4. Enter your Facebook login details and click *Log In*.

However, there is no such tab called "*Social*" in the desktop app.

Hey there @12142102965,

Thanks for your reply.

On the desktop app under the Social section, you should see a field that says Facebook and a blue button - Connect to Facebook. from there you should be able to link your accounts.

Send us a screenshot of what you're seeing under Social when you open the settings, so we can check out if your client is running as expected.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts