Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Editing playlist order on spotify mobile (Android)

Solved!

Editing playlist order on spotify mobile (Android)

Why doesn't spotify support manually changing the order of playlists on the mobile version?

Is there some kind of technical hurdle to work around or are Spotify just not listening to the people that are asking for it?

220 Replies

I need to be able to edit on my phone.  IOS users can do this.  How ridiculous that I should have to go boot up my PC, log in, make the changes, then go to my phone, refresh.   IOS users click edit, drag it where they want it, done.  As it should be for android.  

That is just completely unacceptable, Spotify.  I just finally saw the update response from August 17 saying that they have no plans to change this functionality.  Adios! I will take my subscription fees elsewhere, you know, somewhere they are earned.  

Guys

The solution is to go into the playlist you want to order. 

Drag down the image of the playlist and this adds lots of functions including sort ordering (I do by date added so I can play the newest added first) 

None of the proposals work on Android. You simply Can not move Single Songs up or down within your playlist as you can Do on Apple. This function is simply not being offered. Spotify ist not interessted in solving this Problem technically but Charge their Android customers the same as their Apple customers. No classy behaviour...

This is either a masterful troll or evidence that you haven't read the multiple identical responses in this thread (which are invariably followed up by posts pointing out how what you suggest is not a solution).  But in case you don't want to read through the thread - here's the problem.  What you have suggested allows sorting of the entire playlist according to some pre-set method (when you added the song, band name, etc.).  What we want is to be able to manually move individual songs around in a playlist.  For example, I create a 50 song playlist and then realize that I forgot a song that I want to play about halfway through the playlist.  I can add that song to the playlist and it was appear either first or last depending on your settings.  But there is no way to manually move it to the middle of the list on Android.  

Yeah man, that resolution isn't a resolution unfortunately.  

I know it's not peoples' fault trying to come up with solutions, but this thread is going in circles - I just saw today how old it is btw - holy sh*t this was started in 2014!  Lol, no wonder people are so frustrated!

Flicking back a few pages you'll see I posted an official response from Spotify from this August saying something along the lines of "this isn't in our pipeline and you're not going to see it happen soon".  So there's really no point in looking for workarounds or find a way to fix it.  This thread has been answered, with the answer we didn't want, and might as well be declared over and shut down.

The only real 'solution' is to ditch Spotify for a service that does have this incredibly basic but important functionality (what kind of streaming service makes it *harder* to build your own playlists???) I went for Google Play Music because I'm pretty heavily into their ecosystem (as many Android users are), but I'm pretty sure you can do it with Apple Music too and probably others like Amazon, Deezer etc although I don't know.  All of them give you trial periods though so you can check out which suits you best.  

And I'm repeating myself again but since Spotify has a free tier it's really no biggie - you can access all their homegrown playlists if you want (they're still better than most, especially Discover Weekly, although that's really the last truly innovative idea they've had imo and that was what - 2015?). And you can transfer your existing playlists to a new service with various Android apps if you want to listen without the ads.  But in my experience you won't actually miss it as much as you might think. I only open Spotify once or twice a month really.

Fact is, the streaming market is getting more and more competitive by the day, and with the Echo and Google Home and Apple's forthcoming smartspeaker looking like the future of casual listening at home - each of which are understandably more concerned with integrating their own streaming service than a third party app (and have a lot more money to fund a loss making service) - competition is going to get even more intense.  Spotify should be going all out blazing to give their customers not just a reason to stay but a reason to love them over all others.  Just one example - guy I worked with thought nothing of switching to Amazon Music when he got an Echo speaker for his birthday even though he previously didn't even know it existed, and since he uses it at home now it wouldn't make sense for him to have a different thing for his commute to the office.  Brand loyalty doesn't come into it, people just need one good reason to move and they'll be off before you can blink.  

Anyway, my overall point is that indifference to customers' suggestions on threads like this should be something Spotify should worry about a lot, as they're no longer the only player in town and anything that is losing them custom, no matter how small-seeming, should really, really matter.  The only thing they're doing differently to reach more users right now is operating a free tier, and if they lose too many premium subscribers (whether that's due to an underdeveloped Android app or something different) that bubble is going to burst very quickly.  Just looking back at posts in this thread over the years, I'm not the only person who has stopped paying for something that perhaps seems minor to them.  There must be many many more out there who didn't even bother writing here.

This is turning out to be a longer post than expected, more like a mini blog, so sorry about that, but it is intended to be my last word on this thread of frustration!  

tl:dr - Give it up guys, this is never gonna happen - put up with it or take your business elsewhere.

The sad truth is that spotify offers the fullest experience for music lovers, even if the android app is pants. All we can hope is that the other services catch up so we have a real choice. Of course, if you just want a music player and don't care about Connect, discovery and so on, then Play Music offers a rock solid android app. It hasn't been updated in ages (other than bug fixes) but it works.

Exactly.  Falling retention should always set off alarms, but it seems many of the posters here are amazingly reticent to leave.  Now that I see an official response that this is not an oversight on Spotifiy’s part, but a deliberate decision to omit this feature, I am not reticent at all.  I’m offended that they expect me to willingly pay for such subpar service.  

If you also run Sonos on your Android, you can go into a spotify playlist there and drag songs around in the way we all want. The new order then appears in the spotify app.

You can edit the order on any pc. The if you have an internet connection your pc and android device should synchronize to your newly ordered playlist. This issue is really only a problem if you don't have frequent access to any pc.

Even god isn't as eternal as "//TODO: playlist reordering on android"

No. It's still a problem. I need to be able to edit on the fly for fitness
classes.

"This issue is really only a problem if you don't have frequent access to any pc."

Yep that would be me then. And just about any other streaming service caters for my lack of frequent access to any PC.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

You can edit the song order on the fly by using the queue. Press the three
little dots on the right of the song tot add it tot the queue. You can edit
the queue by tapping the up-arrow just above the home button and then
tapping the button in the top-right that looks like three bars and a play
button. For permanent changes tot the playlist order you can still use your
pc.

The only option is to use a pc or get an iOS device. Dont waste your time falling down a rabbit hole of googles like I did. The message that Spotify sends is that they dont care about keeping Android users who are serious music connoisseurs as they dont care about one of the most basic features for you. I imagine the statistics point towards Android users mostly pirating their music so why bother giving them what they've wanted for YEARS when all you want is more people to drop Apple music. Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo y'all.

Problem solved. I cancelled my subscription!

Spotify, one music streaming service cannot just ignore a whole bunch of its customers and wave a gigantic f**k to their faces.

I am usually not rude, but this is infuriating. Get your fingers out your *** and get it done.

This should be the accepted answer!

@Bose1 wrote:

Problem solved. I cancelled my subscription!

Hey guys, if you would like to get this feature in, add your kudos to this idea so the Android team know how much you want it!

That idea has 1,572 votes and it is marked as "Good idea" but "not in the current pipeline"....
How many votes are needed to have it included in the current pipeline??

One more than it has at any given point in time.

Suggested posts