Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium Family Account but only one user can play at a time

Premium Family Account but only one user can play at a time

Plan - PREMIUM Family

Country - Canada

My Question or Issue

I just recently upgraded to the Premium account so that my wife and I can both have our own lists etc. Additionally, will be adding my daughter.

However, it seems that, despite our having individual accounts, logins, etc if I am playing something on spotify while at work, and my wife decides to start playing her music at home, it kicks me out. And vice-versa. 

Basically, I'll be in the middle of a track and suddenly it stops playing. Then I'll notice the green bar at the bottom of the app showing that music is now streaming on one of the home speakers :

This "Office Speaker" is our google mini in the home officeThis "Office Speaker" is our google mini in the home office

Am I wrong in thinking that we should both be able to play music wherever we are as long as we're logged in on our own account (which are all under our Premium subscription)?

I appreciate any assistance.

6 Replies

Hey @6_ic-b5v6szl9,

With Premium, you can only play on one device at a time. If you begin playing on another device, playback on the original device is paused.

One Premium account is intended for single user usage only, not multiple 🙂

Hope this clears things up.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Spotify Premium is for individual listeners only, to allow multiple users to listen at once on one account you would have to get the premium family plan!

My apologies, we do have the family plan. Thanks for the response though.

It sounds like all family members are trying to use the same Spotify account to listen to music at the same time. To be able to listen to music at the same time, all family members need to have their own Spotify account. If they don't have a Spotify account yet, they can sign up on http://spoti.fi/2e1FH6k.

You can learn how to invite family members to your Premium for Family plan here: https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/premium_for_family/premium-for-family/

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey Maxim,

I appreciate your time attempting to help with this issue; unfortunately, though, we are on Premium Family and each have our own account, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Here are a couple screenshots. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 8.53.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 9.00.38 PM.png

This is why it's puzzling me so much. My wife and I should be able to play our own music at the same time.

I am wondering if this is an error in the Google Home setup, which I am going to explore tonight. I'll update if that turns out to be the issue.

Thanks again for all the help though!

Cheers

LOL exactly same here, mysterious "office speaker" comes on, listening "cadet espace" or something like that. Even if I select "forget this device" it is back in minute or so. Also on premium family plan, but none in my family has "office speaker".

Suggested posts