Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't play local files through Spotify Connect - FEATURE REQUEST!

Can't play local files through Spotify Connect - FEATURE REQUEST!

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

(Mate 20 Pro)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Dear Spotify techies - please please please can you get Spotify Connect working with local music files. Apple do it with AirPlay, so why can't you? I really don't want to buy an iPhone as a way of fixing this - I like Android too much.

Why I want this:

As a DJ, I have a lot of local MP3 files that I've purchased from music download sites or ripped from CDs.

On my Windows desktop, I add these local files to Spotify, create playlists, sync them up with my Android phone, and happily listen to them using the Spotify app.

The problem comes when I want to use the app on my phone with my home hi-fi - I have a Marantz network streamer that has Spotify Connect.

The Spotify app will not play any local files via my Marantz network streamer. It only works with songs that are available in the Spotify Cloud.

Yes I could use Bluetooth but I don't want to. It's annoying. I wan to do this over the internet - it's more reliable.

If anyone has a workaround for this I'm all ears 🙂 Thanks.

9 Replies

Please Please Please can we have this feature!!! I have chrome casts all over the house and  Yamaha Amp that does connect but I cant play any tunes I recorded years ago

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

Currently there is no option to play local files through Connect. We appreciate your feedback and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also have a look in our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion.

If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea. You can also check this article how ideas work and how your feedback reaches the right teams.

Hope this was helpful. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi there,

Here the same problem. Spotify can not play local files (on my NAS) from the Spotify app into my Marantz receiver (NR 1710). I do can play local files in the Spotify app and listening on my iphone or on my PC but not to the receiver. Spotify then will skip these local files. I used Deezer before, and Deezer has a "cloud" function where you can upload your own MP3 so that you always could listen your own MP3's in the same playlists and within the app. 

The mentioned workaround to play local files in Spotify on your receiver via Bluetooth, is indeed possible but not really nice. 

So, does anyone know a (real) solution? 

Hey @mvh1973,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Currently you can play local files only on devices which can have them downloaded like PC, mobile phones and tablets. 

You can stream music from your phone to a receiver or play straight from it over WiFi with Spotify connect, however these devices don't have the capability to download local files on their own memory.

Hope this clears things up.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi Alex,
thanks for your response. I think too that the problem is that the receiver itself doesn't have the ability to store and play "local files" which are stored in my NAS. I can play these local files of course from my NAS via the receiver, but not via the Spotify app (but via the option 'Music server' button in the HEOS app. Normally no problem, but I have some playlists that consist of songs from Spotify and some local files from my NAS and in that case I can't play the whole playlist because of this issue.
Do you think Spotify will come with a solution? For example a "cloud" function like Deezer has?
Marcel

Hi @mvh1973

Thanks for your reply. 

Even though this is currently not possible, other users also think it would be a good idea. In this case, you can add your +VOTE and Subscribe to this thread. That way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it on to the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Have a good one 🙂

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I found one workaround; you can use the Airplay option in the Spotify app to play the whole playlists (including local files on NAS) to/via the Marantz receiver. But then you use the battery of your iphone instead of audiocasting via the receiver. Instead of choosing the Marantz receiver in option ‘Select device’ you can choose airplay first and then choose Marantz receiver. In the HEOS app then you can control and play all your playlistst including local files.

Same trouble here,

On my ipad i have local files inside my spotify playlist.
I'm only able to read the local files on the ipad or direct airplay / bluetouth. 

I need using Spotify connect on Yamaha MusicCast to play music on multirooms.
I cant read the local files through Spotify connected on a network streamer/amp.
Downloaded Spotify songs are not found by MusicCast in the section "on the ipad" unless they are downloaded.

So much frustration.

"Currently you can play local files only on devices which can have them downloaded like PC, mobile phones and tablets."

Hi I have the Sony HT A7000 soundbar and it can have local files on USB. I was hoping the Spotify Connect could pull files from the local storage, so I can blend my music into the stream music.

Is this not possible?

Suggested posts