Spotify account not working with Chromecast

Solved!

Spotify account not working with Chromecast

Plan

Family

Country

Canada

Device

Samsung Galaxy S8, Google Home, (Account Issue)

Operating System

Android, Windows, Google

My Question or Issue

Spotify wont cast to any device. This happens regardless of the device used to cast. I can attempt to cast from my phone itself or from the google home (spotify linked) with the same results.

When attempting to cast to the receiving device, it indicates that a connection is being attempted, i.e. cast enabled soundbar will have a light blink, chromecast will show the spotify logo for a few moments and then it will return the the main screen once failed, or using the google home as a receiving speaker will make a bing noise.

I know this is an account issue and not a device issue with my phone, google home, or chromecast(s) because my wife (who is on my family plan) is able to cast to all of our same devices from all of our same devices without issue.

On my phone spotify will show cast enabled receiving devices on my network. On my PC it will only show spotify connect devices. When attempting to make a connection from my phone to a cast enabled device, my pc will briefly show that cast enabled device in the devices section but clicking it doesnt do anything. 

Another poster has had the same issue without resolution for 6 months: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Google-ChromeCast-not-working-from-Sp...

This issue just randomly started. I use this feature everyday and its part of the reason I pay for spotify premium in the first place.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I think that I've found a work around. I was able to sign into my account from another device and cast from that device. Once that was done, without any modification to the account on the original device, or Google Home, I was able to cast again using the original device, including the Google Home.  Note that logging out and in, completely reinstalling the application on the original device, or unlinking and relinking my spotify account the the Google Home wasn't able to fix this issue. Maybe it forced something that was bugging out on the account. This has resulted in me being able to cast again on all devices, but the account is still giving me occasional issues where it will still be finicky with casting in general. Thought I'd post in case it can help anyone else having a similar issue. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hey there @wylieca,

thanks for posting in the community !

It seems that you might be right and that you're experiencing an account issue.

Please use this contact page and reach out to customer support for them to fix the issue for you and in case needed open a new account for you, merge the two and transfer you data.

Just for general info, it's only possible to connect to Chromecast through the mobile app and the web player, but not through the desktop app.

Hope this helps.

I'm always around if you need any further instructions 😃

Marked as solution

I think that I've found a work around. I was able to sign into my account from another device and cast from that device. Once that was done, without any modification to the account on the original device, or Google Home, I was able to cast again using the original device, including the Google Home.  Note that logging out and in, completely reinstalling the application on the original device, or unlinking and relinking my spotify account the the Google Home wasn't able to fix this issue. Maybe it forced something that was bugging out on the account. This has resulted in me being able to cast again on all devices, but the account is still giving me occasional issues where it will still be finicky with casting in general. Thought I'd post in case it can help anyone else having a similar issue. 

Suggested posts