[Android 4.4.2+]Cache on external SD card is possible

Solved!
Highlighted

[Android 4.4.2+]Cache on external SD card is possible

Joe
Community Legend

It seems a lot of folk running android 4.4.2+ have had trouble getting spotify to use an external SD card for its cache. I just bought a card for my android so I thought I'd give it a try and it worked!

My mobile

• Samsung Galagy Note 3 - android 4.4.2
  • Samsung 64GB SDXC UHS-1 card
  • Spotify 1.1.0.113

Steps I took

• Cleared spotify cache from options
  • Uninstalled spotify
  • Inserted SD card
  • Used file explorer to delete residual folder \android\data\com.spotify.music in internal storage (also delete the folder com.spotify.mobile.android.ui if it exists)
  • Installed spotify music
  • Played some tracks

I still see a com.spotify.music folder in internal storage but it's empty now.

If you have previously been using spotify with an external SD card, I recommend that, in addition to the steps above, you reformat the card in the phone before reinstalling spotify music.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: [Android 4.4.2+]Cache on external SD card is possible

sturmen
Casual Listener

The best way to check is to browse your internal storage with a file manager and make sure /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify is either empty or nonexistent.

View solution in original post

46 Replies

user-removed
Not applicable

Ok well as the phone I have is a week new and the android spotify app I got is new it would seem that all cache and user information is going to the SD card. I do have that same empty file spotify folder on internal, so all is good. What is the proper steps when I do update to a bigger SD card? Do I delete the cache only or all data off of the spotify app, then turn off phone and then change SD cards out, turn phone on and then start spotify again?

Joe
Community Legend

Clearing the cache from spotify settings should do the trick before swapping cards, yes.

sturmen
Casual Listener

Thanks man, worked like a charm. I didn't bother removing/inserting my SD card; it still did the trick with it in the entire time.

Liam
Community Legend
I'm nitpicking, but Android is UNIX based so you should really be using a forward slash in the file path 🙂

Walder1234
Casual Listener
THANKYOU! this worked for me. Basically I think the gist of it is to uninstall the app and reinstall it, making sure you manually remove spotify folders from the internal storage before reinstall.

Joe
Community Legend

Yeah. My post is totally belt and braces to cater for all possible situations. Glad I could help 🙂

Morice
Casual Listener

I cannot delete the folder com.spotify.mobile.android.ui, but its empty. how can that be?

Joe
Community Legend

If it's on your external SD card, connect to your PC and delete it from there. You did uninstall spotify first?

Morice
Casual Listener

Yes I did. 

Even on the computer I says, that the folder ist protectet from writing and I can't delete it. 

Is it possible that the reason is Directory Bind? I unmount the Binding, but it doesn't delete the Folder.

Edit: Works now, thank you man! The problem was Directory Bind. 

SUGGESTED POSTS