Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

Staff
Community Manager
Community Manager

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution!

Staff
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the feedback you’ve given us so far. We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously, and do want your continued feedback. The best way for us to measure your comments are via votes in our Idea Exchange. 

For this reason we're going to lock this thread. We encourage you to move to the Idea Exchange area where you can vote and comment on feature requests. The idea most relevant to this thread is below:

Rest assured that your opinion matters to us and that it goes into making Spotify the best it can be.

View solution in original post

518 Replies

jcd727
Visitor

Swipe down from controls screen? From the mobile app? Not working.

GaiusBertus
Casual Listener

Yes, keep removing features, good idea, real solid. I was using the widget daily! 

DXTN
Regular

Good gravy, 2 pages since I posted half an hour ago. But seriously, that feature was the only thing that tethered me to Spotify. This removal sounds like the most amateurish thing to do, like a dev was like "hey, this widget is getting in the way of x feature" and he got the response of "ah they'll never notice, just remove it" I have been paying for Spotify since 2013, and this seriously makes me regret the last year of payment. 

I thought I was paying for the betterment of the app, not for you to remove useful features

TwilightLinkabl
Music Fan
How about we all subscribe to Google Play Music? They have a widget that
will not be removed at all. LOL xD

ryanbrunger
Visitor

But why? What is the reason to remove it? Does it cause a wider issue nobody is aware of? I now have to redesign my home screen to fix the massive hole you left. Or maybe I'll just cancel my subscription and get Tidal instead. They support their artists, their shuffle feature works and they have a widget.

RolandSpencer
Gig Goer

Put the widget back... The notification panel is not useful at all.  When you don't have Spotify running, the notification panel is not present.  So you have to open Spotify to start the music.  With the widget, however, you could start the music with a simple press of the play button.  This was EXTREMELY USEFUL because when I would go out walking or running, I could start out without Spotify playing; and when I was ready for music, a simple press of the play button on my bluetooth headphones would start the music.  Without the widget, that no longer works.  Now I have to take out my phone, turn the screen on, start Spotify, then start the music; all while trying to run.  It amazes me that you just keep removing useful functionality for ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON and expect people to keep paying you for less.  How about you drop the subscription price every time you take something useful away?  

TwilightLinkabl
Music Fan
The app randomly stops running on me at times, and when that happens, the
notification they are hoping we all use goes away. Good golly miss Molly!

Toni_V
Visitor

This is something I used every day.  Seriously, I love your widget player.  Don't make me choose between you and another service because you got rid of this!!  The swipe down doesn't work if music isn't playing.  I can't just hit a play button on my homescreen now.   #badbusinessidea Let's make it harder for people to use our service... Hmm.

TwilightLinkabl
Music Fan
I agree and I just had an issue with my copy of the app on my phone
stopping itself after making a call and I had to switch back to the app to
turn it back on. Spotify, if you see my reply, you are Literally just
bought yourself a ticket to go out of business.

zl8ieh2r3nkkjom
Casual Listener
Send an email to support@spotify.com. they responded with 30 minutes to me.

zeddy303
Visitor

Just an Easy excuse to unsubscribe. Spotify has gone down in quality.  Time to go back to downloaded music. 

teppotee

Really bad move. Made me start looking  for alternatives after MANY years of having premium account. 

Honestly can't understand the logic behind this. Spotify must be the only music player without widget controls (a very basic and essential feature). Unbelievable... 

Katerpillar

Why would you do that? I use that widget every day, and there wasn't even any warning it would disappear so I could not update the app. And then I come here and find absolutely no explanation as to why you would remove yet another useful feature from your paying customers. 

gb79a
Gig Goer

Holy moly, this thread has grown 20 pages since I first looked this morning.  Spotify - do you realise you **bleep**ed up massively yet?  This really is a fail of epic proportions.  Senior pointy-haireds somewhere need to be having serious conversations about how they try to un-ring this particular bell...

I'm still chuckling that they had the gall to say this was part of their plan to 'improve the customer experience' and then mark it 'Solved'...!

FFS, what a joke.

TwilightLinkabl
Music Fan
I agree! How is this "SOLVED."

Bahamutangel
Visitor

I use the widget every day. Was it causing a problem? The link to the "explanation" is not an explanation, what kind of PR gibberish garbage is that? Who do you think you're fooling? Guess this will be my last year of having a premium subscription. Don't make your product HARDER for your paying customers to use.

Papin
Regular

Since my phone doesn't have lockscreen now playing thingy, and notification is hard of reach when I use one hand, I will uninstall the app, since it's hogging up my phone's resource. You removed enough features (either from desktop, mobile, even my Smart TV) to make me hate you.

Too bad Google Play Music and Amazon Music is not available here. I will switch to Apple Music instead. At least they are really inproving without removing features like you.

Now I seriously want Apple to block you from App Store. You aren't fair to customers, so I hope Apple do the same to you.

TwilightLinkabl
Music Fan
I agree! What the stuff they have been doing is making their feedback
pages useless such as the so-called "new ideas" and "feedback forum" a
waste of time.

Laetca

Like many here, I used the widget constantly. Sadly I cannot roll back my automatic update, or I at least can't find how to do it. 

Since I can't do much more other than vote in the Idea thread, I was resigned to give this new way of working a chance. The first time I swipe down as suggested so I can like a song that is playing, the UI disappears. I have had to click the app icon to check if me ticking the little heart actually went through. It did, but why did the swiped down menu disappear?

TwilightLinkabl
Music Fan
Right? Geeze! With that said and done from Spotify and it's users, I am
thinking about unsubscribing from them. 😠 I read this one article that
said "they are taking the Android out of the Android."

TwilightLinkabl
Music Fan

That is fine and dandy.  However... when you pause the music the notification can go away very quickly with either an accidental swipe or tap of the clear all button.  When that happens, you have to take extra time, time someone might not have to bring the tunes back.  You literally take the Android out of Android.  

SUGGESTED POSTS