Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

518 Replies

The widget was great. It's removal is a mistake. Very disappointed Spotify 😡

Why would you remove one of the most useful fucntions?!

I use the widget every single day!

The widget was the only Spotify interface I used on my phone. Removing it made the app practically unusable for me. Especially when I'm in driving. With widget, I could just tap "play" or "next" on the home screen. Now, without widget, I'll have to drag the notifications down, maybe scroll to find the Spotify notification and press the button there. Nope, I'm not going to do that while driving. Too dangerous.

To be honest, I don't get it. I don't understand why you removed the feature I consider essential. You did not explain your reason in your post and you did not provide better alternative (controls in notification is an alternative, but it is not better). Can you please at least explain, why you made this change?

Of all the bonehead decision, you could have made! Seriously? This was the one of the only widget that I use everyday and you took it away even without a prior survey?

Love to know what your product manager team was thinking but I don't see any upside to this. 

I just found that the widget was gone after the update today. It worked really well and was convenient. Why did you remove it? 

This is so, so annoying. I use this widget every single day! The widgets on Android are one of the reasons I switched from an iPhone. Why would you remove this feature?!? Everyone else has a widget! It can't be that hard to just leave it be. Do not retire this please, please please!!!!!! The lock screen and drop down are only useful if you have the app open. I frequently hop from Spotify, to my podcasts and to my audiobook with the widgets. Please bring it back. Thank you!!!

This is the dumbest thing you guys ever did. Seriously. 

Wow,

That's just stupid. I use the widget everyday. It's the main way to access Spotify. Of course I can use the app icon and later the notification cantre, but that's not the same. With widget I instantly know what I am going to play, with one click.

I'd like to have the widget back ASAP.

And, as I can see, majority of Spotify users. 

wow why though. you guys have enough money to keep a simple widget running. and im sure it doesn't weigh on your conscience the amount of car accidents that will be caused by people now having to fidget with their phones to skip songs. 🤡🤡🤡

and im still **bleep** off that you took away the BPM detecting playlists why do I even give you my money anymore.

I signed up for this forum just to voice my opinion about how asinine this feature removal is.

I've used this widget across 3 different phones over the course of 5 years. Seems like such a small thing to get fussy over (and it surely is) but I used this every single day... and apparently so did hundreds (if not thousands) of others...  

And after looking through over 13 pages of these comments tells me one thing... you guys fugged up here. Why remove an OPTIONAL feature that didn't HAVE to be removed in the first place? Removing an optional feature like this is totally pointless and will only drive people to other platforms for their daily music streaming. Especially if you keep removing USEFUL features like this. If I wanted my Android to be more like an iPhone by having to scroll everything down from the top panel... then that's what I would've bought in the first place. 

13 pages as of Aug 13 to tell you this is utterly dumb.

No need to add anything, except to congratulate you for making me look out for another music app as a 6+ years (previously satisfied) subscriber.

#wth

For the record, I hate this idea and I don't think I'm alone. I'm extremely frustrated by this useless update and will most likely cancel my paid subscription for a streaming service that offers a widget... Like every other streaming service. 

"[...] more about why we removed the widget here."

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Choose-widget-is-gone/m-p/4800802/highlight/true#M154556

I don't see anything about "why" - what the **bleep** is going on with you guys?! Why would you do this?!

I want to see what is playing or will be continued when I tap play! I don't want to open the app, just use a widget! That's why we use Android, ffs!

Bring it back or give us a good reason at least!

As someone who uses spotify on my phone while driving, the widgit made it so I only had to unlock my phone and hit 1 button. Now, if I want to change songs, I have several more steps (becasue the drop down menu list isn't working for me) and that isn't what I need as a driver. With the widget I could literally do it without looking at my phone and now that is not possible. I will likely be seeking another service here soon. Spotify no longer provides the services that I need as a paying customer and I'm more than willing to take my money elsewhere.

What sort of fool made this decision.

I've used this widget every day for the past two years.

It was one of the reasons I bought premium so I could use this whilst in my car add free and hands free.

So upset over this. Absolutely annoyed and irritated and considering swapping over to another premium service if they have a widget. Currently searching.

I also signed up to this stupid community page just to post this that's how upset I feel.

I just discovered the removal of the widget this evening after using it just this morning. I have now uninstalled Spotify and loaded a previous version of the app that still contains the widget. I've turned off auto updating and do not plan to update the app unless the widget has returned. If this older version of the app stops working or giving me problems, I will be looking at Amazon or Google Music to switch.

I was fairly late to join Spotify, but have been a premium subscriber since 2015. If Amazon or Google Play have the ability to control the playback of another device on the same account, then that will be enough for me.

I agree with everyone here.

I used the widget to start playing the app as well as controlling it easily.

I can see no real reason the widget was removed apart from to cut back on time it would take to maintain development for all android devices, but as paying members of the app we spend the money so you can as well.

Cancelling subscription, thanks.

You guys continue to baffle my **bleep**ing mind. I am in awe at the complete lack of awareness you guys have for what your customers want. I have always been a fan of your services despite several irritating updates, but this may just be the tip of the **bleep**ing iceberg. Disgraceful.

Suggested posts