Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

H.A.T.E. the updated app (Nov 2018) LOATHE it in fact.

H.A.T.E. the updated app (Nov 2018) LOATHE it in fact.

I really miss the Browse feature, which can currently only be found on the desktop app. I liked that feature and used it regularly. I realize the interface is streamlined, and it does look pretty decent, but the sheer loss of functionality is frankly infuriating, a term I do not use lightly. I miss "Similar to",  and "because you listened to...", and "suggested to you based on..." all of which are still available on the desktop app (and if you get rid of them there I'll have to stop listening to music, I swear!)

Look, I feel Spotify still gives me the best value for my money, but this new UI is driving me bonkers! If you MOVE features, that's one thing, but REMOVING ones that were genuinely useful is crazy! Does no one else use them? WHY? They're GREAT! I've discovered a ton of great new music with them, or simply found stuff that fit a mood but was different from my standards. 

This update is affecting Android. I dunno about anyone else. I don't understand why no one else seeems to be complaining?

P.S. some day we need to talk about how the app for TV (Samsung, in my case) works nothing like the phone apps. I know the medium is different, but somehow it doesn't feel seamless and never has.

4 Replies

I feel the exact same way. I don't like that the Browse tab is gone, and I'm also upset that the "repeat" button is no longer clearly on the play screen. It's inconvenient to have to keep going to the dots and cycle through not repeating, repeat, and repeat song every time. I hope they change this soon because it taken some of the ease and appeal out of the app.

Hey @Jaguwar and @JustChandra,

Thanks for your feedback!

We understand that with every change there will be people that like the changes, and that there will be people that prefer Spotify pre-change. Perhaps it just requires some getting used to because all features are still there. We've simply condensed features from 5 to 3 tabs.

If you'd really like to let us know what could be done better, we recommend posting in the Ideas Exchange. It's where you can post your ideas and have other users vote for it 🙂

Hope to see from you there soon! Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Allo Guido,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I understand what Spotify did. I'm suggesting it was a mistake. Your users are neither stupid nor incapable of using the app as it was.

Old tools (menus, if you prefer) are absolutely gone/replaced/modified to the point of being both un-findable and/or unrecognizable. When I'm at work and can't decide what to listen to, unable to dredge up the name of at band or album, I genuinely appreciated the joint features *Because you listened to XYZ" and "More like ABC" .

You say those are still there, on the app? I dare you to find it for me and I'll eat my words.

Meantime, here's another thing: is it just me or is the Spotify app s.l.o.w...a.s..m.o.l.a.s.s.e.s. it takes a good five minutes (no exaggeration) to go from the opening screen to things like Search or, almost as bad, from entering a search term to a search result actually showing up.

I'm sorry; I've been a paying Spotify user for a long time and never complained about the changes, rolling with the flow and giving the changes a chance. This last update is genuine garbage, and it needs quick salvation before you lose too much of your established base.

Hey @Jaguwar,

We really appreciate that you've been with us for so long, and that you've been flexible with our updates. We're constantly trying to improve the overall experience, and if we remove a feature during an update, we try to include something similar or a replacement to enhance the listening experience. 

In this case, we have from the Home tab different categories such as "Suggested artists", "Keep the vibe going", "More like ..." and "Recommended for your today". There's also a description on each category, and they should be formed by your listening experience. 

If we notice that a new feature does not do what it intends to, we consider different factors before (re)implementing or removing something. One of these is our Idea Exchange board. You'll find all the information about this here, and you can submit your own idea here. The more people vote, the more likely it is that we will make a change. 

Regarding the app itself being slow, we suggest a quick reinstall, and try different networks to see if that helps. 

Hope that helps, and let us know how it goes with the app.

Suggested posts