Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable autoplay on Android auto

Solved!

Disable autoplay on Android auto

Hi all,

How on earth can I disable autostart whilst using Android Auto. Once it connects to Bluetooth it consistently won't turn off. I can imagine it's very distracting and certainly makes driving more hazodous. 

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There is a setting in android auto to disable the music from auto playing when connected. 

Setting Name: Start music automatically

Description: Automatically start media when you start driving

View solution in original post

Screenshot_20221229-225356.png
21 Replies

Hey @CinderKona,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know if your trying to stop Spotify from automatically playing music after a playlist/ album finishes, or trying to stop the app from opening automatically once you connect to your car?

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi

Yes I'm trying to stop Spotify playing automatically as soon as I log on.
Thanks for your help.

Hey @CinderKona,

Thanks for the clarification.

We understand your concern as it's quite annoying when music starts playing automatically. This functionality is depending on multiple factors in relation to Android devices and Bluetooth, rather than a setting that can be switched on/off in the Spotify app itself. You can find more info about this in this article, along with a solution that might work for you.

Something else that's possible on some devices is to go into the app settings for the Spotify app and switch off Autostart.

Note that this option might not be available on all phones.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a solution for this at the moment because the way the app behaves when connected to Bluetooth devices, including car stereo systems, varies based on the device involved. These actions are a result of how the specific Bluetooth device is designed to interact with the Spotify API. However, we’re constantly optimizing our app, so this behavior might change in future updates.

For now, we recommend checking for possible firmware updates  for your devices and if that doesn't help - to reach out to the manufacturer for further help with the Bluetooth configuration. 

Hope you find this info helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I just found the solution: Go to Android Auto -> General -> "Start Music Automatically" -> switch to off

THAT is complete BS.  Spotify is the only app that does this.  Where would  we be if all the apps automatically played upon start up?  I’m deleting Spotify.  I’ll just listen to podcasts from now on

Not true, whatever your default music or podcasting app is on Android Auto will start automatically if you have "Start Music Automatically" checked in Android Auto. Just switch that off as Coins already said. 

Tried to do this...
"Go to Android Auto -> General -> "Start Music Automatically" -> switch to off"

But it was already switched to off. I also learned that I don't have my car connected via Android Auto. I connect via bluetooth because my car doesn't have the compatible USB.

What worked for me was going to Settings in my phone, Connections, Looking for something else?, Android Auto, toggle off Start music automatically. Phew.

Marked as solution

There is a setting in android auto to disable the music from auto playing when connected. 

Setting Name: Start music automatically

Description: Automatically start media when you start driving

Screenshot_20221229-225356.png

I have this setting off and music auto starts anyway.

The XDA article you referenced, suggests paying for a [not free] third-party app (Tasker) to program a work-around. This is unacceptable. My car doesn't have settings to disable this from happening, Android auto has an auto start media check bux, already unchecked. This is a Spotify problem. Seems like a pretty basic thing as there are car and driving related settings in the Spotify app but nothing successfully addressing this problem. By not providing a legitimate solution to this problem, your just pushing customers to cancel Spotify subscription and use Pandora or Amazon music or Apple music instead.

Nope. Already have this disabled, doesn't fix it.

And actually, I think this (Settings in my phone, Connections, Looking for something else?, Android Auto, toggle off Start music automatically) did not solve the problem, but on the Spotify app, stopping Spotify from playing in the background did stop the music from automatically starting. I think. It's been a while, but I remember it was definitely a Spotify app issue.

wrong.

doesn't matter. turned that off already, still same problem persists.

Nope. It doesn't stop the auto play from happening every time I start android auto. still automatically starts music. many other users reporting the same issue. Spotify officially gas lighting this problem. no official acknowledgement. all they do is redirect to an XDA article suggesting to buy a tasker app and set a work-around script to patch the problem.

Cancelling Spotify because of this. I have messed around with every single setting on Android, Spotify, and even Android Auto (that I don't even use). Spotify 1000% knows and has control over this and they choose to do so. This is disgusting

I was able to disable auto-play by Uninstalling the Spotify app. Problem solved. 😎

This still isn't working for me. I still have the same issue with it auto playing. I don't have the setting within Spotify to turn it off. @spotify please help

Suggested posts