Premium

Country

USA

Device

Pixel (Original)

Operating System

Android 9.0

My Question or Issue

As of Android Auto's 11/29 update, I can no longer control Spotify through Android Auto (A.A.) in offline mode. If I initiate it on my phone, either before or after plugging into my car (thereby opening A.A.), my car will play music from my library. Although the music will play in offline mode, the A.A. app will not recognize that Spotify is doing anything (i.e. it does not show up on the AA homescreen, nor can I skip forward or back tracks). When I manually open the Spotify app via AA, it shows only a "Spotify is currently in offline mode" message. 

Screenshot_20181130-231924.png
IMG_20181130_173958.jpg
39 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S9+

Operating System

Android 8.0

I'm having the same issue with Android Auto and Spotify.

I'm having exact same problem. AA just shows that spotify is in offline mode and prevents playing downloaded tracks.

If I switch it back to online mode and try playing downloaded tracks it still uses data like crazy as I have set the audio quality to high.

Please fix it ASAP as this is very frustrating.

Thanks, that'll work until they get a fix!! I didn't realize there was a
reputable site with past app versions.

I tried to roll back the update but even rolling back the update to Android Auto did not work... 

You need to rollback Spotify, not Android Auto.

I'm also having this problem, I noticed it because even in online mode when I'm going through a area with sketchy reception I can't play anything even though it's downloaded to my phone.

Galaxy S7 Android 8.0

Newest update of Android auto

Newest update of Spotify

I had to roll back both Spotify and Android Auto. I tried the most recent
version of Spotify with an older AA and vice-versa, but only older and
older worked. Hopefully we'll get a fix or at least an acknowledgement
soon. Thanks again for the tip!

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Motorola G6

Operating System

Android 8.0

Getting the same issue here when using offline mode. also found that if i use it in normal mode and start up my car / AA in an area without signal i cannot start to play any music until i get signal!!! very annoying. 

I am also having this problem.  When plugged into the car, Android Auto will not play downloaded songs and gives a warning message that "Spotify Is In Offline Mode".  

I use Spotify most often in my car, and bacause online mode will streaam tracks EVEN if they are downloaded to the phone, leaving Spotify in online mode so that I can listen while I drive is eating up  my data.

Please fix this ASAP Spotify!!!

After the december 6th update still getting the same issue plus a new issue where the option for downloaded playlists now also doesnt display on AA.

So they are actually making it worse LOL

This is super frustrating for me as well. Most of my drive to work is through no service areas. I used to be able to play offline music and use my cars controls. Now I have to use my phone, having to unlock and open spotify each time. Very frustrating; makes android auto mostly useless for me. I think I'm going to simply use my bluetooth connection since I have to use my phone to control it anyway. 

Same issue here.  I only recently got a car with Android Auto and for the first few weeks I had it I was using Spotify offline.  Then it just stopped working and these errors started. 

Same for me. Real annoying this new behaviour.

But I am not sure if it is a bug or desired. I think the app simply wants to sync with the server all day long.

Anyway. Real annoying and hopefully Spotify will care to change this. 

You are likely correct on that.  It's a behaviour that will make me swtich services though.  I enjoy Spotify, but being able to use it offline with Android Auto and not use data is one of my primary uses for it.   Super annoying.

I am havining the same issues. I was very happy with Spotify and Android Auto before but now It's just a pain in the a**. Since It's been a while now if it does not get fixes pon I am switching services although I am with you since 2012...

I'm also thinking it may be intentional. The app has always switched to online mode randomly, so I think this may just be a step further, but it's definitely a deal breaker for me.

Please fix it! This is an issue big enough for me to cancel my membership! I pay Spotify mainly to listen in offline mode in my car since I drive a lot. Fix it ASAP. Should be a top priority.

Hey folks,

Thanks for raising this with us on the Community.

This is something we are already aware of, and our tech team is currently looking into it.

In the meantime, you can head over to this thread and leave the requested information, which we will pass on to the relevant people. We will keep you updated there as soon as we have any updates.

Also don't forget to add your vote in the thread - that way we can see how many people are experiencing this issue.

Thanks again!

Suggested posts