Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No Internet connection on working wireless

Solved!

No Internet connection on working wireless

Android 9, Samsung Galaxy S+, Spotify Premium, U.S.A.

I see this is an ongoing issue marked "NOT RIGHT NOW."

I keep getting the "No Internet Connection" message on your Android app, but usually only when I'm on wireless. This has been ongoing. To solve it, I have to switch over to mobile data AND restart my phone. Spotify works on wireless for a while after that, but not after the phone goes untouched for a few minutes.

I've tried:
* Signing in and signing out
* Uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling

Spotify on my other devices (Chromebook, Windows 10) works all of the time, no problem. I have no other issues with apps and wireless on my Samsung.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

First off, my apologies for getting a detail wrong. My S5 DOES have an SD card. And, the SD card is the issue.
I went to Spotify preferences on both devices and switched storage from SD to internal and that solved the problem. The Spotify app is running as smooth as silk now.
Thanks for hanging in there with me and thanks for mentioning the SD card!

View solution in original post

17 Replies

This continually happens to me, too on Android (global network) despite reinstalls and logging on/off. I read changing the network or VPN sometimes fixes it, but it didn't with mine and my other apps/phone performed poorly under those settings. 

This has been ongoing for about 6 months now, but has been getting worse. I'm curious if a Spotify update a while ago needs to be re-configured/patched to automatically switch to mobile data when wifi disconnects?

Hey @Jhcampb and @teach5th

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

First we'd like to cover our bases and check with you that you've tried a clean reinstall of the app to make sure you have the latest version and that any outdated files are removed. The steps we've liked are more thorough than a regular reinstall and often help if the issue was caused by cached files going corrupted. 

We can also recommend that you check the phone's battery settings and make sure that Spotify is set as an exception if you're using the battery optimization option.

It's also a good idea to check that Spotify has the permissions to run in the background.

If that's not causing the issue, could you let us your Spotify version and, if possible, if you experience this on other mobile devices?

Keep us in the loop here!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

First we'd like to cover our bases and check with you that you've tried a clean reinstall of the app to make sure you have the latest version and that any outdated files are removed. 

I already had performed a clean install per instructions on this site.

We can also recommend that you check the phone's battery settings and make sure that Spotify is set as an exception if you're using the battery optimization option.

Spotify already was set as an exception.

It's also a good idea to check that Spotify has the permissions to run in the background.

It does.

If that's not causing the issue, could you let us your Spotify version and, if possible, if you experience this on other mobile devices?

Version 8.6.40.929

I have no other working mobile devices right now. 

I was using a reduced power option, and so I turned it off just now. I'll report back in a few hours to tell you if that had any effect on the issue. Thanks so much for your time!

It turns out, I didn't have to wait hours. I restarted my phone while connected to wireless, and Spotify gave me the "No Internet" notification (album and artist pictures not loading). I restarted with wireless turned off, and Spotify works like a champ. Spotify doesn't work for me while I'm connected to wireless.

Thanks for the quick replies @teach5th!

Could you try restarting your router to see if that will make a difference? Do you have trouble when you're on a certain wireless connection or only on your home Wi-Fi?

We'd also recommend turning off any VPN if you're using one. 

If you have the option, could you also log in on a different mobile device to check if you can use the app on Wi-Fi. This will help us determine where the issue is coming from.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator

It's not the router. Last restart was last evening. I have no VPN.
I was able to jump-start an old Samsung S5 and update Spotify on it. It works perfectly (no SIM, just wireless).
I tried disconnecting Spotify from Waze (GPS navigation app) on my S8+ and restarted. Wireless works now, although it's taking 40 to 60 seconds to load. Speed test on the device shows 367 Mbps. Waze was the only app connected to Spotify.
While on wireless and not connected to Waze, I've restarted three times, and each time wireless works, but with a slow start time.

Hi @teach5th

Thanks for getting back to us with this info!

We're glad to hear that things are now working. 

Would you mind trying for a few days and letting us know if it still takes longer to load?

We'll be here to see how it goes.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

So, I've spent a day on this. You may remember I got an old S5 to work yesterday, but it too got the "No Internet" message today. Restarting fixed the issue for a while, but it came back.

Meanwhile, after another clean reinstall of Spotify today, and after restarting my router, my S8 got the "No Internet" message on wireless and after a restart the same "No Internet" message while using its mobile connection. Clearing Spotify data and resigning in fixed it for a while, but it came back. The issue happens much more on cellular than on mobile, but it does happen on both.

Just to make it clear, on my S8, I have done a clean reinstall and after that had to clear data. My router has been restarted. Both Samsung phones have very slow loading when they do work.

I installed the Spotify app (from Google Play) on my Chromebook, and after a few restarts and complete shutdowns it is still loading quickly and streaming tunes like a champ.

PS: Spotify apps are working well on both of my Roku streaming sticks and both Windows 10 machines.

Hey @teach5th,

Thanks for the info 🙂

In case you're using an SD card, it's a good idea to try removing it, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD. Sometimes the SD card can lead to issues with the cache.

It's also a good idea to try clearing the host cache of the DNS with the steps below.

1. Open Google Chrome Web Browser.

2. In the URL bar type in chrome://net-internals/#dns

3. In the left pane click DNS.

4. In the right pane click Clear host cache.

We'd suggest you also try accessing the web player through your browser to see if that changes anything.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

I've always been able to use the Spotify web app. I tried again today and no problem.
I cleared host cache and for good measure I flushed my router's DNS.
I'm not messing with the SD card. My hands and fingers don't work so well. Besides, I have same issue on a Galaxy S5, which has no SIM or SD.
I have no problem streaming anything else using WiFi on my Galaxy S8. All streaming apps work perfectly except for Spotify.
Spotify Apps work on my other devices: Chromebook, Windows, and Roku Streaming Stick.

Hi there @teach5th,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you have someone log in with their account on one of the devices - such as a friend or a family member to see if the issue persist? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂
Marked as solution

First off, my apologies for getting a detail wrong. My S5 DOES have an SD card. And, the SD card is the issue.
I went to Spotify preferences on both devices and switched storage from SD to internal and that solved the problem. The Spotify app is running as smooth as silk now.
Thanks for hanging in there with me and thanks for mentioning the SD card!

Hi there @teach5th,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

We're really glad to see that everything is working as it should for you again 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi All,

I have been having the same issue. I have spent 8 hours across two days with the Spotify Advisors + Samsung Support, however, none of them have been able to help me. My spotify works when on Mobile Data or when I'm using a VPN on my WiFi. However, when I am just on WiFi - spotify doesn't work. I cannot search for anything as it claims there is "no internet connection" despite being connected to Super Fast WiFi. 

I can log-in to spotify web player using my phone's browser. Spotify works fine there. It also works on every other device in my house and it works for other people in my house. I have tried the clean installation - it doesn't work. I also do not have an SD card in my phone. 

Just a side note: When doing the clean installation of spotify, I went into internal storage > android > data and there were no folders or items in it. Not from spotify or anything. Please help, it is a very frustrating issue.

Hi there @4ryzexx,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

This is a very weird issue and it's most likely related specifically to your phone's hardware or some software network settings, since you get the error only while on WiFi. When you have a VPN active, some of the available networking ports get overridden by the VPN.

What you can try is to check if your Spotify gives the same error when connected to another WiFi network - like a mobile hotspot from the phone of a friend/ family member, or a public WiFi. This way you can test if the issue is related to your home WiFi or to the way your phone connects to WiFi in general. 

It's a good idea to try restarting your router, and if that doesn't work - changing your WiFi channel (you can see how to do this on the router's manufacturer website or by googling your router model). Something else worth trying is to check for any OS updates available on the phone and let them run.

Let us know how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

Your app generally messes with WiFi connectivity in a bad way after reading this I'd say im one of the lucky ones still with issues though it plays on wifi for 2-3mins b4 it wants to disconnect n have me have to reconnect my wifi this doesn't happen for anything else only spotify which makes listening to song while settling to sleep impossible n ive narrowed it down solely to the spotify app whatever you've done to it most wifi will see it as intrusive n either not work from beginning or cut out few mins into running the app which means its fishy n your trying to obtain private info your not suppose to either that or their is a major fault in the app but id go with the theft of info option as its wifi related 

This is exactly what i found when seeking info on wat data your taking so yeah fualt fully lies with Spotify as any wifi wont accept what there taking which is The company’s privacy policy also says it can get cookie data, IP addresses, the type of device you’re using, your browser type, your operating system, and information about some devices on your Wi-Fi network n its the last part here which is the problem when it comes to disconnects or the wifi just not working 

Suggested posts