Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Auto download/remove podcast episodes?

Auto download/remove podcast episodes?

Hello, new to Spotify.  Is there an option for the app to auto download new podcast episodes, as well as auto removing played episodes ?

53 Replies

Hey there @nykspree8

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

The option you describe isn't currently available on Spotify. However, we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented 🙂 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Auto downloading podcasts is literally the only feature keeping me on Pocket Casts

Hey there

Thank you for your post. 

There's an idea about this feature. You can leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to auto downloading your podcasts like you wish to do at the moment.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

If you have any questions or concerns we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

SPOTIFY!!!! Fix This ASAP! UGHHHH!!!! I am a paying user for a Premium service and we are not getting a PREMIUM product!!!!!! I can not express my disappointment in what is supposed to be the leader in streaming companies. HAHAHA HAHAHA !!!!!

LOL i won't be as blunt as WaveBlaster but how auto-downloading isn't a part of the podcast section is beyond me. It is pretty standard for any podcast platform. Minus spotify I guess 

This issue has been discussed on Spotify's board for almost 5 years now.  It's pretty ridiculous that this very basic capability has not been addressed other than "we're looking into it, please vote", especially for premium members.   It's even more astounding considering that Spotify paid $400M+ to acquire 3 different podcasting companies in 2019.   Any timeline or progress report is appreciated.

Spotify makes less money when you use "off line" mode. So they aren't going to add a feature to make going off line easier. I use this app for Joe Rogan but I use a different app for everything else. I suggest others do the same

I wondered about this. So what you are saying they are getting money from the cell carriers for streaming? Is the data usage is what Spotify is getting a kick back from the carriers?

And that Spotify doesn't have half of the podcasts I listen to.
And the pretty bad Podcast UI. Podcast Addict is far better... for now.

All; literally all podcast player apps have the function to automatically download, except for Spotify, and all I've used also delete the downloads automatically. Even better is you can set the parameters of when to download, on wifi, plugged in... And also the terms of when to delete. This stuff is so simple. Get with it already Spotify

You say this feature is not available and offer this confusing statement on your page.

• Save the podcasts and shows you like. New episodes then automatically save.
  • Download to listen offline.

Whenever people have issues, you respond with the same form letter for everything. 
why can I automatically “save” something but then still have to download to listen offline. What is the difference?

I download to listen while driving through areas with patchy service and I don’t want to use data AT ALL with Spotify or any other app. The fact that there is no audio download means you want to play video at me while I am driving. Shame on your disregard for the safety your users and the people who are near them on the roads. I know joe Rogan videos are playing in peoples cars who are driving all around me because Spotify will not make a simple way to just listen to the audio only. It will even stop audio when it’s having trouble streaming the video.

So, every six months I try Spotify and every six months I am disappointed. Still no auto download and delete. Overcast is a much better podcast client on iOS still. How can Spotify invest $1b on Podcasting and not get this basic function right?

Totally agree with the other comments. If Spotify wants to compete in the podcast playing market they need to offer service that equal the others. I use a free podcast playing app for my podcasts simply because I can auto download episodes of podcasts I subscribe to. Something I can't do with Spotify. 

If Spotify were actually serious about podcasting, they would have had this feature from day one. It's clear that spotify execs are just posers who see this as a growing market segment but aren't actual podcast fans. 

One thing that attracted me to spotify is that it allows for easily sharing podcast episodes I like to Instagram stories. Anyone know of any apps that would be good for doing so?

I agree. Podcast Addict works great. Why can't Spotify make a good interface that doesn't need to gobble up all of my cell data? I listen to podcasts in areas with no internet connection at all, so I need to download them ahead of time. Every other player can be set to do this automatically. I'm paying for something that doesn't work.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback.

In this case we suggest that you head over to the idea that's provided in my last reply above and leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

You can read more about how ideas work and how your feedback reach Spotify here

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

So what is the magic number of votes on that idea that it's going to take to get y'all to take another look at implementing one of the most basic features of a halfway decent podcasting app?

Jeremy,

The idea you linked to has been deemed not important.

"We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts."

2k+ votes for a basic podcasting function and we still can't get any traction on this?

Suggested posts