Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Solved!

Spotify friends activity empty/not updating

Plan

Premium

Country

Finland

Device

Pc

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For several months (pretty much years at this point), my Spotify friends feed has not been updating, it only shows 1 friend I have, while it should have a dozen others. This has been going on for far too long for it to be a problem on my end as I have changed my devices, settings, and other things to try and fix it. I have reinstalled Spotify and my OS but nothing helps. I also see no friends through my Facebook integration even after disconnecting and reconnecting my Facebook profile multiple times. All my settings are the same as my friends and he can see his friend activity but I can't. I already posted about this problem once, and was told it would fix itself but that was months ago. This is very infuriating as it has been going for so long.

spotifyhelp.png
spotifyhelp2.png
922 Replies

i have 3 friends on spotify and they used to show correctly in the friend activity panel, now they shows as blank lines and default portraits

NO 😞 Please change it back, this was one of my favourite ways of exploring new music and pretty getting an idea how that friend vibes

same here, my friends feed does not work anymore, but i enabled all options!

Your options aren’t the issue. Your friends options are turned off by default.

i know. but i asked some of my friends and family to turn their sharing on, and watched it, as they turned it on,

still didnt help

Please fix this. My friend and I also have this issue. This feature used to work quite well in 2020 and now it only shows maybe one or two songs a day and then goes days without updating. 

Hey. I've had this issue for months and idk what to do anymore. I double checked with my friends and they have this option activated so am i. I started following another friend this week and it worked for 1 day and then stoped working again. I've tried everything between reinstall and change all settings. Pls help

This issue is consistent for me and has been a reoccurring issue. Of course, like others here, I have tried uninstalling the program completely, deleting all registry files, using CC cleaner to ensure that everything is gone, rebooting, freshly reinstalling, same issue. It's really quite obnoxious that this has been a consistent reoccurring issue for years, and as paying customers we aren't able to access features that should be readily available. My friends obviously have the option to share their activity ticked as well. 

I noticed mine stopped working after I made a "spotify mix" with my friend.

same problem... i had many friends in friends activity and now its just one friend x2

What if it still doesn't work. After checking that setting on my device as also my friends its still not working and only showing few of my friends. 

Folks we are happy to investigate this for those who say it isn't working - but please read my post marked as 'top answer' - and we need BOTH YOU AND YOUR FRIEND to post here saying you give us permission to check. 

That's really sad and bad decision. It's like setting all statuses and stories on Facebook private by default.

Plan

Premium

Country

Austria

Device

(Lenovo Thinkpad X13)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Hello everyone!
I can't see my friends feed/friends activity. I tried everything in the FAQ's and also logged out/in, refreshed and reinstalled the app on my PC. It's allways showing the following in the friends feed/friends activity (see attachment):

ggg.png

I am also unable to connect to Facebook, where it shows the following issue pop up every time (see attachment):

hhh.png

Could you help me with this issue?

Hi there @Menelaos_f,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

I'd recommend going through the steps described in this support page to make sure that the 'Share Listening Activity' option is activated. 

In general a connecting to Facebook is not required to see your friends who you've added through Spotify directly. You can try closing the Facebook log in notification by hitting this back arrow. 

Let us know if that worked and how you get on with this.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Alex,

I did as the support page says, step by step everything.
I also tried this method 3 times (uninstallment and everything else).
It isn't helping the issue or solving my problem.
Could some of the developers/moderators maybe check if my account has some kind of issue?

Menelaos_f_0-1659099169756.png

MAJOR BUMMER: Spotify quite recently made an update where they changed everyone default settings to private. And you wouldn't even know until you took the time to be on your desktop app, notice you no longer saw any of your friends' listening activity, thought there was something wrong with your app, did everything under the sun to fix it, only to find out they made this major bummer of an update.

The Listening Activity panel was one of my favorite features on Spotify - such a fun social element to the app. Now everyone needs to go in and adjust their settings so that not only their friends' show up for them, but also so that they show up for their friends. And most people have no idea they need to do this. So, short of contacting every single personal you are friends w / following / your followers and telling them, everyone will just have to eventually figure this out and then potentially take the time and effort to update their settings.

BASICALLY: This update is a major bummer - Spotify, don't change people's settings for them. It's just not necessary, it's confusing, it's weird. Really hope enough people see this and are bugged by it that Spotify just goes back to the default being that your friends, followers, and followees can see each other's Listening Activity. 

MAJOR BUMMER: Spotify quite recently made an update where they changed everyone default settings to private. And you wouldn't even know until you took the time to be on your desktop app, notice you no longer saw any of your friends' listening activity, thought there was something wrong with your app, did everything under the sun to fix it, only to find out they made this major bummer of an update.

The Listening Activity panel was one of my favorite features on Spotify - such a fun social element to the app. Now everyone needs to go in and adjust their settings so that not only their friends' show up for them, but also so that they show up for their friends. And most people have no idea they need to do this. So, short of contacting every single personal you are friends w / following / your followers and telling them, everyone will just have to eventually figure this out and then potentially take the time and effort to update their settings.

BASICALLY: This update is a major bummer - Spotify, don't change people's settings for them. It's just not necessary, it's confusing, it's weird. Really hope enough people see this and are bugged by it that Spotify just goes back to the default being that your friends, followers, and followees can see each other's Listening Activity. 

I've done all of this and my friend activity is still not working at all

None of this is working, it only shows one friend when I follow many many people who have their settings set to show activity. 

For several months (pretty much years at this point), my Spotify friends feed has not been updating, it only shows 1 friend I have, while it should have a dozen others (also friends on spotify who I follow and who follows me back). This has been going on for far too long for it to be a problem on my end as I have changed my devices, settings, and other things to try and fix it. I have reinstalled Spotify and my OS but nothing helps. I also see no friends through my Facebook integration even after disconnecting and reconnecting my Facebook profile multiple times. All my settings are the same as my friends and he can see his friend activity but I can't. I already posted about this problem once, and was told it would fix itself but that was months ago. This is very infuriating as it has been going for so long. 

Suggested posts