Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New update deleted most useful feature of Android app - browsing saved tracks by Artists

Solved!

New update deleted most useful feature of Android app - browsing saved tracks by Artists

This is concerning premium users mostly, however I am sure that there are free users that relied on this feature too. 

Alongside the new update, which changed the library UI in Android app, one of the most useful features disappeared: browsing saved songs by artists. Artist bookmark now lists only artists that you observe instead of listing all that you have saved songs of, and while clicking on artist now their online full page will appear instead of the list of saved songs sorted by albums. This is extremely infuriating for people like me, who kept their all offline music in library instead of playlists and have multitude of artists they do listen to. Now I cannot listen to my chosen tracks of one artist without reffering to self created playlist as Artists bookmark will lead me to their full page. Moreover, I cannot browse by artists AT ALL in offline mode as those full pages are purely online thing. They even deleted my Albums section, as Albums bookmark now lists only albums which are saved as a whole and do not list partially saved ones. I will not create 150 playlist for all of my Artists so if Spotify will not bring the feature back, I will have to consider withdrawing from subscription. Because why would I need and offline music app which I cannot use in offline mode in any usable way? 

123 Replies

I will drop Spotify if this is not corrected.  I might as well use Pandora if the artist tab no longer functions how it needs to.

This isn't just mobile, my saved artists list is gone from my desktop too! 

"And from now on, Your Library should contain any artists that you follow. Saving an album or song won’t automatically save the artist, so be sure to follow them in the future!"

The problem is that when yuou click a "followed" artist you aren't taken to your library, you go to the artist's Spotify page and when you click PLAY, it plays every song the artist has recorded, not just your saved songs.  I can't think of a single artist that I have saved all their songs.  Before this change I could click the artist and play and only the songs I had saved. An added bonus is, that on my andriod, the songs I have saved, are played twice in a row!

"Also, the saved Stations section has been removed from Your Library, but you can still start a Radio from any artist, album, or song. From there, Radios can be followed which’ll save them into your Playlists"

ohhhh, I see, to hear just the songs I like of a particular artist I just have to make a playlist.  Oh goody, 300 playlist!  I do not understand why spotify thinks this is an improvement.

Has there been any update to this? I'm pretty shocked that changing up the stupid  repeat button got real press, but this  fundamental redesign hasn't gotten any notice as far as I can tell. It's essentially deleted our entire libraries and there still hasn't been an offiical response by Spotify or anyone. 

Spotify, please rectify or I will take my money elsewhere.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Bring-Spotify-s-old-UI-back/idi-p/4674895

Link to a vote on the forums to change it back. This is a major problem and it needs more votes. 

Has there been any word about this?  My wife and coworkers don't have this terrible updated.  This update is terrible and I stopped paying for Spotify because of it. 

Artist tab UI.jpg

The update is still rolling out. I got it a month ago and decided to wait until right before next payment to cancel incase they revert it back in that time. Cancelled yesterday and switched to apple music. I refuse to pay for such a terrible service that spotify gives now. Before i was recommending them to people, now i am warning people to stay away from it. Such a sad way to go from the best music app around to by far the worst in one update. 

Seriously,  I just cancelled mine and now I am telling people how bad it is, warning them of there terrible UI futures.  

"saving an album won’t automatically save the songs within that album ... Saving an album or song won’t automatically save the artist" ... SHEER IDIOCY!

This seems like a clue to why they are doing this  ---->  "so be sure to follow them in the future!"    

Some numbskull in marketing must believe there is a difference between a) liking an artist enough to save their work and b) "following" them.   Instead of just working with the data they have, they are trying to manipulate users into creating seemingly different data points. 

My suggestion:  Unfollow every artists.

Oh boy am I glad I found this posting.  While I'm NOT happy that so many of you are suffering, I AM happy to know that I'm not the only one feeling like Spotify totally blew it !!

There seem to be 2 VERY VERY important things that I can no longer do after the recent update to the Android App:

1.  I can't browse to an Artist that I have downloaded/liked songs for, and see those songs and then play those songs.

2. I can't even restrict a search to the songs that are IN my Library !!!  For example, I have ONE song downloaded/saved from the artist BT.  If I use the search function, it shows me BT's "most popular" songs, tour dates, and a bunch of other **bleep** I don't care about.  I just want to pull up that song by BT and it seems the only way I can do it is by scrolling through a playlist of 600 songs looking for the one by BT?  

Ya - this is now so bad that if these couple of capabilities - WHICH WERE ALREADY THERE - aren't put back, I'm going to need to cancel.

Thanks,

Ted

hate the new update started a petition on it

http://chng.it/TbcDQCYDQ4

I hate it to - but the LAST place I want to put my name and email address is change.org !!

Thanks !

So glad that I finally remembered to google about this and found this thread!!!  I literally listen to Spotify (or did) 24/7.  The new variety of music that I hear that would have never been heard before is so cool!  

I would scan through all these new selected playlists, '+' the songs that I had any liking to.  By the end of the week or so, playlists would be done - but, I would still have the new songs just added in order right there in my "Songs" menu

And then.. the update comes... No more songs menu, no more artists filter that was so super easy to use.. Then seems to be a following update which even removes the '+' and you now only have the heart.  (The heart was always avoided by me because the likes weren't always easy to find like songs added to your library were.)

I literally can't use the app anymore - meaning it's changes have made it really inefficient to use.  I hope the issue is resolved soon - no point in family plan when the whole family's use changed...

awesome idea! glad i started reading posts after spewing my dislike for the update with all the rest of you... lol

thanks for the suggestion.

you may want to ensure your petition is gramatically correct before sending..

There is a major difference in understanding between "certain dongs" and "certain songs".. 

Jokes aside, I found that error because the petition interested me and would be something I would be willing to sign.  I believe many others would from the looks of this forum post. 

Well the update sucks **bleep**. If I save an album why in **bleep** do I need to save the songs seprately????

The option to play all songs at once was a better one. Were you guys drunk when this came through??

It just updated for me. I literally make my playlists by going through my artists and seeing what I have saved for each one. This makes me so mad... I can’t even use Spotify how I want to anymore. Please change it back, I and many others absolutely despise the new “features” that have made using Spotify completely inefficient. Who thought this would be a good idea?? Simply terrible. Considering switching services for sure unless it’s changed by summer. I need my **bleep** music!!!!!

Well I learned that b a l l s and h e l l are offensive words. Special kind of snowflakes aren't you!

Did installing an older .apk work for you? Have you had any issues or does it work fine on an older version of the app? 

I want to do the same, but I'd rather know for sure if it'll work before I redownload 10+GB of music

No, this doesn't help at all. Generally, I don't follow artists, I listen to their music. I always assumed that was the purpose of a music streaming app but clearly I was wrong about that.

Furthermore, the artists that are listed (whether followed our not) are not listed alphabetically making finding what I want to hear a very frustrating experience.

This needs to be fixed imminently and, preferably, the old UI restored or this subscription will be terminated!

I am beyond angry with Spotify at the moment. It's like going to a restaurant but you can only order vegan options and you have to have pudding first. Utter nonsense.

Suggested posts