Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local file syncing over wifi broken on Android 4.4

Solved!

Local file syncing over wifi broken on Android 4.4

Hi, I cannot get my PC desktop client to sync local files with my Android device. Quick details:

• PC running Windows 8.1 with Spotify client 0.9.6.72.ge389c074
  • LG Nexus 5 running stock 4.4 KitKat with Spotify app released on 29th Nov (the 4.4 image art fix update)

The phone will not sync local files or recognise it's on the same network as my laptop at all. When a local file has been linked with a track in Spotify's catalogue then Spotify's version will be put on the phone and not my local version.

I have tried on 3 different wifi networks. Sync still works on my Samsung Nexus S (running CyanogenMod 10.3.1 Jelly Bean) with the same laptop so I suspect that this is an issue with 4.4.

When I try to hook things up to sync Spotify desktop's Devices screen just prompts me to connect a device. If I try to download a playlist with just local files to my phone then the app just says "Waiting to download." with no indication that it has discovered my laptop.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This sounds like the mobile device isn't being seen by the desktop client. Have you tried;

• Temporarily disabling all firewalls (including windows firewall), antivirus and other security programmes
  • Restartiing your router and Nexus 5

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Just to confirm, does the device appear under "Devices" in the desktop client at all? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

This sounds like the mobile device isn't being seen by the desktop client. Have you tried;

• Temporarily disabling all firewalls (including windows firewall), antivirus and other security programmes
  • Restartiing your router and Nexus 5

Ok, so disabling Windows firewall made it work. So I checked out the "what apps to let through Windows Firewall" setting and for some reason spotify.exe was unchecked. Problem solved. Not sure why it worked with my Nexus S though... very odd.

You're welcome 🙂

Suggested posts