Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Payment Issue, Weird Response from Spotify

Payment Issue, Weird Response from Spotify

I have had a premium account for several years. I upgraded to a family plan a little over a year ago. I recently had an issue with my credit card and got a new number. I forgot to change that on Spotify. Spotify notified me, and I fixed the payment information immediately. This was about 2 weeks ago. Spotify decided to sign me up for a premium account, not a family account and it destroyed my family account information. I have since fixed that and re-added everyone, so while annoying, that is all fixed now.

However, there has been another issue. Since this happened I cannot listen to podcasts on Spotify on my work computer or Google Home devices. I get a 403 error any time I try. I can listen to music on Spotify on this computer. I can also listen to podcasts on Spotify on my phone and home computer. I have checked with my work IT and there is nothing on this end that should be causing an issue. In fact my It person confirmed that they can listen to podcasts on Spotify on their work computer. This seems like a very strange issue.

Is there any path forward to fix this?

10 Replies

Hey @thewizardofosmium,

Thanks for posting here.

In this case it's a good idea to restart the PC, log out and log back in again to see if that changes anything.

You can also try disabling the hardware acceleration to see if that helps.

It's important to also make sure that the firewall is no affecting the performance of the app.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I had already restarted the computer and logged out and back in. I just tried disabling hardware acceleration. None of those things fixed the issue. The firewall is confirmed not to be the issue as all of the computers at the company are behind the same firewall, and as I mentioned originally I already checked with my IT department and confirmed they can listen to podcasts through Spotify. Also none of these solutions would account for the Google Home issue either.

It seems to me like there is some issue on Spotify's end with properly syncing updates to their database. Is there any other method to fix this issue?

Hi there @thewizardofosmium,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us and for your confirmation.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I'm using the chrome browser extension app, so not really. But I did "uninstall" and "reinstall" that. I was also sure to clear the cache. No change. I also really wasn't expecting it to change anything because I still don't think that answer takes into account the fact I can't play podcasts on the website at work or my google home at home.

Hi @thewizardofosmium,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you send us a short video which shows the issue in action (feel free to include the result of you simply playing music, instead of podcasts as well)?  You can attach it to your reply.

You could also try logging in to your account on another work computer to see if the issue is present there, In general, 403 implies that this is related to your internet connection, so if you're using VPN, try disabling it to see if that does the trick.

Keep us posted.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I can't send a video as that feature has been disabled on my work computer. I do not have any semblance of administrator rights. I can capture screenshots though. I marked what is happening in each image after I click the play button by the name.

I did log into a separate work computer. It does not work there either, so it definitely seems linked to my account specifically. I don't think we use a VPN at work, but the fact it works on another coworkers account on an identical computer on the same network should indicate that is not very likely to be the issue. Additionally, that also wouldn't explain my google homes not casting podcasts even though they are on the same network of my home laptop and cell phone that can play podcasts.

It suddenly began working this afternoon at work. I'll have to check google home when I make it home. I believe this further implies that it was an issue with Spotify properly updating their databases.

Hi @thewizardofosmium,

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

Awesome that it worked out in the end. Did you happen to test with another browser, for example Microsoft Edge to see if the same error messages appear there?

Keep us posted on the Google Home as well.

Take care.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

can anybody help me get my user name? please 

im paying premium but i forgot my account, this is my account 

WhatsApp-Image-2022-03-09-at-12.40.20-AM.jpg

Hey @chowscoperi0297,

Thanks for getting in touch about this.

In this case, we suggest that you try reaching out to our Customer Support through any of these channels, so they can take a closer look at your account and give you a hand with this. 

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts