Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Privacy Issues - why do you need access to my photos?

Spotify Privacy Issues - why do you need access to my photos?

Hey guys - care to comment on this Forbes article?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/08/20/spotify-creepy-privacy-policy/

Why do you need access to:

"we may collect information stored on your mobile device, such as contacts, photos, or media files"

And:

"your phone’s GPS location"

I assume this is for more advertising revenue? Can't you just do the music side better rather than selling everyone out? Why do you need access to my entire life (which I'd rather not share - or at least have the choice to share)?

EDIT (for people starting at the top): Spotify CEO Daniel Ek has commented on this here - https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/08/21/sorry-2/

167 Replies

Cancelled my subscription I've enjoyed for years.

If Spotify does not remove these new 'entitlements to my data' that they grant themselves in the new Privacy Policy I too will be cancelling my subscription (Have been a paying user for more than 4 years) when my current subscription expires.

Apple Music suddenly looks a whole lot more attractive.

Canceled mine right now, and uninstalled the app.
Vote with the money.

The other minor reson is that they still havent added spotify connect to windows phone.

I was thinking about re-upping for Premium, definitely not doing that now. Jesus, this **bleep**ing company makes **bleep** decision after **bleep** decision.

I decided that whether Spotify listen to complaints or not this change to their privacy policy shows their attitude to their customers. So after just over four years I have just cancelled my subscription, uninstalled the app and I'm trialing the competition to find a new, less intrusive, home.

Good bye Spotify, I hope your new business model brings you all the success you deserve: none.

Can't think of a reasonable explanation for use of this extra data. Sensor data may be required for new features perhaps but photos? Contacts?

Are you expanding your social side? If so this is not the way to do it, because people will freak out over such broad things in the privacy policy. As indeed they are.

I'm waiting for an explanation, but it'd better be good or I'm off to Google, who at least already have all my personal information (because I gave it to them by using their other services).

Cancelled my subscription which I had for 4 years. Plenty of decent competitors out there.

Make sure you contact support to remove your credit card information otherwise it's stuck to your account even if you cancel the premium.

This is not ok!

can't beliebe it ... shame on you greedy B's!

The market for music streaming will prosper but if Spotify is not cancelling that ToS immediately they will end as a side note in Streaming History. There are options for us paying customers so we will answer with what hurts you the most... Unsubscribe & give our money to someone else. Customer Trust and loyality was most precious value you had ... Think about this! 

Subscription cancelled. Tell your friends. Bye bye.

Very interested to see what Spotify explanation to their piracy policy. Currently thinking about cancelling my subscription.

I've been a Spotify Premium customer for almost 4 years. I find it far more usable than Apple Music, and I really liked the new Weekly Discover function. But the new Privacy Policy is unacceptable. I work in confidential environments and actively use my mobile phone in them - it actually has to be certified by our IT department for this. Allowing it access to my contacts is already a very touchy topic, but allowing it access to media files is an absolute no-go.

Premium subscription was cancelled and the app uninstalled.

Leaving my Premuim too.  What a joke you are especially:

“If you don’t agree with the terms of this Privacy Policy, then please don’t use the Service.” – Spotify

You obviously hate your paid users - bye bye!

Been a premium subscriber since the early days, cancelled my subscription. Will resume if the policies are reverted back to previous version.

This is just too much. Ive been enjoying Spotify for years now, thinking a swedish company would not spy and track their paying customers. And now you are going to act no better than Google and Facebook and use data mining as a means to get richer on the expense of users who wants to just listen to some music in peace.

You should be ashamed of this behavior in my option, but I dont think you have the common sense to actually be. Most of you are probably giving out your private information on facebook and google anyway. I doubt you understand what it means to want privacy.

So I will be cancelling my subscription now.

Completely unacceptable, and I am amazed that Spotify haven't responded with anything but "best experience" mumbo-jumbo. How on earth will stealing my contacts and pictures improve my user experience?

Unistalled and unsubscribed.

Same here. Unsubscribed and Spotify will be uninstalled before I have to accept these ToS.

I am premium user, well I was untill now. Just canceled my account.

Sorry but that is a not acceptable.

I totally agree. The new terms and conditions are totally outrageous and I shall terminate my account rather than sign up for Spotify to have access for all my personal information.

I've seen people post '“If you don’t agree with the terms of this Privacy Policy, then please don’t use the Service.” – Spotify', where did people find this? Is it a twitter post or did Spotify staff post it in the forum?

Suggested posts