Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Editing playlist order on spotify mobile (Android)

Solved!

Editing playlist order on spotify mobile (Android)

Why doesn't spotify support manually changing the order of playlists on the mobile version?

Is there some kind of technical hurdle to work around or are Spotify just not listening to the people that are asking for it?

220 Replies

Ok I figured it out!! Go to the playlist you want to organize or sort.   At the top by the playlist, if you pull down or swipe right or left, a filter option will come up, and there will be an option to the right, it looks like 3 lines and a down arrow. Click this and select recently added. 

Holy **bleep**! You people that keep directing us to "sort" the playlist are retards. Please stop. I am so sick of it. This item is about "manually" re-ordering our songs. This feature exists for iPhone, but not Android. You guys are wasting our time.

I was waiting for a reaction but, surely, personal insults aren't necessary. 

All that does is sort by when you added songs. It does not allow you to
move an individual song around in a playlist. Spotify has expressly stated
that including this feature on Android isn't even on their roadmap.

Tbh since I began my Google Play trial in July I've barely used Spotify, except for occasionally sharing tracks on FB or my blog.

As well as the function this thread is about (not the sort function but moving individual tracks) its apps for Android and web are  better in many ways. The web player doesn't suck and you can also reorder playlists there. If there's a difference in their catalogue I haven't noticed after nearly 3 months of use. The system of uploading your own tracks is much easier and can be done via a desktop app or directly through your browser (although it's got the annoying thing of not recognizing alternative mixes or live versions Apple Music also has). 

I'd highly recommend Google over Spotify for Android users, as it's obviously designed with us in mind, whereas Spotify seem more interested in developing their IOS market.

Since Spotify has explicitly said in that message our concerns about their service are of no interest to them other than it being a "good idea" which will be ignored they aren't earning my money. And hey, they have a free tier anyway so you can use both (Spotify is better for discovering new music and their own playlists) 

So I figure it out. And this isn't just the pull down filter bs. 

Go to a playlist you want to reorder. Click any song from the list. Click the song title that shows up at the bottom (the one that shows you what song is playing) and it should take you to the artist album cover with song controls. 

Now click the icon at the top right at looks like some lines with a triangle in it. That will take you to the playlist arranger. Now reorder your playlist as you like.

You're welcome internet. You're welcome. *bows*

Screenshot_20170930-122239.png
Screenshot_20170930-122208.png

Erm, I think that simply rearranges the play queue, not the playlist. Check out Play Queue and History.

Not quite... That reorders the playing music list (ie what songs are next up) but does not edit the playlist itself. Changes to this won't be saved so it isn't really the same thing 😞

I don't think there's a workaround. I think we should accept this feature doesn't exist and won't exist given Spotify have said as much in black and white. 

They can't even be bothered to program a basic reordering feature that's available in all other OS versions?  I mean what is that like half a day for a single programmer?  Spotify truly love their Android based customers lol.

It is also bothering me. But when I first considered to use Google play
music instead. It appears that the family package wasn't supported in my
country, and still isn't. So I'm sticking around for now.

I have also considered leaving Spotify due to slow/no response on this
issue (edit of playlist order).

Will stay on for another month though.

Alright so I'm not saying it's in any way a good or even an adequate solution but you could technically do it from your mobile device by downloading Chrome Remote Desktop on both devices and connecting them. This will allow you to see your computer screen on your phone anywhere in the world as long as you have a network connection. From there, you could control spotify and rearrange the songs. Like I said, not a great solution, but at least a solution. 

Screenshot_2017-10-04-07-02-17.png

I literally just got a Samsung yesterday after being with iPhone for years, and imagine my surprise when I come to edit my playlist and discover that I can't. What are we? Neanderthals? Is somebody sorting this out?

Absolutely agree! Spotify can share all kinds of your personal information and choices - But for almost $10 a Month per device or about $20 per month for more than one device - You'd think that they could (F'ing SHOULD HAVE) been able to implement this. Pathetic! 

why does spotify never listen to their clients?

Updated just now. Still MISSING. More amazed the more I think about it than this feature isn't included. Come on, one dev, a week's time, tops, implement and test. 

This from Spotify when it gets an update on the Play Store 

"What's new,

We’re always making changes and improvements a to Spotify. To make sure you don’t miss a thing, just keep your Updates turned on."

Seriously - And just how many "updates" (cough cough) are needed before Spotify can figure out how to allow PAYING customers the ability to change the order of music tracks? Spotify has got the collecting the Payments perfected.. 

Hey All - saw you mentioned that once you sort a playlist on the PC desktop Spotify it's reflected for the same playlist on Android (Galaxy S7) smartphone - but not seeing that happen for me. 

Any suggestions to get sorted playlist to reflect?

Thanks!

Daniel

Hmmm, I just checked on my setup and changing the playlist order on my PC auto-propogated to my Galaxy S5.  Literally within a second after I made the change on the PC, I saw the song move to the new spot on my phone.  With Google Play Music, I'll sometimes have to manually refresh the problem (there is a "refresh" option users can select).  But I see nothing like that on Spotify.

Also, the playlist I conducted my little test on was NOT one that I had previously downloaded to my phone, so I don't know if that makes a difference.  I'll try it on a downloaded playlist this afternoon after I get back home to see if changes auto-propogate.

Just checked and auto-propogation of changes works with playlists that I've downloaded as well.  Might the Spotify app on your phone be in offline mode?

Suggested posts