Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music interrupted by notification/ring

Solved!

Music interrupted by notification/ring

Listening to music on Spotify on my Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.1, the music is always being interrupted by the notification sounds, like when I get a text. I cannot find the a setting that will stop this from happening, apart from getting rid of all notification and ringer sounds altogether, which I obviously do not want to do. Has anyone found a solution to this?

42 Replies

turning off notifications could work, but what if you are using a navigation software and listen to the music at the same time? You don't want to miss the instructions. What if you are waiting for an important message, but want to listen to music until it arrives? It takes two lines of code for Spotify to fix this, but they don't care. I am a software developer and sent them the code, but they are ignoring. 

Not to ressurect a dead thread, but in the newest version, they sort of fixed the problem. If you're device is not plugged into any auxilary or headphones it will duck properly...but once you plug something in it doesn't work anymore...not sure why this could be. Half way there though

The problem right now however is that if you use navigation like Waze, the directions you receive are in a lower volume as well so barely audible. So when you look at it right now it's actually worse than before. At least for me. Would be nice to have a toggle setting for this.

Even better, let the user select if the notification audio level drops or the spotify audio level drops, or disable the playback.

I *want* this behaviour (though it's broken at the moment). So I think it needs to be an option.

Quite right, and the toggle, logically, would be switching into or out of the Spotify app. So, in other words, there are your global Android settings regarding notifications, then there are your Spotify notifications settings that only apply when Spotify is on top.

This would be nice, but for now I just wish the feature worked like it was supposed to. I'd rather have it intuitively function without needing user interaction. Mayby, MAYBE, an option to choose how much the music ducks out of the way of a notification, but the notification be the same volume as the "global android settings" as you said. I feel like if it ducked an appropriate volume having user side settings wouldn't be necessary. 

This thread concerns music pausing on receiving audio notifications. It seems to have been fixed in release 0.7.9 but, unfortunately, both notification and music volumes are ducked when a notification comes in now.

If you are affected adversely by this, please post in the relevant thread here. Thanks.

In affected. If this isn't "the relevant thread" please publish a link to it here.

The link's in my post (I'll change the colour so it shows better) 🙂

I am experiencing this issue. I just moved from iOS to Android. I have a Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge running Android 5.0.2 and Spotify version 2.6.0.813. Supposedly this is a solved issue, but not in my case. When music is playing out of the phone speakers, the music ducks/fades out properly and you hear the notification along with the music. As soon as I use the AUX port for my headphones, when i receive a notification, the music cuts off entirely, makes a sound for my notification, then the music cuts back on. Why does the music fade out properly via the phone speakers, but not via the AUX port?

Hey man,

with your latest software you should be able to turn your notification
volume down. Keep the media volume up but turn ringtone and notification
and system sounds down to 0.

Hello Blindmouses,

I realize that is a workaround, but i need to hear my notifications. There are many times I am at the gym, jogging, or just plain old commuting and need to know if i received an important email. Silencing the notifications is actually worse for me than the music cutting out to hear the notifications. I don't understand why the fade / ducking out of the music works properly (in my eyes at least) when playback is done via the phone speakers and not when using the AUX port. It worked perfectly on my iOS for both playback on the phone speakrs and the AUX port.  

My problem is even worst. Spotify stops everytime i read newspapers online!!

I hace Android, yes... any idea of solution??

Thanks

Turn on DND (Do Not Disturb) and this will allow music player Spotify to play without interruption, #BE_WELL
RoberT A WilliamS

I had this issue whenever I liked or commented on FB app. Not an issue if I open FB in chrome web browser so my isssue is similar but a FB app issue.
Marked as solution

Try 'do not disturb' function and deselect when finished Spotify. I don't know if this availlable on any Android device. I work with Sony xperia with marshmallow

Works with DND on Android as stated, Using a Sony Xperia with Latest Android OS and Spotify App

I don't think so. I arrived here from a Google search    It happens to me, too, with my iOS devices.  

I had this same problem with the DOSS speakers and when I plugged it in it stopped. From the research I did, this is a tone that some manufacturers use to signal time to charge, although they forget that many people under age of, say, 30, may not have heard a busy signal before.

I'm not sure if this solves your problem, but I hope it helps someone out there.  

Suggested posts