Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stopping momentarily

Music stopping momentarily

Brief description of the issue:

For the last few weeks Spotify has been stopping spontaneously mid song. Sometimes for a moment or two, sometimes up to 10 seconds, occasionally it crashes completely. It behaves the same whether it is connected via bluetooth or line-in, whether it is playing an online or offline playlist, whether it is connected to Wifi,3G or 4G. No other apps are doing the same thing. I would see this happens once every 5-10 minutes during continuous listening

What steps you’ve tried already:

Turning the device on and off, closing and opening Spotify, uninstalling and re-installing Spotify, changing to lower quality, at least 4 different speakers, bluetooth and wired

Your device and operating system (e.g. Samsung Galaxy 4, 5.1.1)

Samsung S6 Edge

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium):

Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using:

7 Replies

@Jesseliz

You're not the only one. Samsung introduced an agressive power saving option which is closing Spotify when the application is sent to the background or the screen display turned off.

Check this thread:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Stops-playing-on-Samsung-Galaxy-S7-Edge/m-p/1311156/

There is a battery saving option that you need to turn off. More info here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/PSA-Samsung-users-please-read/td-p/1334731 

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks but I tried that too - I don't think it's the same thing because Spotify isn't closing, it's staying open but the music stops and starts

@Jesseliz

If that's the case, I would suggest deleting the cache and see if that solves it.

If not, a clean reinstall should be in order, which means deleting everything Spotify has created in your phone:

1. Uninstall the app from phone by going to 'Settings' -> 'Apps' then scroll to the Spotify app and tap on it. Once loaded press 'Uninstall'.
2. Using a file manager make sure that the below folders are deleted if they still exist:

• /emulated/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /ext_sd/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /sdcard1/Android/data/com.spotify.music
  • /data/media/0/Android/data/com.spotify.music

You will lose all preferences & offline playlists in doing this.

osorniosSpotify Star

I've done this and not I must've done something wrong because it deleted everything - all my playlists. It also somehow kicked me off premium. Despite this the playlists I shared with my husband still how on his account under my name and I can still see "family plan" on my account. The "recover playlists" option only says "you have not deleted any playlists".

And to add insult to injury I've been trialling Apple Music and it did the same thing so I guess the problem was with my device all along.

*sigh*

Any idea how to get my stuff back or get back on premium? At this point the only option I see is to cancel the subscription, re-do and manually add all my stuff back in.

@Jesseliz

Normally this happens when a duplicate account exists, one with a spotify username / password and one with your facebook details.

Did you get an email receipt for your subscription purchase? In it, it shows your Spotify username:

Username/ID:        xxxxxxx

Logout, and be sure to use it to login to your account. It's the one with the Premium features.

Don't worry. Your playlists and subscription status are independent from a software reinstall or even hardware malfunction.

osorniosSpotify Star

I don't think I've ever signed in with Facebook. I tracked down the receipt and the username matches. I also checked devices and manage family members and I've logged out of and into my phone several times to be sure. It's the same whether I'm on my laptop or my device.

I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Suggested posts