Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files won't sync

Solved!

Local files won't sync

I have a Moto X updated to the latest firmware. For some reason, the last time I synced it, my playlists synced fine, including all the local files. Now, it refuses to sync the local tracks and I can't even play them over wi-fi. WHY??

Also, it would be nice to just sync things through USB. It makes no sense to require a wi-fi connection. I got a wireless internet adapter just for this purpose, and it doesn't even work. Exact same problem happened on my Android device. Spotify detects neither, despite being on the same wireless network.

• Playlists are set to available offline on all devices (desktop, iOS, Android)
  • Tried syncing through both USB and wi-fi
  • Tried disconnecting wired LAN connection to just use wi-fi
  • All devices were logged out, logged back in, restarted
  • Have reinstalled Spotify on all devices

Please give us the option to download the legacy version at least, I would rather use a dusty old app that works fine rather than a shiny new version that has more problems and fewer features.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

For the time being, I've found what works - you need to go into Windows Firewall and make an exception for Spotify be allowed through the firewall.

Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > Allow a program through Windows Firewall

Then, make sure Spotify is allowed on your home network. These boxes were unchecked, and until I checked them, nothing else I did fixed the problem for me.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

and yes - my wireless network is set as a "home" network. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the network and restarting spotify after as well, but it still doesn't detect my devices.

Marked as solution

For the time being, I've found what works - you need to go into Windows Firewall and make an exception for Spotify be allowed through the firewall.

Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > Allow a program through Windows Firewall

Then, make sure Spotify is allowed on your home network. These boxes were unchecked, and until I checked them, nothing else I did fixed the problem for me.

Hi, I know you've marked your post as resolved. This is actually a common issue and the fix you posted is known.

Appreciate you taking the time to return and post your fix, you could have saved some time by searching the forums a bit before posting as it's been mentioned more than once 😉

Glad you got it sorted though, it's a pain that Windows firewall seems to automatically block it.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thank youu! This solved my problem 🙂

I have the same issue and the firewall thing did not change anything for me. there are some guides to import local files to spotify and on your mobile device but because of the new layout, it is not working anymore.

there is no function to sync your local music with spotify/mobile device anymore, it was so easy back in these days.

are there other solutions? and no, thanks, the search-function in the forum does not help me because the solutions posted there all refer to the old layout

Please read the support topic here for assistance setting up local file sync: Listen to local files

Make sure that you are on the same WiFi network and Windows & third party firewalls are configured to allow the Spotify connection through.

Another point to note is that sometimes if a track is stored locally & is also available to stream then when you sync to your device it will automatically use the Spotify streaming version but the data from your playlist. If for some reason the metadata such as track length differs this can cause conflict and break the track. In this instance you are best off removing the local file from your playlist on the desktop and adding the track from the Spotify server then re-sync. This should fix this issue.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

@alexvilla 

The devices section will be coming back in a future update.

In the meantime:

You won't be able to see an indication in the desktop client that the device is paired with the desktop client. But as long as they both are on the same WiFi network you should be able to trigger the local files sync by toggling the offline toggle on the playlist on your phone. Just make sure all your local files are in the playlist you switch to offline in the desktop app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Please read the support topic here for assistance setting up local file sync: Listen to local files

This won't help. Yes, the files are .mp3.

Make sure that you are on the same WiFi network and Windows & third party firewalls are configured to allow the Spotify connection through. 

I've done that successfully

if a track is stored locally & is also available to stream

That is not the case. But

In this instance you are best off removing the local file from your playlist on the desktop and adding the track from the Spotify server then re-sync

I've done that too.

they both are on the same WiFi network...

They definetely are.

...you should be able to trigger the local files sync by toggling the offline toggle on the playlist on your phone

Not working.

Just make sure all your local files are in the playlist you switch to offline in the desktop app.

If local files are in a offline (desktop) playlist, I cannot download the playlist on my mobile phone. It neither won't let me switch the 'trigger' to offline, nor it won't let me just 'Download playlist'

The playlist on my desktop which is available offline, says on the phone: 'Waiting to download.'

Even if my phone and the desktop pc are in the same Wi-Fi I cannot play a local file on my phone, but on the dekstop.

This really is a problem for me, since it just appeared out of nowhere. I have purchased some CDs; this music is not available on Spotify, which is totally okay for me. But I cannot hear this music offline from one day to another. This is frustrating.

I'm thinking about leaving Spotify (Premium).

This is my last try to fix this issue. Please help me

This worked for me! Thanks!

Big thumbs up to this, you finally got my synced!

Suggested posts