Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

Operating System

Android 12

My Question or Issue

Up until yesterday my google voice assistant, both on my phone and when using Android Auto was working perfectly with Spotify.

Not sure when exactly things stopped working but now when I ask Google to do anything in Spotify, either on my phone or through Auto, it thinks for a while, then gives me a Something went Wrong error.

If trying on my phone it will actually open Spotify, but nothing will happen, then after the Something Went Wrong voice error it will suggest trying again with Spotify open.

I have tried the following:

Making sure Spotify and Android/Google apps are up to date

Unlinking Spotify from my Google account and relinking

Cleaning Spotify cache

Uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify

Restarting my phone 

Interestingly, if I ask Google the exact same questions at home through my Google Nest/Nest Audio, it works perfectly.

Only fails on my phone or via Android Auto.

23 Replies

yes same here in uk

Having same problem

Same here from France. I have a Pixel 6 and as you described, I have done anything.

I first thought that it came from my phone but asked my girlfriend who is using a LG one and she has the exact same problem.

We have tested with personalized playlist as well as random artists.

It didn't worked on phones but with my Sonos with Google assistant it worked as usual.

🤷‍♂️🤯

Same issue here on my S22 Ultra and wife's S22. Just got the phones Friday and it worked for a couple days and we noticed it not working yesterday. 

The same thing is happening on my phone it absolutely will not play anything with the Google assistant and I have the brand new s22 ultra 

Same issue, Pixel 6.

I uninstalled spotify and installed an older version dated last month from uptodown (google the website) and it now works, I have also turned off automatic updates

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

This was actually an issue that was reported but should be fixed now.

Can you confirm if you still experiencing this?

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello,

On my side, at least, the issue is now solved 👍

Thank you

Hey @Anthariel,

Thanks for your reply. 

We're glad to know that this is solved on your end. 

Remember the Community is here in case you ever need anything else. 

Have a great day.

AndresMModerator
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

Hi, this is happening to me while using an android head unit in my car. I used to be able to ask Google to play an artist or song on Spotify and it would. Now I just get a search result for that artist. Any help would be amazing as this was by far the most useful feature of all for me. 

Thank you 😊

Hey @Pavweb,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

In this case, you can try with the following:

• Restart your devices
  • Verify if they're up to date
  • Log out and log in twice on your device.

We'd like to confirm, is this happening when using Android Auto or if is it also happening when only using the app in the phone?

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

CarlosEModerator

Happening on my pixel 6a as of this morning. There is no voice control for Spotify anymore and the options are missing from the settings window

Hey @evil_andy,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

Could you share with us the troubleshooting you’ve already done? This way we can suggest any other alternatives for you to try.

On another note, did you try what was mentioned by @CarlosE? Make sure both your device and the app are up to date.

Lastly, we'd like to gather as much information as possible. Did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Same thing for me. When I hit search the microphone icon is no longer there and I cannot search via voice at all in Spotify.  

It happened a couple weeks ago and I've tried everything to remedy, to no avail.

Hey there @Scottdeitche,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Sorry for the confusion. We can confirm that voice control has been deprecated on mobile devices, that's why the mic icon isn't available anymore.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

So how am I supposed to search for music verbally? Is that no longer an option? 

Hey @Scottdeitche,

Thanks for your reply in this thread.

We understand what you're mentioning. At Spotify, we’re always working to deliver features that our users love. In order to make way for future innovations, and as @Eni mentioned before, we'll be removing the current “Hey Spotify” voice feature within our app. 

Hey Spotify” will still be available via Car Thing in the U.S. and users will be able to easily access other voice assistants from our integrated partners on their mobile devices. For more information about them, visit our support pages here.

We hope you found this helpful. We're always here to help.

Take care!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

My son can't yet read well and used this feature to search for songs. He's six. 

Suggested posts