Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android App sucks....

Android App sucks....

I've been a user of Spotify for about 2 weeks now. I love it. I made the switch from Google Play to this.

The desktop version is great!

The Android version. Well. It's soo bad I'm contemplating moving back to Google Play.

I cannot seem to reach out to anybody for help. There is no contact us anywhere... So I'll post here to see if there is any solutions.

Im using an LG G4. And before I go into my issues... I'll explain what I have all done to fix all these issues.

Reformatted SD card 10+ times.

Replaced SD card with a new one, different brand. Kingston being the first one, Samsung being the new one. Both are 64gb.

I have done the clean removal of the app, removed the cache and temp files.

I redid the phone to stock.

I tested preformance of my sd card by loading my card up with FLAC files and played music from it all day. No issues.

That said here are my issues. Music either stutters, pauses or simply does not play that has been downloaded on to my phones sd card.

The application randomly removes songs it has downloaded and says I cannot play them while in offline mode...

It takes a very long time to start up. And over all the application is very sluggish even when there isn't much running in the background.

Randomly logs me out while in offline mode. Making me go back online to log in... Uhhh this one makes zero sense specially in a 3 hour time frame.

Bluetooth is horrible. Playback is ok. When it works... Vehicle controls work maybe 60% of the time. Usually requires me to close the app and then load it again just to get it going.

I am really confused as to how this app has all these issues. When you download a song for offline play. It should just be exactly that.

Im almost thinking they have these songs encoded or encrpyted to ensure they can only be used by the application. If they do this for each file... I can see why the application has an issue after you hit a number of songs. Me... I love lots of music, so I have about 1200 songs downloaded. If it has to decrpyt or do anything to all those songs then the issues I'm having make sense and Spotify should look into a better solution for this.

If anybody has any solutions for me to try. Let me know. 🙂
11 Replies

Did you give the app storage permissions? It won't ask for it and if you don't permit it will clear any songs you downloaded (while still saving them for whatever reason).

I have. It's the first thing I do when I install it as I read a lot of issues stemming from that.

You add songs to the up next and if you touch anything the wrong way it all disappears which is the stupidest thing you could possibly imagine the most aggravating 

So I spent an hour making a list of songs I want to hear and then I touch the wrong button and it's all gone who creates an app like this I pay these people money and all I do is get mad angry and frustrated

If they don't give a **bleep** because I still pay the money

The last two versions have been terrible (I am not sure about the version released November 9th, haven't bothered to try).

I recommend you downgrade your app to 6.2, I know it's not really a solution in the sense that Spotify can't get their act together but it works better than their current releases. Issues it fixes:
+ Bluetooth controls not working
+ Spotify disappearing from notifications
+ Spotify being unresponsive in notifications
+ Spotify disappearing from lock screen

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/spotify-ltd/spotify/spotify-6-2-0-1028-release/

If you need help on how to install it let me know but considering the solutions you've tried I think you know what you're doing.

I'll give this a Try this weekend.

Sounds promising, though it's wierd how Spotify wont even say a peep about this issue, even if it's a " We're aware of the bug, and are working to fix it. " 

All I've seen from them is either nothing. or the cut and paste support from a text file I'm sure they have on their desktop. "Have you tried a clean install".

The November 9th update actually did nothing to fix it. Not that I can see. 

the windows app rocks, it's excellent, almost as nice as the browser version... just moved to android and i can't believe how terrible the android app is, i use it on a galaxy tablet, it's a mess and an eyesore - is there an alternative? if not, is an overhaul planned for the near future?

desktop gui - very nice:

01.png

browser gui - very nice:

02.png

android app - c'mon, is the best you can do? honestly, it's worthless. 03.jpg

in other news, the spotify forum has to be the most difficult, confusing, unorganized, chaotic forum on the net - locating a subject, topic and then trying to post is a ridiculously frustrating experience.

It still sucks. A lot.

Its frustraring because the ps4 version, smart tv version, iphone version, web version, desktop version all work great, its only the android app that sucks. I have faced all the issues you mention on your posts.

I dont know why spotify has not fixed this yet. 

Maybe you guys should hire better developers. 

If it wasnt because spotify is the music streaming app with the biggest music selection, i would cancel my suscription.

I dont like to pay for an app that takes like 5 minutes to load and freezes my phone. 

Randomly deletes my music and redownloads it again, stops, crashes, etc.

2018 and Android app still SUCKS... The iOS variant it's really consistent, fluid and 100% connected in iOS in perfect seamless with the system.

Android app? Bull**bleep**!!!!! C'mon Spotify, you said that your goal it's to offer the same experience across platforms and this is NOT HAPPENING!!!!!! Android app it's YEARS FAR from the iOS one. Android app it's a simple port of iOS one with less performance and less integration. I'm considering switching to another platform like TIDAL or Apple Music right now. I feel betrayed with Spotify on Android

The app works so bad that I would definitely switch to another platform if I did not happen to create my playlists on it.. Main issues are lag skipping songs, not playing, offline mode totally useless  - don't expect to listen to music when you are in the parisian subway (where precisely you need it the most)...
I have downloaded the app and my offline song a few times, does not improve.
I use a samsung S7..

Conclusion Spotify you still have me as subscribed user because I am lazy... but that wont last too long as frustration is growing.. 

I'll second that.   I love the music selection, but there's no Roku app for my TV and the Android app could be much better.   For example: WHY can I not use speech commands?  This is 2018 right?     Using my phone's speech recognition as an alterantive to typing isn't the answer.   Should be able to say "Spotify play_____" and be done with it.  Here's some breaking news for Spotify product dev team - people listen to streaming music [drammatic pause}   IN THIER CARS!   No really, it's true.

Good thing no one uses Android  /sarcasm

Suggested posts