Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Huawei P20 lite

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

My app has been freezing and crashing almost non-stop lately, so please help me:

1. I often have to open Spotify 4 - 6 times because it completely freezes upon tapping the app icon. Sometimes the app opens but I cannot access the Search button or my library because the app then freezes again. It's rinse and repeat and seriously annoying. Sometimes the entire app crashes a few seconds after opening it and my entire phone freezes for a few seconds.

2. I have already had this problem earlier this year:

My app simply closes once I lock my screen. I have tried logging in and out, clearing the cache, force-stopping it, reinstalling it, clean reinstalling it, turning off my phone (...) I checked my phone for possible updates and whether Spotify has the necessary permissions to stay active in the background. Nothing helps. Also I do not use a SD card and I only have one Spotify profile, so I cannot switch. I first reported this problem in March this year. The issue fixed itself after a few weeks, however, it's back and even more annoyingly so. I cannot find help in other threads and do not want to wait another 2 months for the problem to fix itself since I'm paying money for this app.

Thanks.

6 Replies

Hi there @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue again, but we'll gladly help you out.

To have a better idea of what the root cause might be, could you let us know if this happens both when online and offline? Does it persists when using a different connection, like another WiFi network or mobile data?

We'd also like to know if the same happens in any other device where you use the app.

Lastly, we'd also like to know the exact Spotify version you're running.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hi Carlos, thanks for your reply!

I'm currently using Spotify ver. 8.6.68.1225.

My issues persist with any internet connection - both WiFi and mobile data. I tried connecting to Spotify at my friends house as well and experienced these issues, so I doubt my WiFi router is at fault.

I also tried opening the app while offline - it started with no issues, but froze as soon as I tapped on the My Library button.

Quick note -  I installed the latest Spotify update today. I haven't started Spotify enough times to notice a real difference, but it appears the extreme crashing has been fixed (for now, so far.)

My biggest and most annoying issue of the app crashing once I lock my screen unfortunately persists. I simply cannot listen to music with my screen locked.. .

Any ideas how I can fix that?

@carlose

Any tips on how to fix this issue, please?

Hi @user-removed,

Apologies for the delay in our reply, we'll be here to keep helping you!

We're glad to know one of the issues was resolved with the latest update, now let's check your playback with the screen locked. 

Please go to your phone's Battery settings and make sure the battery saver is toggled off for Spotify. 

Sometimes the background data settings can also stop Spotify from playing in the background. Go to your phone's App's settings, find the Spotify app and tap on it. Then tap on Data Usage and toggle on the "Background data" setting to allow the app to use data in the background.

Let us know how this goes. 

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The freezing issue hasn't been fully fixed yet -  it does freeze from time to time but not as much as it did ~3 weeks ago. I still have to open the app 3 - 4 times every once in a while.

I have double checked all my battery and app settings. My settings already permitted Spotify to run in the backround at all times. I turned my settings on and off again to no avail. This has been going on for over a month already and I'm honestly getting fed up with this...  Spotify simply crashes 4 - 5 seconds after I lock my screen. Every single time.

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you try to check if the same happens when you log in to your account on a different phone?

On another note, we'd like to know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update either of Spotify or the OS of your phone.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts