Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android App - Unusable] Stops playing randomly since last update.. and other issues

[Android App - Unusable] Stops playing randomly since last update.. and other issues

Plan

Premium

Country

Italy

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9+

Operating System

Android 9 w/ One UI 1.0

My Question or Issue

For a few days now, Spotify keeps randomly stopping music in various different ways:

1. Spotify playing in background > Lock device > Spotify stops playing after 6 seconds (wired earphones). If I light up the screen tapping on it or using the lock button, it starts playing again immediately. If I wait long enough with music not playing after locking the device, the music randomly starts again, then stops etc.

2. Spotify app open in foreground > lock device > stops playing with no evident pattern of time/track playback. It just stops playing after a random amount of time

Other issues since last update:

3. Widget in notification centre and lock screen works only 1/10 times, if I tap on the widget in the notification centre to open the app, Spotify app resets and starts playing the last track from the beginning. 

4. Remote controls in my car (steering wheel buttons, infotainment system buttons) work only 1/10 times. If I lock the device, they stop working after a few seconds and start working again when I unlock the device and re-open the Spotify app. 

5. Playback using external devices (Sonos, BlueOS) is extremely bugged now. The app will start playback on the device, then if I put the app in background and foreground again it won't control the device but show that music is stopped while it is still playing. If I press play, it starts playback from phone speakers. 

Can anybody help me with these issues? Mainly the first 2 I listed, which are making Spotify on my phone totally unusable, I have to keep the screen constantly on to make it work, which is frankly ridiculous. 

Thank you in advance for your help! 

15 Replies

Same problem here. I have an additional issue: when the music doesn't randomly stop, it's "lagging" and won't play smoothly.

I hope there will be an update fixing this soon because it's getting annoying to unlock my phone several times during a song.

EDIT: The app seems to work fine now that I did a clean reinstall. I hope it works for you.

Also having problems 1,2 and 3

Having the same exact issues; glad to hear it's not just my phone.

Not sure how to fix the widget problem, but I've done some googling and it seems that I may have found a fix for the "songs randomly stop playing until I reopen the app" issue. 

For reference, I have a Samsung Note 8. 

1. Go to Device Care

2. Click on Battery. 

3. Under "Usage by apps," scroll down until you find Spotify. 

4. Click on Spotify and look for the box that says "Put app to sleep." 

5. If box is checked, uncheck box. (For me, it was checked - I think/hope this is part of the reason Spotify kept randomly closing.) 

Hi @Tover,

Thanks for sharing your Spotify situation! 

Just FYI - when you have any type of issues with the app, it's advisable to first do a clean reinstall. It helps fixing a number of issues.

There is something else you could do if that does not help. Go to:

1. Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.
  2. Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable.
  3. Last step - restart the phone. 

Let us know how this worked out for you 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE, SPOTIFY PLEASE SOLVE THIS!!!

Exact same issue here. Deactivating battery optimization did not work. Clean reinstall did work for two or three weeks, now it stops playing again all the time. Spotify app is pretty much unusable now on Xiaomi Mi A2. Please fix asap, one cannot use the app like this

The same issue , also Mi A2 after last android one 10 update - I bought premium but the songs stop every 10minutes. I did all things sugested here (clean reinstal, battery options etc) - nothing helps! It's impossible to use Spotify apps like that. The issue seems to occur whilein offline mode - when online it seems to happen very rarely.

Out of nowhere about 2 weeks ago mine started doing the same thing. Put for my daily walk, wired headphones in and phone in my back pocket. Maybe I'll listen to one full song and then it's like it pauses but shows playing . I sometimes can.just pause and restart and it'll straighten up.  Today though  after clearing the app cache ,etc., would have to close and reopen the app...or like you said, screen unlocks and lights up..bam..plays..put phone in pocket ..quits lol Maybe it will quit that for the rest of the evening or get worse within 300 feet. Lol It seems to have happened after the.last android Spotify App update we got. Before never a problem and.2 months ago performed factory 3in my phone and started over..long story l. So guess I'll uninstall the App and Reinstall and see what happens. That worked I see for someone here. Hope it does for me. Any info is greatly appreciated, gotta have my Judas Preist and AC/DC.

Thanks for this, I got a A10E and my App was checked to be put asleep after use immediately...gonna check it out before a uninstall and reinstall...always lose music when i have to so one it seems. Thanks 

Hey @sswise19777!

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community!

It does sound like this might be caused by your battery saving/optimizing setting, so we'd recommend checking that with the steps that @Petya has posted.

It's also a good idea to check if Spotify is set as an exception if you're using any antivirus apps.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Similar issue here. Music stops randomly and music plays while the app is not aware of it. Since approx. two weeks. Didn't change any settings nor updated the phone. 

Hey there @_Sndwve,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

We'd suggest you start off by restarting the device. Then you can log out and log back in again. It's also a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing any issues.

If you have any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Been searching for a solution for so long, this finally did it! Thank you! 

Not only software issue but there are several reasons behind it here i mentioned source that help you to fix Spotify stops playing issue on any device

https://itechcliq.com/how-to-fix-spotify-automatically-stop-playing/

Suggested posts