Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't Play Downloaded Songs When Offline

We're getting reports that downloaded songs are not playing when the app is not connected to the internet. The offline songs are grayed out but shows that they are downloaded. When connected back to the internet, same songs can be played without issues and still appear downloaded.

Hey,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We wanted to announce that this issue has been fixed from our end. However, keep in mind you might experience some inconveniences with your offline content that are caused by other things such as:

• The use of cache clearing apps/settings - these could interfere with the app's normal functions.
  • Storage issues - your device needs to have at least 1GB of free storage in order for Spotify to function correctly.
  • SD card issues - if you're using one, make sure to check out this FAQ.
  • Outdated app - not running the latest app version available can also cause performance issues. Check how to update the app in this Support article.
  • Having more than 5 devices with downloaded music - you can remove older devices by following the steps you'll find in this Support article
  • Not going online at least once in 30 days - your downloads might be removed because of this.
  • The content being removed from Spotify - the downloads will also be removed.

If you're still having trouble after checking all of the above, make sure to start a new thread in the relevant Help Board.

Comments

I have the exact same issue, I switched from premium student to being a member of premium family, since then all my downloaded songs won't play when I'm offline, even though my playlist shows the downloaded sign but all of the songs turn out grey whenever I'm offline and I can't play any of my music. This problem has been going on for over a week now, I've tried everything the Spotify Website suggested but nothing seems to solve this problem. 

Mathijs01

Plan

Family 

Country

The Netherlands 

Device

(iPhone 14 pro)

Operating System

(iOS 16.3.1)

My Question or Issue

The downloaded music won’t play when I’m not connected to the internet. It says the playlist is downloaded but every song is grayed our. When I’m online and then go offline the songs don’t gray out. This issue started occurring since I switched from premium to family. I already have tried resetting the app but this doesn’t seem to fix the issue. Also clearing the cache doesn’t help. 

dope_in_real_life

So when is this going to be fixed?!!! I think this is so unfair, that I keep paying for something that doesn’t work… Spotify keeps saying that we have to wait, but I think they are lying to us, and want people to pay full price….

Thalia5

Hello

I have this issue as well, this is the message I get when using offline mode with my downloaded songs. This occurred about 10 minutes after going offline and I had been online the whole day. After this, I was unable to access any of my downloaded songs. I have tried clearing my cache, exiting out the app and even deleting the app and reinstalling it.

36D939D2-0562-41A5-9EF9-4779206474B4.png

Thanks 🙂

desteenburgh

The primary reason I have a paid subscription is for the ability to download songs and playlists for offline listening while I drive. At first, it seemed like I was getting everything I wanted. However, for the past several months I have spent more time frustrated by strange new limitations than I have enjoying music.

1. The app seems to need to "phone home" before it will play anything. Maybe it would skip that step if I manually switch it to offline mode in the settings, but that has its own drawbacks. (Last time I used offline mode, I failed to switch it back to online mode and eventually the app refused to work at all. The "fix" involved redownloading my entire offline library, among other things.) This problem does not care whether I am in my car or just have no service.
  2. If I "shuffle" a playlist with hundreds of songs, all of which are downloaded, I will hear 2-3 dozen songs over and over. Occasionally I will hear a song that has not recently played. This is apparently a "feature" not a problem. This is not how I want to listen to a playlist with hundreds of songs, so I do not use the shuffle "feature" anymore.
  3. Most recently, the queue is not cooperating at all. I start the car, I hit play, and I drive. A few songs later, playback stops. Today, I checked the app before I started driving. I was connected to the car and everything was ready, I just had to put the car in gear and go. The queue had more than enough songs to last for my hour-long drive and also for the return trip. Playback stopped after only a few songs. The next time I stopped, I tried to quickly get back to roughly the same spot in my playlist, but the A-Z button seemed to be ignorant of almost the entire playlist. I spent the rest of that drive and the entire return trip listening to the sounds of my car instead of to music. I use Android Auto while driving, and I wonder if that has anything to do with this queue problem. Sometimes I have queue problems while sitting at my desk at work, but they could have started in the car on the way to work.

I really do not think I am asking much. I want offline playback, long playlists, and to remember the position in the last playlist. In an ideal world, the playlist could easily be randomized once in a while, and it would remain in that order until the next time I ask it to rearrange itself. If those features were combined with access to Spotify's catalog, I would be happy to continue paying for the subscription.

I am not happy right now.

Whateverwherever1234

Seems to be the same issue, I am having with my Apple Watch series 8 without sim card in combination with the IPhone 11. It took me a lot of trials to download a playlist to the watch and then it played for a week or so offline (I need it for running) and then it stopped to play after that and shows that some songs are not downloaded anymore. Irritating enough, it just stops playing and says it needs an internet connection instead of just playing then next song it has downladed.

Is there any fix for this or can somebody of the devs confirm if it is the same issue? It really annoys me a lot, as this is the main usecase for buying that watch: listen to spotify offline during my runs ... 

I've been having trouble with my downloaded music, which does not play when I'm not connected to wifi, even though it is downloaded. I've restarted the app, but nothing works
joaovitor31
Toda vez que fico offline minhas músicas não ficam disponíveis
kashew2
Offline used to work fine, but in recent months I can’t use it right. If I set my Spotify to offline it greys out all my downloaded songs and tells me I need to go online. Sometimes offline works but that’s if the app is set to offline while I’m connected to wifi. The app also tells me that my offline has expired which makes no sense because I’ll have logged into my account online within the same day. How did 30 days pass within 2 hours, man? This BS needs to be fixed or someone’s going to be refunding me half of what I’ve spent so far. I purchased Premium because I wasn’t getting consistent internet access and the main feature I use Premium for is giving me a headache.
I have the recurring Rs 59 premium student plan where it renews automatically every month and i can download songs.
However, up until now it was working fine but since a week It asks me to "check my connection" but I've downloaded the songs and i should be able to listen to it without my WiFi, that's the premium I'm paying for.
Please look into it, GREAT INCONVENIENCE