Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Getting local files to work on your mobile (2020 Edition)

Getting local files to work on your mobile (2020 Edition)

I am starting a new topic for getting local files working on mobile devices as it's just taken me a good 3 hours to get a few songs that were ALREADY ON MY PHONE to work in the spotify app.
It's good to see that you guys haven't fixed this, when there's multiple threads on here from 5 YEARS AGO with the same problem.

Basically, if you have music already on your phone, despite spotify having an "Import local music" option on the mobile app, you will need to transfer these files to your PC (Makes sense right?)

So first thing you obviously need to do is, connect your phone to your PC and get the songs off your phone and onto you PC.

Once they are on you PC, you need to go to "..." > Edit > Preferences > Local Files > Show Local files (Slide to on) (**NOTE** I found that putting in an option under "Add a source" gave me even more issues than letting spotify find the songs on it's own)
Once done, go to the left bar and find the playlist called "Local Files"

From here, add all the songs you want into a custom playlist. Here's where it gets absolutely ridiculous....

Now logout on both your PC & phone.

Open settings in your PC > Update & Security > Windows Security > Firewall & Network Protection. Once here, click all 3 options (Domain, Private & Public Network) and turn the firewall OFF.

Ensure both your mobile AND PC are on the same WIFI connection (**NOTE** your PC CANNOT be connected via Ethernet it MUST be WIFI)

Now, log back into both of your spotify accounts, search for the playlist you just created on your PC, on your phone. Check the "Download" or "Make available offline" box and the songs will begin to download.

Once you have all songs, don't forget to turn your firewall back on or your PC will be left vulnerable.

**Extra note** If you have an anti-virus software other than Windows Defender, you will need to google your anti-virus software information for turning off it's firewall AS WELL AS windows defenders.

3 Replies

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work but thanks for bringing attention to the fact that Spotify still hasn't fixed this issue despite updates saying it's meant to be possible.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

@ArmourDyldo Glad to hear it worked out and you can enjoy your favorite jams.

@lolaswolf It's a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing any issues.

If that doesn't help, we'd suggest you check these steps.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you so much, you saved my day. I can't believe they don't fix it.

Suggested posts